Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

s362 vs pte 6266

Old 02-12-14, 05:16 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ed - I don't know about you lol but I will never ever spend 1700- 1800$ on a Turbo doesn't matter who makes it and what's it made out of.

I just think it's too much $$$ for a Turbo for the average person!

I would spend that money or more on an ecu though!

Ever got a price on rebuilding bb turbos? It's ridiculous , it's the price of a new one.thats a turn off for me.
Old 02-12-14, 05:27 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
ahh , excuse me , but did you actually click the link on second supraforums link . its actually on a stock motor , but the point is really about the shaft sizing being increased to withstand higher thrust .. the sec gen of 6266 is actually a torque monster and spool monster of a turbo ..
Ed, I saw both threads and the SP thread is a stock compression 272, cam, RMR intake, 4" 90mm TB, and made 766 at lets say 35psi peak (766) at say 6100 and 1000 rpms later dropped over 60 hp (28psi) pretty week powerband for a 272 cam car with a big intake and TB.

I personally think that if you really want to prove the value of these types (sizes) of turbos put them on a stock JZ motor with oem accessories IE: intake, TB, IC, cams and let them shine.

Reason being this 62 mm does not have the ability to move enough CFM especially through a 5 ETS intercooler or a plenum RMR that is Approx 40% larger in volume and feed the cams in either thread. In my opinion this is like running a Stock CT12 on a BB chevy and hoping for miracles, the motor just eats it up.

or like a Pro mod on a 1.6 liter stock Honda.
Just my observation.

PS. In the IP Thread the same car they bolted an 8285 and made 1300+. Get my point!!!!

This is like saying what motor you bolting to that turbo to!!!.

Not a fan of PTE but combinations are everything both good and bad.
Just sayin!!!!!!!!!!!
Also I believe that both these Companies IP and SP are deep in the pocket of PTE not a bad thing but it is what it is.

Last edited by blk&blu*j; 02-12-14 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 05:30 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ok if you say so
Old 02-12-14, 05:36 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
ok if you say so
You obviously disagree but on what point

And for the record a 6266 gen 2 PTE is like $1800 USD.

Please feel free to post up your thoughts I love Debate!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-14, 05:09 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

the bb is 1700 the jb is 1000 bucks (like the bw price)

so if you are saying the 62mm does not move enough air, should I be looking more towards a 64 mm turbo?
I would go to a 67, but I plan on running a r154, and that will be the limiting factor in the setup and I know a 67 on e85 would make more than enough power to blow up the r154.

do the jb pte turbos come with the larger shaft as well? or is that only the bb?
Old 02-13-14, 05:52 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mecheng10
the bb is 1700 the jb is 1000 bucks (like the bw price)

so if you are saying the 62mm does not move enough air, should I be looking more towards a 64 mm turbo?
I would go to a 67, but I plan on running a r154, and that will be the limiting factor in the setup and I know a 67 on e85 would make more than enough power to blow up the r154.

do the jb pte turbos come with the larger shaft as well? or is that only the bb?
The R154 will handle 700 hp without to many issues.
So your buying a turbo based on your trans
The 62mm not moving enough cfm was directed at the SF links that ED posted as both those cars were cammed with big intakes ETC.ETC.
Not familiar with the JB PTE and shaft size but I can tell you that the non BB seem more prone to failure, as I'm sure others will agree.
I will say that the new 64 mm BW coming out will be a badass little turbo with spool similar to a 60mm and CFM volume similar to a 67mm.
Old 02-13-14, 09:25 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=blk&blu*j;8378407]The R154 will handle 700 hp without to many issues.
So your buying a turbo based on your trans

it makes sense to me to do that.
that way I can get the most out of the turbo, and the most out of the car.
there wouldn't really be a reason to buy a big turbo if you cant even be in the efficiently range for the turbo.

and Ill probably end up getting that 64mm. haven't seen any results yet, but they sponsors are talking huge game about it.

I plan on doing a build in a few stages.
you know start with a stock block
then a second stage of built head
then a third stage of all out built motor
Old 02-13-14, 11:12 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my journal bearing PTE turbo is crap. It's outside and already has rust and spider webs on it. Someone pick it up NOW!
Old 02-13-14, 11:56 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

ive read about just as many PTE turbos failing as i have BW turbos. but if i had to choose i would choose the PTE all day long. but if going to pony up the cash regardless, might as well go BB PTE.... just my own .02
Old 02-14-14, 06:01 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
ive read about just as many PTE turbos failing as i have BW turbos. but if i had to choose i would choose the PTE all day long. but if going to pony up the cash regardless, might as well go BB PTE.... just my own .02
why would you choose pte? experience?
can you explain further?
Old 02-14-14, 08:49 AM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am writing this from years of experience !!! In the last 3-4 years I have rebuilt 4 PTE turbos, 6765. The 5th is still in its org box. I installed it drove 1 day, blew the rear seal. I was told each and every time " oil contamination " . let me clear this up real quick. I have a cheap 10 year old Ebay OBX turbo. Every time the Precision took a chit, i would reinstall the OBX. Never did I change the oil after swapping the turbos out . The 5th 6765 broke a year and a half ago. My Ebay special is still in the car and running strong.

I have, but have not yet install a BW s366. The OBX is and has been a super dependable turbo, however very very laggy. 103 hot side .If it wasn't for that fact I would never replace the OBX. For obvious reason I went with the BW this time around. Besides everyone of the cars I've helped build, we ran BW's. And every single one of those car are still on the road running stong. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.
Old 02-14-14, 09:03 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by //LRD
I am writing this from years of experience !!! In the last 3-4 years I have rebuilt 4 PTE turbos, 6765. The 5th is still in its org box. I installed it drove 1 day, blew the rear seal. I was told each and every time " oil contamination " . let me clear this up real quick. I have a cheap 10 year old Ebay OBX turbo. Every time the Precision took a chit, i would reinstall the OBX. Never did I change the oil after swapping the turbos out . The 5th 6765 broke a year and a half ago. My Ebay special is still in the car and running strong.

I have, but have not yet install a BW s366. The OBX is and has been a super dependable turbo, however very very laggy. 103 hot side .If it wasn't for that fact I would never replace the OBX. For obvious reason I went with the BW this time around. Besides everyone of the cars I've helped build, we ran BW's. And every single one of those car are still on the road running stong. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.
thank you for your experience!
Old 02-14-14, 11:41 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice Post John!!

Keep up posted , hopefully it works out for you!
Old 02-15-14, 02:11 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

LMFAO. So basically ebay turbos are better than PTE. Instead of people dissing ebay turbos and turbo kits...PTE is the new trash turbo.

edit: Okay sorry for my dramatic words. But it is just surprising since I've seen PTE do so great on some high power cars. I figure it's impossible to sell this turbo now. I feel like a chump sitting on a hunk of useless metal lol

Last edited by ashtray; 02-15-14 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-15-14, 02:21 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by //LRD

I'm just curious, do turbos have "break in" milage? Did you just go full throttle on it right away? Reason I ask is the PTE turbo I have has ~5k miles. Seller said it did not smoke at all and spooled hella fast on his supra. Now I have ownership of the turbo and there is practically NO shaft play. Just curious if maybe THIS pte turbo is okay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: s362 vs pte 6266