Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Whine From Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 11:04 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whine From Car

Ok having two seperate whines coming from my car.

One is RPM related and is especially noticeable when the wheel is turned. Pretty sure this is just a power steering issue. Just got back from vacation, so obviously will bleed the system and check the fluid level.

There is another whine coming from the car that is speed related. I tried searching but found nothing. When the car gets above ~34 mph a high pitched whine that is related to speed starts. Below that speed there is no noise. What could be causing this? Is it wheel bearings, or something else?
Old 01-15-14, 11:08 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Have you jacked up each corner and rolled the wheel? Your description is extremely vague. You're about to have all sorts of experts tell you stories of what happened to them and swear it will be your issue too. Do a little investigating and then come back.
Old 01-15-14, 06:54 PM
emoFTW
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a whine from my rear end, but it's because I have solid diff/subframe bushings.
Old 02-12-14, 04:00 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

I know it's been awhile.
Weather here has been awful and been driving my ****ty buick.
Today was the first nice day and I took care of the power steering issue, so obviously the RPM noise with the wheel turned went away.
Just bled and burped the system.

Had the front tires off the ground and they both rotated freely without making any noises.

What could possibly cause a high pitched whine that ramps up with speed?
The whine starts around 34-35 mph and the pitch of the whine increases with speed.
It's very high pitched and is not related to RPM at all, it is only related to the speed I'm driving.
It sounds like it's coming from the front of the car and is more audible with the windows up than with the windows down.

Has anyone ever even heard of a problem like this, or could anyone even point me in directions to investigate? I'm still a noobie and I'm a little stumped by this one.
Old 02-12-14, 04:03 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Also reading around some people say this whine could come from the rear diff.
Gonna try and drain and fill the rear diff on friday and see if the whine goes away. In the meantime does anyone else have any ideas?
Old 02-12-14, 09:14 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Before you mess w/ the diff, do what Vrank mentioned and see if the wheel bearings whine upon rolling them.

Is this kinda what your SC is doing?

Old 02-13-14, 08:53 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
Also reading around some people say this whine could come from the rear diff.
Gonna try and drain and fill the rear diff on friday and see if the whine goes away. In the meantime does anyone else have any ideas?
Does it sound at all squeaky/metal....ly? My experience with this turned out the be my wheel bearing having grenaded
Old 02-14-14, 06:01 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

i have a whine too, around 25-30 mph. it's also speed only and sounds like a high pitched hum, doesn't sound like metal or anything.

mine also stops after that speed, it's just this small window that it whines at
Old 02-19-14, 02:43 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Before you mess w/ the diff, do what Vrank mentioned and see if the wheel bearings whine upon rolling them.

Is this kinda what your SC is doing?

Lexus SC400 whine - YouTube
Yes, it's doing that, but only when it's cold outside. So I haven't heard it for awhile until driving last night.

Also the first time I jacked it up I just rotated the tires and didn't hear anything, but earlier today I jacked it up again and tried wiggling the wheels, the two front wheels will wiggle from side to side just a little bit, but won't wiggle at all from top to bottom.

That means the wheel bearings are going out right?
Old 02-19-14, 05:53 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

It's fine if there is very minimal movement but if it seems to have excessive play, your bearings could use a replacement.
Old 02-19-14, 10:30 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Also I should mention that I hit a dog going ~85 mph on the freeway. It seperated my tire from the bead on my rim.
The next time I drove it was when the whine started.
Also about a day ago there is a rhythmic clunking that started whenever the wheel is rolling. It's audible from 0 mph all the way to ~30 mph.
Could there be another suspension componenet that would create a rhythmic clunking and create play in the wheel from side to side but not top to bottom, or is it pretty much definitely gonna be a wheel bearing?
When the tires are lifted off the ground there is no noise when rotating the tire, but when driving the clunk becomes apparent.
Old 11-15-14, 10:04 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

So just an update here.
The rhythmic clunking was 3 broken wheel studs. After I replaced those the clunking and the whine went away so I assumed the whine was also coming from a crack in one of my wheel studs or something like that.

But it's just gotten cold again and the whine has returned. When rotating the wheels by hand there is no audible noise, is it possible it could still be a wheel bearing and I'm just not rotating it fast enough to hear it by hand?
Old 11-15-14, 11:44 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

the cold, the harbinger of noises. my car just started creaking like an old house as soon as the temperature went below 40 lol. i need to get an audio system going so i could ignore these things better. it's usually really stupid things that need grease or something, but sometimes, just sometimes, it's something a little worse. that whine i had at 30-35mph has been gone for a year since last winter and i just heard it again today. it's the weirdest thing and i have no clue where it's coming from. i guess the cold just does weird things to components and makes them whine.

i'm interested how you drove with broken studs? were they just cracked or wat was going on? i might look at mine cz i have an awful grinding/clunking noise in my rear passenger wheel that's been around for a year now. it's gotten worse lately but the entire summer was nearly gone except maybe a few creaks or chirps. old cars man, old cars...
Old 11-16-14, 08:37 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oldManTan
i'm interested how you drove with broken studs? were they just cracked or wat was going on?.
I didn't lol. I noticed the clunking noise and it sounded really bad so I turned around and drove the 10 blocks to get back home and drove my Buick for the rest of the week until I could get the Lexus off the ground. I think the wheel studs cracked when I hit that dog, and then they broke the next time I drove which was when the clunking started and when I just turned around and took it home.

It was painfully obvious what happened once I took a look at the car, replacing those studs was a real pain since the three that broke all broke right down by the wheel hub so there wasn't much room to get leverage and I had to hit them with a chisel to pop them out, and tightening the new ones down took forever. I think I'd rather just buy an entirely new hub assembly than replace wheel studs next time, especially since I'm leaning towards this current whine being a wheel bearing... but lol I really don't want it to be as I still need to get new Supra LCA's as my ball joints are showing some wear.