Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Slight Stumble

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 11:52 AM
BdBlkSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Slight Stumble

My 95 sc400 has a lil stumble whn I press the go-peddle (from a dead stop, cruising along, or at passing)! its not really bad its just at all times! I've chk for air leaks, did a tune-up on it but its still there! Only mod to it is Injen cold air intake system! also, for reason every time I hit the brakes, all my dash lights go dim! wht gives here, guys? :uh
Old 01-13-14, 12:48 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Welcome to CL, please post in the proper sub-forum. moved to maintenance.
check to see if your power steering is leaking on your alternator or not.
Old 01-14-14, 08:33 AM
BdBlkSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda new to this forum evntho I've been a member for a min now, but thxz for look'n out & the info, i'll look n2 it dat but if its not one of my issues, any other ?
Old 01-14-14, 09:16 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

it could be a little vacuum leak or something like that. check the big rubber hoses like the one going to the pcv, check the pcv grommet isn't completely dry rotten and your valve cover gaskets aren't leaking. all of those things can make a small air leak as the motor pulls air through the pcv that is measured by the maf.

normally when you put on a cold air intake, I would ask if you ran the hose from the valve cover to the intake pipe, but on the sc400 it runs under the throttle body, so you couldn't have messed that up unless you took it off for some reason.

another sc400 problem is the power steering vac switch breaking and letting power steering in the intake. you can tell this is a problem if you go to change your air filter and you find power steering fluid in there, rare but it does happen. also remember our cars use auto trans fluid as the power steering fluid.

another common thins is loosing a coilpack on a sc400, but it runs sluggish and lots of fuel smell, most people can tell something is wrong like glowing cats or bad gas mileage. etc etc.

If you adjusted the throttle stop lately it could be the tps needs a little adjusting, but if you havent messed with it that is unlikely but you can always have a bad tps and not know for a while. if turning the tps or unplugging it yields no change something may be wrong there.