Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Will it run with this disconnected

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 08:31 AM
bmxkeeler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will it run with this disconnected

I had a few wires break in the circled area. I was wondering if my car would still run with this TPS sensor disconnected. I'm not sure which one is actually used. Attempting to troubleshoot some running issues.
Attached Thumbnails Will it run with this disconnected-engine.jpg  
Old 01-09-14, 04:16 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry I cant see any pictures. If the TPS is trac, you probably can run the car without it. As for the main TPS, no, your car will run like garbage.
Old 01-10-14, 04:31 AM
bmxkeeler
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Sorry I cant see any pictures. If the TPS is trac, you probably can run the car without it. As for the main TPS, no, your car will run like garbage.
If you're looking at the engine bay it's the TPS on the left. There is another an inch away on the right. It's a 1995 sc300. I would assume it's the traction control one but I'm not positive
Old 01-10-14, 05:16 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's your idle air control valve pictured. Should run fine without as long as it was shut when unplugged.
Old 01-10-14, 06:27 AM
bmxkeeler
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vrank
That's your idle air control valve pictured. Should run fine without as long as it was shut when unplugged.
Is there an easy way to determine if it's shut? One of the wires broke going to it, i'm not sure when. I just found it upon inspecting the wiring during a no start issue.
Old 01-10-14, 08:34 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if its in thw closed position and you unplug it there might not be enough air to cold start it easily. if it starts when you put your foot on the throttle some, then it could be that and it should be fixed. just repair the wire that broke.
Old 01-10-14, 09:43 AM
bmxkeeler
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
if its in thw closed position and you unplug it there might not be enough air to cold start it easily. if it starts when you put your foot on the throttle some, then it could be that and it should be fixed. just repair the wire that broke.
I will definitely repair it but I'll need to find a harness locally or online to fix the clip. I mainly asked the question to help further my troubleshooting, if it's not related to the no start issue I wouldn't focus on it. I'll get it fixed and go from there.
Old 01-10-14, 10:58 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if it starts with some throttle then it probably is related. if it wont start no matter how much throttle you give it (probably just like 5-10% throttle should do it), then its not related to that, as that thing just lets in extra air for start and cold idle. you don't need it plugged in, but without it or if it is stuck closed then you have to use the gas pedal to start the car as it needs more air. you don't need a whole harness, its part of the entire engine harness, cut out the bad section of wire, and solder in a new section of wire. if its very close to the connector, you will need a new pin, cut behind the damage, and solder the new pin on and insert into connector.
sometimes its the wire that gets messed up, sometimes that connector cracks cause it gets so hot from motor/exhaust. that and the tps connector next to it, are the first ones to crack/fail on our cars with age. I have seen them with all the wires fine, but the connector cracked so the connection is not solid and it will cause it not to work also. has to be a tight fit.

without it you have to sometimes do the accelerator pedal dance while cranking. don't push down more than half way though.
Old 01-12-14, 10:56 AM
bmxkeeler
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
if it starts with some throttle then it probably is related. if it wont start no matter how much throttle you give it (probably just like 5-10% throttle should do it), then its not related to that, as that thing just lets in extra air for start and cold idle. you don't need it plugged in, but without it or if it is stuck closed then you have to use the gas pedal to start the car as it needs more air. you don't need a whole harness, its part of the entire engine harness, cut out the bad section of wire, and solder in a new section of wire. if its very close to the connector, you will need a new pin, cut behind the damage, and solder the new pin on and insert into connector.
sometimes its the wire that gets messed up, sometimes that connector cracks cause it gets so hot from motor/exhaust. that and the tps connector next to it, are the first ones to crack/fail on our cars with age. I have seen them with all the wires fine, but the connector cracked so the connection is not solid and it will cause it not to work also. has to be a tight fit.

without it you have to sometimes do the accelerator pedal dance while cranking. don't push down more than half way though.
Thanks for the tips. It will not start at all due to a spark issue however. The wire broke directly at the clip so it's not really repairable.