Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Building a 1jz, need all the help i can get

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 06:37 PM
Abelo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a 1jz, need all the help i can get

Okay, so its been awhile since i posted on here but in that time, ive had my 1jz ripped apart. ill give you guys the dealio on the project as is now and then all the questions i have.

Mods so far:

-i had the head ported/polished, multi-angle valve job, 272 bc cams with a titanium bc valve train
-block untouched
-r154 tranny ripped apart, act street clutch and pressure plate, flywheel machined and full r154 rebuild kit ready to be thrown in.
-holset hx35 with a knockoff 44mm(i think) wastegate

Questions:

1.) i am doing my whole fuel system, already got a fuel rail, afpr, i just need a fuel pump and injectors, so far ive been looking at the injector dynamics 1000cc and the bosch 11500cc (from driftmotion), my power goals are to hit over 600whp, i am unsure wether or not i will be able to make that kind of power on pump gas or E85 with these size injectors. also which one will flow better and be the better bang for my buck.

Also considering running the intank supra fuel pump or should i just get a big 400lhp walbro and not have to worry about fuel starvation at all.??

2.) My next concern is my Headgasket, i haven't decked the block and the head only has 7 thousandth of an inch taken off it. just wondering if i should run the stock headgasket or get a MHG and deck the block? what type of factors will make it an interference motor with these big cams? is that really a big issue?

3.) And if anyone has any advice on things i should do/replace while my motor is taken apart now i would love the advice!!
Old 01-08-14, 08:08 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

those injectors are pretty close, both will hit your power goals on pump, on e85 you may need a little more injector.
pump really depends especially on if you are using e85 or not, if you are using e85 then build it for e85 since e85 requires more fuel, otherwise you can go with smaller stuff for pump. there are fuel setups in a lot of threads on here under fuel and e85.

headgasket you didn't shave off enough to be dangerous interference wise, but you will be raising the compression a little bit, which is fine if you only run e85. if you plan on running pump gas also I would use the GTE headgasket at the least which will help lower you to the mid 9's with the head, and also give you more room with the larger cams.
all the 2jz and 1jz headgaskets are MHG. you should not have to deck the block unless it is badly warped, check it for flatness first its usually the head that warps.

do timing belt, water pump, main seals, basic refresh while its out. that is about it.
Old 01-08-14, 09:04 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a new turbo. Those cams and e85 the holset is gonna be choking the **** out of the engine.
Old 01-08-14, 09:50 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on Holset choking. Maybe you'll break 500rwhp with e85 at high boost. 600 probably won't happen.

I would also add one more injector brand to your list. FIC.

They're virtually identical to the ID units for significantly less. With that turbo and e85, 1000cc injectors should be more than enough. With a bigger turbo shooting for above 600rwhp? You would just barely make it safely.

Also, I don't have any firsthand experience with that particular Walbro but generally, The 255's have been disappointments for how long they live. I would do Aeromotive 340 in tank with a Bosch 044 inline if I had to do it over again.
Old 01-08-14, 01:13 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That turbo and WG have to go lol .

Injectors ID1000 or FIC 1100 will be plenty enough.

Don't touch the block, no decking, stock TT HG works fine.

Walbro 400 is one of my favorite , but you can pull it of with on , but i'll install 2 of them. One of them made 695whp on 2jz with e85 but 1200cc Injectors at 95% DC.

My car make 700on E85 on ID1000 and Dual 044s at 43psi FP.
Old 01-08-14, 03:00 PM
Abelo
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
those injectors are pretty close, both will hit your power goals on pump, on e85 you may need a little more injector.
pump really depends especially on if you are using e85 or not, if you are using e85 then build it for e85 since e85 requires more fuel, otherwise you can go with smaller stuff for pump. there are fuel setups in a lot of threads on here under fuel and e85.

headgasket you didn't shave off enough to be dangerous interference wise, but you will be raising the compression a little bit, which is fine if you only run e85. if you plan on running pump gas also I would use the GTE headgasket at the least which will help lower you to the mid 9's with the head, and also give you more room with the larger cams.
all the 2jz and 1jz headgaskets are MHG. you should not have to deck the block unless it is badly warped, check it for flatness first its usually the head that warps.

do timing belt, water pump, main seals, basic refresh while its out. that is about it.

well i just ordered my fuel rail and HG, timing belt i already got, i ya i ordered the gte gasket, that's great, the machinist said i could just run a stock HG also but i wanted to double check.

i don't really plan on running e85, i want to tune it on 91-93octane pump gas and race gas tune also. but haven't made a choice on the standalone to buy, any ideas there?? i was thinking Haltech or i believe AEM makes one also.

also is there a water pump gasket i can order or just replace the whole pump??
Old 01-08-14, 03:06 PM
Abelo
Driver

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
+1 on Holset choking. Maybe you'll break 500rwhp with e85 at high boost. 600 probably won't happen.

I would also add one more injector brand to your list. FIC.

They're virtually identical to the ID units for significantly less. With that turbo and e85, 1000cc injectors should be more than enough. With a bigger turbo shooting for above 600rwhp? You would just barely make it safely.

Also, I don't have any firsthand experience with that particular Walbro but generally, The 255's have been disappointments for how long they live. I would do Aeromotive 340 in tank with a Bosch 044 inline if I had to do it over again.
ive just touched on FIC and heard they sell a high impedance 1100cc injector, if thats true then its just straight plug and play or do connectors need to be made?

are you saying with a bigger turbo on 1000ccs i wont break 600?? how about on pump gas, basically the only weak link in my system is my turbo and block, but im not cheaping out on my tune and fuel system, so it seems like i have the capability to make alot more power.

is there no good in tank pump i can run?? or is it a good idea to run a inline one also. or just a big inline pump.
Old 01-08-14, 03:11 PM
Abelo
Driver

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
That turbo and WG have to go lol .

Injectors ID1000 or FIC 1100 will be plenty enough.

Don't touch the block, no decking, stock TT HG works fine.

Walbro 400 is one of my favorite , but you can pull it of with on , but i'll install 2 of them. One of them made 695whp on 2jz with e85 but 1200cc Injectors at 95% DC.

My car make 700on E85 on ID1000 and Dual 044s at 43psi FP.
whats the duty on the ID1000's on your car and is it a 1j? also are the high impedance straight plug and play? or do i need connectors? i think thos ID1000's are rated up to 60 or 50psi i believe...what is stock fuel pressure on a 1jz?
Old 01-08-14, 03:23 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Walbro 400 series pumps are great pumps as stated by Quick SC and the 485's are E-compatiable I run 3 and well over1100 hp on E-85 no fuel issues wit a 42 psi static and 40+ psi of boost.
Also if you go standalone the injector impedance is of no issue as all the common Standalones will run both types of injector.
I would also recommend FIC (bosch ev ) injectors for the $ I run them with no issues as well as every car I build or touch runs them from 500hp -1600hp.
The holset is a decent truck turbo but not for your power goals Personally I use and recommend BW. but to each his own.
The knock off WG is a NO NO!!!!!!!!!! Get a Tial 44 or Precision 46 and you will not have any issues.

Good luck.
Old 01-08-14, 03:54 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

**** the precision 46s. You'll say the same thing when you gotta pull one of those sticking pile of ****s out of a gtr. I've done so twice, both were within 2500 miles of installation
Old 01-08-14, 05:46 PM
Abelo
Driver

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
Walbro 400 series pumps are great pumps as stated by Quick SC and the 485's are E-compatiable I run 3 and well over1100 hp on E-85 no fuel issues wit a 42 psi static and 40+ psi of boost.
Also if you go standalone the injector impedance is of no issue as all the common Standalones will run both types of injector.
I would also recommend FIC (bosch ev ) injectors for the $ I run them with no issues as well as every car I build or touch runs them from 500hp -1600hp.
The holset is a decent truck turbo but not for your power goals Personally I use and recommend BW. but to each his own.
The knock off WG is a NO NO!!!!!!!!!! Get a Tial 44 or Precision 46 and you will not have any issues.

Good luck.
i thought the wastegate was a write off just needed something from the get go back when i singled my car. it only got stuck open 3 times and i had to take it apart and it worked fine, 3rd times the charm i guess...

well since you say impedance doesn't matter with a standalone then the 1100cc FIc low-z would be the best because its 200 bucks cheaper than the high-z which costs the same as the ID 1000's. but its not plug and play for the 1jz so id have to wire in pigtails i guess??
Old 01-08-14, 05:54 PM
Abelo
Driver

Everyone forget what i said about E85 im pretty sure we dont use flex fuel in Canada, pump gas from here on...
Old 01-09-14, 04:55 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Then you don't need such big injectors. And a walbro 400 would fulfil your needs. And worst case scenario, you have to buy a resistor setup due to ecu choice. There are a lot of good ecus that don't offer this. I've seen haltech a have issues running them on the ps2000.
Old 01-09-14, 05:45 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Vrank
Personally not a huge fan of the PS2000 but in its defense we run one a 2JZ M-1 fueled dual injected 12 (FIC-2150) 91 mm , direct ported nitrous, on M&W ignition and never an issue with the computer regarding injector IMP.

I however did burn down the AEM V-1 drivers 2 times on 2150's before goin to the V-2 with no issues.
Old 01-09-14, 05:58 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

I do however agree with injector size(smaller) if no E-85 and 600hp is your goal you could get this done with 850's with headroom and a single 400 Wally.
That being said and $ for standalone becomes an issue then injector imp would be solved with a resistor box and you could run a piggyback fuel computer for doing it on the cheaper side for your hp goals, not the greatest way but it has been done numerous times through the yrs with success.
I personally almost 10 yrs ago ran a Precision 67mm on a 264 cammed 1J stock bottom on 720's with a resistor box and made 612 at 30 psi on a SAFC for almost 3 yrs but I did run 100LL all the time.

Quick Reply: Building a 1jz, need all the help i can get