Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Standalone with auto transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-13, 10:30 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standalone with auto transmission

Currently, I am working on getting my NA-t to run the tt ecu mod, but if that doesnt pan out I am forced to go with a standalone ecu. My question is, how are you automatic guys getting this to work with your auto transmission?

Are you guys just manually shifting your tranny, or are there ways for the standalone to control the stock transmission?

I have been searching and I keep finding posts that contradict one another. Some say that there a a few standalones that can control the auto transmission just fine, while others say that it wont work, and could end up prematurely blowing the transmission.

My assumption is that most people are just manually controlling the stock auto. If so, do you hate it? I think I would find it annoying to have to push the release button down everytime I want to shift.

Also, what did you guys do about your A/C? Does it not work at all, or is it just the automatic climate control that doesnt work with a standalone?
Old 12-31-13, 03:12 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

dont even bother trying to run sustained boost thru the na auto .. it will not be happy for long.. use the electronically controlled gte tranny , all it takes is very few wires to a ecu like aem and a VERY VERY competent tuner who understands what it takes to make sure aem doesnt prematurely kill the auto with bad shift points , not pulling enough timing between shift points and too much line pressure etc etc ..

i have a friend with a sc on a gte auto swap that alpha from induction performance tuned at 511 rwhp since 2011 and tranny works perfectly ,, it comes down to the tuner , correct cooling for tranny and understanding the trannys limitations and not abusing it
Old 12-31-13, 10:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

a/c works generally once you put in the setting, that is an old problem that has been solved.
auto trans lexforlife has good info there. it can work just gotta know the limitations, the standalone controls them all. the standalone can't control the line pressure on your GE trans thats via the throttle body so you have to leave that, but if you got a GTE auto then it would control it all.