Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jzge Na-t No Start Problem

Old 01-08-14, 08:10 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I did that to my motor took it off and put it back on without checking and luckily got away with it no leaks (cross fingers), but yeah now I check it when its off.
Old 01-09-14, 08:46 AM
97NaSupra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad news about the head..... has two bent valves. If you look at the picture you can see the two exhaust valves on cylinder 1 and 2 that are stuck open. The machine shop is going to go ahead and pressure check the head aswell as resurface it but they cant replace the valves they said because of the spacers on the top? What the hell am I supposed to do now.

I dont understand all that is involved in getting valves replaced, the machine shop said to take it to toyota but I know they will charge out the a$$ for that. Is this something I could do myself?

Last edited by 97NaSupra; 01-14-14 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-09-14, 11:05 AM
2JTsc300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97NaSupra
Bad news about the head..... has two bent valves. If you look at the picture you can see the two cylinders on cylinder 1 and 2 that are stuck open. The machine shop is going to go ahead and pressure check the head aswell as resurface it but they cant replace the valves they said because of the spacers on the top? What the hell am I supposed to do now.

I dont understand all that is involved in getting valves replaced, the machine shop said to take it to toyota but I know they will charge out the a$$ for that. Is this something I could do myself?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...749&cc=1317553

my friend ran one of these head on his na-t and it held up great
Old 01-09-14, 11:07 AM
2JTsc300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can replace the valves, he just seems to lazy to do it.
Old 01-09-14, 11:43 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah I think you need to find another shop that will do it, maybe one that deals in toyota's specifically or any of the older 4x4 toyota shops that do work for landcruisers (those motors are even more picky about deck straightness), they all have the similar long aluminum heads and they are used to working on them every day.
changing out bent valves does not seem like it should be that hard for a good machine shop.
you can always pick up a used head also it may be cheaper to do that and deck it and put new seals on it, or get one that is already decked and stuff. you have alot of options.

don't forget GTE head also!! thats a fun one since you are 97 you already have the newer oil pump with the crank sensor, you would just have to change out the trigger wheel for a gte one, then you can run a gte head, ecu, and coipacks with no distributor whatsoever.... on second thought that sounds like a lot of work just find another machine shop.. lol.
Old 01-09-14, 01:25 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How did you bend the valves?

It's easy to replace the valves, you can buy the valves from toyota , hell i got a some but i will have to remove them, it will probably be easier if you get them locally.

If you have access to an air compressor or a drill i can tell you how to lap the valves and you are good to go, i've done it plenty and plenty of times.

Or get a new machine shop, and do not go to toyota or lexus to have them install them for you.
Old 01-09-14, 02:14 PM
97NaSupra
Rookie

Great news all, Head has been fixed and problem is solved!!! Just got back from the machine shop. Okay here is what the problem was which would explain the symptoms I was having as well. The valves were not bent, the guys said the head was actually in great shape. When I had began taking the head off of my car the first time one of the factory head bolts stripped and I had a hell of a time getting it off. During the process of trying to get it out, I stripped some metal shaving out around the area which eventually caught the valve spring and jammed it. This is why my car ran good for like 5min but as soon as I shut it off the spring jammed and would not run anymore and which is why I had zero compression in cylinders 1 and 2.

I dont want to jump to conclusions but Im pretty sure once I put my car back together its going to be running quite well. Thanks for all of your help guys.

Last edited by 97NaSupra; 01-09-14 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-09-14, 03:08 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

shavings in the springs, wouldn't have guessed that one. good you got it figured out. good luck let us know how it goes I am still hoping the best for #3 but it was probably something similar.
Old 01-09-14, 03:37 PM
97NaSupra
Rookie

Not really shavings its hard to explain... theres a lip around where the head bolts go and i managed to bend them in making contact with the spring.
Old 01-13-14, 01:40 PM
97NaSupra
Rookie

Round 2 starts tonight fellas....

Old 01-16-14, 08:10 PM
97NaSupra
Rookie

As promised..... she now starts. Still need to do some fine tuning but am super stoked it now fires