Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Thinking of twin turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-13, 03:45 PM
sadooq20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of twin turbo!

hey, what's up guys?
I'm new member here n I need your help with my 1998 Lexus sc300
I'm interesting in get twin turbo in my car, but I wanna know what should I do !!!
so please tell me about my project what should I do with my project?
also my engine is original n my transmission auto
Old 12-12-13, 04:41 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Welcome to CL, please familiarize with the forum rules and try and post in the proper sub-section.
I deleted you other thread in the main section, post your info in this thread please.

Try and start with a search for turbo, swaps, na-t, odb2 and figure out which direction you would like to go.
there are lots of ways to go turbo but if you want twin turbo's you probably want a 2jzgte swap.
since you are 1998 there are other complications like emissions and odb2 and vvti, those are factors for some people who drive their cars alot on the road as opposed to a track car. if you have any specific questions post them up, but you will have to do some initial searching and research it is an involved process and has been covered many many times.
Old 12-12-13, 05:14 PM
sadooq20
Driver School Candidate

thank a lot buddy for all information that u told me.
I have question do mean should I swap my engine?
is it fine if I just install twin turbo on my original engine?
if I will install twin turbo do I need other thing to complete it?
and thank you
Old 12-12-13, 06:05 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

There are many things you will need. it would be a lot easier to buy a 2JZGTE with the twins already mounted and just do the required maintenance and drive it.

Whats your power goal?
Budget?
wrench time?
Tools you have?
wiring expert?

the list can continue... You need to be more specific in the amount of money and time you will have to spend on this and go from there.
Old 12-13-13, 01:08 AM
sadooq20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
There are many things you will need. it would be a lot easier to buy a 2JZGTE with the twins already mounted and just do the required maintenance and drive it.

Whats your power goal?
Budget?
wrench time?
Tools you have?
wiring expert?

the list can continue... You need to be more specific in the amount of money and time you will have to spend on this and go from there.
my goal is around 500 ph.
it doesn't matter how is it buddy i'm fine with it.
the time actually I want it like 3 weeks maybe.
tools what do you mean about it? are saying that I'll work on it!
idw
Old 12-13-13, 04:32 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

If you want a twin turbo 98 SC300 in three weeks that can *handle* 500hp (but not initially produce more than 300+ horsepower) then you might want to take the easiest and most expensive route:

--2JZGTE JDM engine swap with the matching automatic transmission (unless you are going to have issues with an emissions inspection in TX)
--Phoenix Tuning (Dr. Tweak) swap harness
--Find a TT Auto Supra LSD rear or buy a 3.92 SC400 rear and a new Kaaz or TRD 2-way LSD and have that installed into it. Swap that in.
--LS400 or Supra TT brake caliper swap on the front.
--17" rims that will clear those brakes.
--plus anything else the car might need to make it safe and comfortable to drive with all that added power

All of this can be had in three weeks but you're going to spend a LOT very fast to do it. As AliSC3 stated, anything 98-00 is a bit more difficult with the electronics to perform a swap. There are many threads regarding 98-00 SC300's and swaps. Also, your 98+ 2JZ engine is not nearly as strong as the 92-97 2JZ engines. It's just what Toyota/Lexus decided to do. In your case an engine swap would be the much better route over NA-T.

I also recommend doing some reading and looking at build threads and DIY threads here to familiarize yourself with the car. It can put down impressive numbers but wasn't set up to do so from the factory. It's just nearly identical mechanically to MKIV Supras.

Good luck!
Old 12-13-13, 07:18 PM
sadooq20
Driver School Candidate

Thanks lots buddy i get what i wanted i guess so yeah.
Old 12-15-13, 05:48 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where in tx are you?

Assuming money is no issue, this is possible.

All parts could be sourced in one week. Everything needed is common and can be found in Texas, including the engine.

Two weeks is a good estimate for a proper swap to be done. It's not a difficult process, it is however time consuming to do it right. But again, assuming money is no issue and you're paying someone to do it anyhow, it just comes down to how bad do you really want this to happen.
Old 12-16-13, 01:28 AM
Lowlexus
Rookie

To me It all depends on how are your emission laws there, I did a OBD1 2JZGTE on my 96 SC cause I'm emissions exempt...(I cant drive over 5000 mile a year... lol) So if you want to stay within the limits of your states emission program and want to have 500 hp my options would be NA-T or JDM 2JZGTE VVTI... the VVTI GTE will keep your OBD2 port intact and able to be used for emission inspection...wiring should not be that bad to do since you have an NA version of VVTI...
Old 12-16-13, 10:31 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

vvti gte ecu will not work with your odb2 port. it uses a different standard JOBD or something like that.
you would have to use a n/a ecu and a piggyback on your gte motor.
odb2 and vvti gets complicated.
Old 12-16-13, 09:23 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowlexus
To me It all depends on how are your emission laws there, I did a OBD1 2JZGTE on my 96 SC cause I'm emissions exempt...(I cant drive over 5000 mile a year... lol
I agree with this, too. OP, there are many ways to achieve a horsepower target but those options narrow considerably with strict local emissions check/visual/exemption laws. If you have a good handle on those you may not have issues. Cali, as you probably know, leaves you with only one very expensive option in the "legal" sense. Austin, Texas is fairly strict as I understand but it's not the same in all counties. Anyway, this may or may not be an issue you'll have trouble with but it's good to know BEFORE you start your build either way. Build threads abound on this site can give you a solid idea of what flies in what territory.

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
vvti gte ecu will not work with your odb2 port. it uses a different standard JOBD or something like that.
you would have to use a n/a ecu and a piggyback on your gte motor.
odb2 and vvti gets complicated.
^^ Ali, I know you are not a fan of piggyback ECU solutions. I thought it was easier to wire an NA VVT-i car for a 1JZ/2JZ-GTE VVT-i engine and ECU than it is to wire those engines for an OBD1 chassis and vice versa.

I know Dr. Tweak has 2JZ-GTE VVT-i harnesses available for our SC chassis though for about $1,200 (automatic wiring) and on the order form there is a section that asks what year SC chassis it will be built for. I would certainly confirm with them that the OBD2 function still works or at least has operation without a CEL light even if there are standing error codes in the system.

As we've said, OP, there are always ways to make this process go faster as long as money isn't an issue.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-16-13 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-17-13, 04:48 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obd2 with non vvti 1j or 2j just needs usdm mk4tt stuff. For 1j Can drop in 440s and an afpr and in theory should be able to crank the fuel pressure a few pounds to make the ecu send the right amount of fuel. I've done all the math for it, not difficult.

Throwing in a vvti engine, you're gonna have to run the stock ecu parallel to the swap one. Luckily there's lots of room for this. It really sucks on an IS, and I imagine gen 2 GS as I've never done one of those.

Last edited by Vrank; 12-17-13 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-17-13, 09:42 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ Ali, I know you are not a fan of piggyback ECU solutions. I thought it was easier to wire an NA VVT-i car for a 1JZ/2JZ-GTE VVT-i engine and ECU than it is to wire those engines for an OBD1 chassis and vice versa.

I know Dr. Tweak has 2JZ-GTE VVT-i harnesses available for our SC chassis though for about $1,200 (automatic wiring) and on the order form there is a section that asks what year SC chassis it will be built for. I would certainly confirm with them that the OBD2 function still works or at least has operation without a CEL light even if there are standing error codes in the system.

As we've said, OP, there are always ways to make this process go faster as long as money isn't an issue.
I am not a fan of the piggyback but that is the only option other than running the 2 ecu's in parallel for keeping odb2 with vvti. Tweak can wire any motor and any car and ecu together, but its the ecu that will determine if he can make your odb2 work. Since JDM ecu's do not use odb2 at all, you have to use a US ecu which means you are limited to non turbo in the vvti department, and with that comes the dilemma of running a dual ecu setup, or a piggyback on the n/a ecu.

It may be easier to wire up a vvti gte into a vvti ge car, but I am sure it is not much harder to wire it for a non vvti gte swap, which is the only way to use a USDM gte odb2 ecu. It has been done lots of times probably half the 98+ cars I see with swaps have non vvti motors but they usually dont care about emissions.

Its not the worst with a really advanced piggyback, like the FIC can be programmed to literally intercept all ignition and injection signals and send out its own based on user defined maps. It is basically the reason why they came up with that whole system and it works on domestic odb2 cars also the same way. I drove a supercharged tahoe and it was running that as a piggyback, no issues really, but it takes knowing how to set one up, one part off and they system is not happy.

Originally Posted by Vrank
Obd2 with non vvti 1j or 2j just needs usdm mk4tt stuff. For 1j Can drop in 440s and an afpr and in theory should be able to crank the fuel pressure a few pounds to make the ecu send the right amount of fuel. I've done all the math for it, not difficult.

Throwing in a vvti engine, you're gonna have to run the stock ecu parallel to the swap one. Luckily there's lots of room for this. It really sucks on an IS, and I imagine gen 2 GS as I've never done one of those.
That is true since the supra had the non vvti till 2000 or so (cant remember), you could just say it was swapped over from that and do a non vvti gte swap with the newer ecu and electronics.

so if emissions matters: non vvti GTE swap with USDM electronics.
if emissions doesn't matter: vvti GTE swap with vvti gte electronics (jdm)

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-17-13 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-17-13, 11:40 AM
Lowlexus
Rookie

I agree with Ali, vvti gte with usdm electronics...emissions sux and an inconvenience to us 96+ owners

Last edited by Lowlexus; 12-17-13 at 11:48 AM.