Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PS Resevoir Bubbling and Rack & Pinion leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-13, 08:11 PM
Trucho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS Resevoir Bubbling and Rack & Pinion leaking

So my steering started progressively harder. I kept on having to add more and more fluid until one day it got super hard to the point its a workout. I went through the DIY for bleeding the PS system since I noticed that the fluid starting coming out the cap after a drive and while the car is on the reservoir is spewing out when the cap is off with a bunch on tiny bubbles. Bleeding did not help the situation. So I raised the car again and noticed the boots on the rack of pinion where dripping wet with fluid. I squeezed the boots and fluid just poured out like crazy. So at this point im trying to figure out of the leak in the rack & pinion is causing air to get in reservoir or if the PS pump caused this issue. The PS pump had no leaks before this and to this moment looks fine no fluid coming out of it.

Any insight would be helpful
Old 11-21-13, 08:26 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your rack went bad. Never had a PS system go out on me, so Im just shooting in the dark, but seems that may be the issue.
Old 11-21-13, 08:50 PM
ttsukamoto
Rookie

Sounds like a bad rack. I found fluid in my steering rack boots so I replaced the rack and changed out the bushings. It now steers smoothly. Check to see if there is any play in the wheels when the car is jacked up.
Old 11-21-13, 09:48 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

putting it off only makes it worse and just filling it up with fluid doesnt fix the problem. cant expect it to last long unless maintained. certain things are part of the scheduled maintenance like rack seals, hoses, evo unit,boots, clamps, tie rods.. sounds like a constant air leak because most of the air will push out and it will stop making that noise and bubble after a few mins. unless air keeps coming in the line/system it wont ever stop and kill the pump because the fluid keeps it lubed. could be something small and fixable but chances are its the same rack from factory and no one's rebuilt it.

sometime's its just best to get a new rack and take in the core for some money back at a local auto parts store and make sure its the right one also make sure you swap your old evo unit to the new rack and clean the screens. use new seals, snap rings, washers..ect to minimize on future leaks.

Last edited by SCstone; 11-21-13 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-21-13, 10:14 PM
Trucho
Rookie

Sounds good guys thanks for helping out. Gonna have to get a new or rebuilt rack and some new bushings to go along with it.
Old 11-22-13, 06:00 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i am not sure about that fellas usually when the steering is hard its the pump thats bad when the pump is good and steering rack is still functioning even if leaking the steering will be too loose or feel like mush. what usually happens is the steering rack leaks and it causes the pump to go bad prematurely due to lack of fluid my guess is you will have to change both i hope i am wrong let us know please dont abandon your thread
Old 11-23-13, 07:18 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

How expensive are new racks on the SC300? I need a new rack and a power steering pump.