Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PSA: Putting AN hoses together

Old 11-03-13, 10:03 PM
SoupFlies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSA: Putting AN hoses together

Hey guys, I spent today replacing my high pressure power steering hose with one I made myself, I spent a lot of time researching on this forum, but found lots of conflicting information on putting the hoses together.
Some say to take the assembled cuff and nipple and twist those onto the hose, others say put cuff on first, then insert nipple.
I have had nothing but bad luck with the former, my hose came apart twice, creating a huge mess. I will link a video that has the correct way of assembling a high pressure hose with AN fitting. I will also link the threads I used most for the replacement of the hose.
This thread is where I got information on building the hose, on the last page is a link to the cheapest source of these parts that I found.
Parts: www.Anplumbing.Com
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/339694-power-steering-line-fix-oh-so-pretty.html
the necessary parts mentioned in that op can be found at the ANplumbing website. Also, the length of hose they send is sufficient without being cut, though cutting it will lead to a cleaner install.

Also a more shallow an to metric bolt that does not bottom out is mentioned. Part number: 871606

Removal of hose, don't forget to cap the 2 vacuum lines, as this does delete variable power steering.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405932&styleid=13

Proper AN hose assembly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LovY7kedyE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here's to hoping that this keeps others from having to deal with what I did. That cleaning really sucked.

Last edited by SoupFlies; 11-03-13 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-04-13, 11:27 AM
Murco
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll bet it did! I work with AN hose and fittings constantly and it took a while to learn the little tips that get you a no-leak seal every time.
One question, are you using the AN lines on the pressure side? If so, which ones are you using?
Old 11-05-13, 06:38 PM
SoupFlies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using this hose on the pressure side yes. I am using the blue Earls hose not exactly so e of the name but it's made specifically for power steering according to them. With an Earls straight fitting and an Earls straight. - 6 sizing. I have some pump whine but that's nothing really new, also my steering has gone from what I thought was easy to wow, this is what a new 2013 is like.