Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Constant Misfire troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-13, 05:25 AM
bmxkeeler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constant Misfire troubleshooting

I have an NA-T 95 SC300. It has a misfire at idle and throughout the RPM range. I'm having trouble locating the cause of it.
It has new injectors, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and I just smoke tested it for vacuum leaks and repaired the two I found. There is currently no CEL's on. I have the 2 main 02 Sensors wired up fine without the 3rd. Other than that it's your basic NA-T setup. Does anyone have any tips on sensors or other areas I could check. The head and headgasket only have about 2500 miles on them and a compression test showed good numbers across the board. The misfire only started just recently.
Old 11-01-13, 08:46 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you using stock ECU?
Old 11-01-13, 04:23 PM
bmxkeeler
Rookie

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Are you using stock ECU?
As far as I know it's a stock ECU unless the previous owner swapped it. I'll look into checking that out.
I plan on doing a compression test in the morning. The head is new with under 2000 miles on it so I don't believe it could be the issue and it drives well. I want to rule it out however and it's the only thing I can think of.
Old 11-02-13, 04:32 PM
bmxkeeler
Rookie

Compression test showed good but I noticed when I pulled my #6 plug that it looked brand new. I tested the injector with a noid light and received lights and received spark from the #6 wire. Looking like it's a bad injector even though they only have a few miles on them. Gonna order a replacement and I'll update.
Old 11-02-13, 10:49 PM
50twoslow
Driver School Candidate

Have you checked your bov? Put your hand firmly over the valve and see if it sucks your hand in at all.

EDIT: didn't read last comment. Sorry.
Old 11-03-13, 08:48 AM
bmxkeeler
Rookie

Originally Posted by 50twoslow
Have you checked your bov? Put your hand firmly over the valve and see if it sucks your hand in at all.

EDIT: didn't read last comment. Sorry.
I did check the BOV, the spring appears to have good pressure thanks!
Old 11-03-13, 04:04 PM
Christian
Pole Position

have you checked for vacuum leaks?

christian
Old 11-05-13, 09:34 AM
bmxkeeler
Rookie

Originally Posted by Christian
have you checked for vacuum leaks?

christian
Yes. I've smoke tested it and only found two leaks. An injector, and the turbo inlet. I fixed both. The injector just had a crack in the gasket.
Old 11-05-13, 12:42 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if its on the stock ecu try resetting the ecu.
Old 11-06-13, 10:34 AM
bmxkeeler
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
if its on the stock ecu try resetting the ecu.
I have reset the ECU a few times now for different reasons. It hasn't helped.

I replaced the injector and it ran great fro 5 seconds then started doing the same thing again. Now I've noticed if I mess with the #6 injector wiring while running the car keeps dying, like it's grounding out. I'm trying to find a wiring diagram to troubleshoot from there.
Old 11-21-13, 02:40 PM
canman44
Rookie

This may be a pretty basic question, but how do you reset your ECU? Is your idling intermittent? I am having idling issues as well, but mine are intermittent. I have tried to trouble shoot this and had my mechanic replace way too many components for this to be continuing. So far I've replace the ignition coil, wires and plugs. I also replaced my MAS airflow sensor with a used one and started getting a check engine light for that around when my idling problems started. Could this have anything to do with 02 sensors going bad? My sister was having idling issues and the 02 sensors were blowing codes. When she had them replaced she said that fixed the issue. Any thoughts?
Old 11-21-13, 08:09 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by canman44
This may be a pretty basic question, but how do you reset your ECU? Is your idling intermittent? I am having idling issues as well, but mine are intermittent. I have tried to trouble shoot this and had my mechanic replace way too many components for this to be continuing. So far I've replace the ignition coil, wires and plugs. I also replaced my MAS airflow sensor with a used one and started getting a check engine light for that around when my idling problems started. Could this have anything to do with 02 sensors going bad? My sister was having idling issues and the 02 sensors were blowing codes. When she had them replaced she said that fixed the issue. Any thoughts?
I'd suspect the o2 sensors.

Resetting the ECU is very simple. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it for 20 or so minutes. Plug it back in.
Old 11-22-13, 08:35 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I just take it off for like 20 seconds and that does the trick.

Canman44 start a thread and be as detailed as possible sc300 or 400, mileage, previous maintenance, like have the o2's ever been changed that you know and issues you are having. whats wrong with the idle exactly. chances are we can point you to what the problem is faster than a mechanic as we deal with these cars constantly and know their trouble areas.
Old 11-22-13, 01:29 PM
canman44
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I just take it off for like 20 seconds and that does the trick.

Canman44 start a thread and be as detailed as possible sc300 or 400, mileage, previous maintenance, like have the o2's ever been changed that you know and issues you are having. whats wrong with the idle exactly. chances are we can point you to what the problem is faster than a mechanic as we deal with these cars constantly and know their trouble areas.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll start a new thread on this one and see if anyone has had this type of issue due to 02 sensors. Didn't mean to hijack this one.