Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

(Bird Cage) Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-03, 11:10 AM
LexusBiz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default (Bird Cage) Warning Light

Hey All,

Saturday night the dreaded engine light came on. I am going to pull the codes this weekend to see what is causing it.

That same night when the engine light came on so did the "little bird cage" warning light. However, the bird cage light only came on for 10 or so seconds, turned off, turned back on for 10 or so seconds. That was it, the light never came back on. The warning light is located right above the "H" on the coolant temp guage. I think it is located to the left of the "Taillight failure" warning light.

Does anyone know what this warning light means? I do not have a manual to look up the symbols. Anyone else have this problem and what the outcome was? I am hoping the "check engine" light is only a o2 sensor.

Thanks
Biz
Old 01-22-03, 12:05 PM
Lvangundy

The check engine light is most likely an intake (MAF) or exhaust (O2 sensor), but have it diagnosed to be sure.

The 'birdcage' icon is the coolant level warning light. If the coolant has never been flushed at this point (how many miles do you have?) than maybe a good time to take a trip to the dealer, shop, or DIY and change it out and refill.

To get around that you can refill the coolant reservoir with a little water for a short time, just make sure you don't have any leaks.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 01-22-03 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-22-03, 12:15 PM
LexusBiz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks LVANGUNDY,

I did change the coolant myself about 6 weeks ago at around 115,000miles. I double checked the coolant level and it is fine (filled to the top).

The coolant warning light went out, so if it does come back on then it may be a faulty coolant level sensor.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes on the coolant.

THanks
Biz
Old 02-07-04, 02:03 AM
andytseng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bird Cage Light Fixed

Just a note to anybody that might have this indicator light going off...

When I was in CA, I went to Longo Lexus to have them check it out. They identified the problem as a messed up radiator/coolant system that needed to be replaced, and they quoted me a couple hundred dollars to get it fixed.

I drove it to a different Lexus dealer and they found out that the problem was actually coming from a broken coolant tank sensor, which cost significantly less. So just something to get the dealer to check, just in case... The part was called "Switch, Reserve T" and it was part number 16485-50021.