Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Injen intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-03, 01:16 AM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Injen intake

I know this has been posted before but I just installed an Injen intake with heatshield into my 1995 SC400 and I was just reading on how intakes could actually decrease the horsepower and torque... but I'm wondering more along the lines of how? With an open air intake shouldn't more airflow go in and create more? and why would Injen claim it creates more hp and torque or they obviously just lying to get money? Either way... I just wanna know if it was a good idea on my behalf to get the intake or not. The intake is composed of the polished ram with the filter and heatshield.
Old 01-22-03, 03:01 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LexANT,

I am confused, if you know this was already posted, why not search? The answers are there, if you have a problem with the answers in some of those threads, maybe you could cite the thread and then ask a question in that thread. Of course, you can always start another thread but veterans here get tired of regurgitating the same old info for every person who doesn't search.

Thanks

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=18661
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=65942
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=53147

MW
Old 01-22-03, 03:29 AM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

thanx

sorrie for being a pain in the butt... i have to admit seeing as i find you're always correcting me.... i guess i reallie am a newbie compared to all of you... sorrie for the annoyance... still young and learning
Old 01-22-03, 03:06 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

lol..."Thank you sir, may I have another?"

-Congrats on the injen though.....they're purty...how about some pics to make up?
Old 01-25-03, 06:57 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

undefeated

i don't have a dig camera or a scanner but here's what it looks like off the injen website.
http://www.injen.com/webpages/intake.../is/is2083.jpg

this pic is off of a 300 but it's fairly the same view in my 400.
it came with the heatshield and i'm lookin into doing the cold air extension mod that many of the other members have done here.
Old 02-22-03, 10:17 AM
joeyc2
Lead Lap

so now that you have it how does your car run now? any difference? how does it sound? let me know...thanks
Old 02-22-03, 06:00 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

After taking out the airbox, the intake did make a difference in power as in a little bit, but that was only when the car first started, after the car had warmed up, it felt like i had to push the pedal down harder to get the same acceleration it had before. however, on the freeway, it was better than ever. To compensate for the city driving, I made a cold air swoop to get air from the grill next to the passenger fog light, boy what a difference that made. Now it feels like I just started the car up at that moment with the cold air there. Sound wise is a little bit louder with the air scoop, dunno if the cold air is the reason or not. I don't have to push the pedal down as hard or far anymore, it's more "sensitive" i guess. All in all..... after the cold air scoop, there was more of a difference.
Old 02-22-03, 07:52 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

what did you make the air scoop out of? i think im going to try picking up some material to use for that at home depot tomorrow - any recommendations?
Old 02-22-03, 08:44 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

i used simple sheet metal to build the scoop from the grill to the engine bay. I put up a wire mesh grill in the bumper tho to prevent bugs and such from gettin in there. Also when it rains i also painted the sheet metal so it wouldn't rust. What I did was basically clamp the sheet metal around the frame in the engine bay to hold it in and duct tape to hold it at the bottom. It seems to hold up good since it hasn't fallen out of place for the past 3 weeks and I drive it daily... and on the weekends, from sf to san jose and vice versa. I made the sheet metal so that it gets narrower as it gets to the engine bay so that if it's raining the water will just slide to the edge and drift off instead of gettin into the engine bay. I'll try to take pics when i can steal my dad's dig cam.
Old 02-22-03, 09:26 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

ah, i was thinking of using some kind of expandable funnel stuff, you know, the kind thats sort of like a slinky but with stuff in between each slink? im taking the easy route
Old 02-22-03, 09:42 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

i have thought about the slinky thing idea but i wanted more so i just created the scoop which is the width of the whole grill and so that much more air is going in rather than just the air going through the slinky. So basically any air that travels though that part of the front grill goes straight into the engine bay.
Old 02-22-03, 09:51 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

so, wait, did you replace the stock snorkel with this scoop or is this scoop just funneling air into the engine bay itself and not the area in back of the headlight where the air box used to sit? im trying to visualize this...did you do that, or did you take out the snorkel and place the scoop in the cavity there and lead it to the front grill?
Old 02-22-03, 09:57 PM
Bladez42598
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could have just bought the entire setup cold air box and all via weapon R. You probably saved a few bucks but to get something that's made for the car instead of riging something may produce better results in the long run. I have the weapon R intake/ram air/cold air setup coming for my SC400. I honestly doubt it's gonna do anything major but just had to get it anyway's cause I'm running out of things to do to my SC...
Old 02-22-03, 10:08 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

i cant use the weapon-r setup, the intake is different on 96 and newer models. i bought the weapon-r cold air box and had to trim a lot of it just to get it to fit right (it was oversized). i dont know if thats the case for you or not. i also had to make a foam backside to it since my intake wasn't long enough to reach the weapon-r box due to the lack of that big metal MAF adapter. i doubt the ram air/cold air setup will work either since they are probably designed for the 92-95 intakes like the cold air box was. im left with no option but to rig something up myself
Old 02-22-03, 11:09 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

i took out the whole airbox snorkel setup and have this scoop connecting the frame in the engine bay to the grill in the front bumper. So basically it's like a piece that just sits behind the grills and deflects the air into the engine bay.

Quick Reply: Injen intake