Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission Jerk, Surge, Clunk shifting to Reverse and Drive

Old 10-23-13, 02:22 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't get to try OLT's tweak tip the other day, apologies if anyone was waiting on some info. My trans mount is coming from Sewell, I hope it's not a re-manufactured mount, I will be a bit disappointed. My newer SC only makes the clunk when going from Reverse to Drive so I'll know right away if it worked.
Old 10-23-13, 03:16 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
I didn't get to try OLT's tweak tip the other day, apologies if anyone was waiting on some info. My trans mount is coming from Sewell, I hope it's not a re-manufactured mount, I will be a bit disappointed. My newer SC only makes the clunk when going from Reverse to Drive so I'll know right away if it worked.
i tried that tps thing it didnt do anything, i actually messed it up but i fixed it again.
Old 10-23-13, 05:01 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SC4o0
i tried that tps thing it didnt do anything, i actually messed it up but i fixed it again.
What did you calibrate the TPS to?
Old 10-23-13, 07:25 PM
jmotsinger
Driver School Candidate

I did mess with the TPS but it did not help.
Old 10-23-13, 07:29 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by jmotsinger
I did mess with the TPS but it did not help.
You don't just "mess with the TPS". Yo have to set it to spec, or calibrate it. Here is a thread I made a whilback when I was having issues setting the TPS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ohms-help.html
Old 10-25-13, 07:33 AM
jmotsinger
Driver School Candidate

Wish I would have seen the information about calibrating the TPS before "messing" with it.

Anyway, I bought some trans fluid and a new filter. I pulled it up on ramps with the intention of dropping the transmission pan and changing the filter. I was having a hard time separating the pan form the transmission and running out of time so I wound up just replacing about 2 qts of trans fluid that came out through the drain plug.

This seems to have helped. Before, it would slam or jerk every time if I did not shift slowly. Now it does it once every few times that I try it.

I think I am going to drive it for about a week and replace some more of the fluid (maybe try to get the pan off again and do the filter too).

Anyone who stumbles across this thread, I will mention that I have found that is not advisable to do a transmission flush. If you come across this and you are having similar issues, a trans flush is not a quick way to change out the fluid. The recommendation is to drain 2-3qts via the drain plug and replace it through the trans dip stick.

I hate it when I find threads that people did not follow through with resolution so I will keep updating as I drain and fill with the results for my particular car.
Old 10-25-13, 01:19 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC400slide
What did you calibrate the TPS to?
i just moved it about an inch clockwise. i damaged the intake in the process

and i wasnt sure which tps to calibrate seeing how i have 2 in that spot where in the picture theirs 1.
Old 10-25-13, 01:20 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmotsinger
Wish I would have seen the information about calibrating the TPS before "messing" with it.

Anyway, I bought some trans fluid and a new filter. I pulled it up on ramps with the intention of dropping the transmission pan and changing the filter. I was having a hard time separating the pan form the transmission and running out of time so I wound up just replacing about 2 qts of trans fluid that came out through the drain plug.

This seems to have helped. Before, it would slam or jerk every time if I did not shift slowly. Now it does it once every few times that I try it.

I think I am going to drive it for about a week and replace some more of the fluid (maybe try to get the pan off again and do the filter too).

Anyone who stumbles across this thread, I will mention that I have found that is not advisable to do a transmission flush. If you come across this and you are having similar issues, a trans flush is not a quick way to change out the fluid. The recommendation is to drain 2-3qts via the drain plug and replace it through the trans dip stick.

I hate it when I find threads that people did not follow through with resolution so I will keep updating as I drain and fill with the results for my particular car.
yea this sounds like the proper way, im going to try this.
Old 10-25-13, 02:55 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

i just moved it about an inch clockwise. i damaged the intake in the process

and i wasnt sure which tps to calibrate seeing how i have 2 in that spot where in the picture theirs 1.
You have traction control. One TPS for traction control, one for SC400. Identify which one is which and go from there.
Old 10-28-13, 02:51 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Well I'm pretty disappointed right now. Got the new tranny mount on but I could only get three of the four bolts on as one split right in half trying to get it off with an impact gun. So now I only have three bolts instead of four and there is no noticeable difference in before and after. Due to my lack of tools I don't have what I need to remove the old bolt at this time and probably won't get around to it right away either....frustrating.

The rubber was pretty beat up so I feel it was definitely worth replacing regardless, but without having all the bolts in I can't say if this helps or not for our problem. Sorry guys, I failed. I read one other person breaking one of these bolts and using just three, but didn't think that would happen to me. Thankfully I did order new hardware with everything, but I cannot remove the broken bolt at this time. Any advice on how to get it out would be appreciated I'll probably google a way and try when I get off next week.

Here's a comparison though of both mounts, it was the only picture I took. And if anyone else is planning on doing this I definitely recommend new hardware...and perhaps soaking the bolts a bit before loosening them, as you can see my old mount is quite rusty...

Old 10-28-13, 03:12 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

now im scared to swap my mounts
Old 10-28-13, 03:14 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC400slide
You have traction control. One TPS for traction control, one for SC400. Identify which one is which and go from there.
ok thanks, i tried moving both but its the same.
Old 10-28-13, 05:16 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

now im scared to swap my mounts
Just try and lube them up a bit from top and bottom, let them soak. Then when you start to undo them, do it nice and slow. Its a broken bolt, not the end of the world. It just sucks right now because it's only getting colder and colder outside, and the wind just makes it even more annoying.
Old 10-28-13, 06:23 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just wanted to post in here, I have a brand new mount in my car with less than 100 miles in, my tranny still jerks. I'm the one who did the install too if that matters but yeah, i still have a big jerk lol. Also purchased it from Sewell lexus, its genuine toyota mount and took me half an hour an hour at most. and you can't just tighten the mount, its the rubber that wears out and gives the transmission the extra slack to move around and vibrate, if you have a vibration on your car and the motor is in good condition it is most likely due to bad motor mouns and transmission mount.

Last edited by SC4Paulo; 10-28-13 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-29-13, 03:00 AM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
just wanted to post in here, I have a brand new mount in my car with less than 100 miles in, my tranny still jerks. I'm the one who did the install too if that matters but yeah, i still have a big jerk lol. Also purchased it from Sewell lexus, its genuine toyota mount and took me half an hour an hour at most. and you can't just tighten the mount, its the rubber that wears out and gives the transmission the extra slack to move around and vibrate, if you have a vibration on your car and the motor is in good condition it is most likely due to bad motor mouns and transmission mount.
are u looking to sell?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Jerk, Surge, Clunk shifting to Reverse and Drive