Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Oil Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-13, 11:52 AM
Farbound
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak?

So, I've been having this oil leak per say for a while. I tried the whole distributor o-ring thing. Didn't work. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem. A bud of mine told me it was cam seals/fms, so i take his word. Just trying to see who has had this problem, and how they fixed it. I don't have space and time to do it. So i'm also looking at labor cost etc. I tried looking it up, but a picture is worth a thousand words.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Leak?-photo0216.jpg   Oil Leak?-photo0217.jpg  
Old 10-11-13, 12:22 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

yes pictures are worth a thousand words, see if you can find waldo

Old 10-11-13, 12:47 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its puddling at that spot, it must be leaving streaks above it. Follow it up until you find its source. Might be the cam covers.
Old 10-11-13, 01:10 PM
Farbound
Driver School Candidate

What i mean by picture is like a write up of some sort. I'm sure it is the cam seals because the cams have oil. Yeah I'll have check that out this weekend. I just wanted to see who has had this similar problem.
Old 10-11-13, 08:50 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SCstone
yes pictures are worth a thousand words, see if you can find waldo

THANK YOU lol
Old 10-12-13, 02:15 AM
SCstone
Pole Position

dude. farbound. man. brother. c'mon. all. engine. gaskets. seals. oil. leaks. waldo. picture. rtv. FIPG. rubber. silicone. o-rings. washers. kit. labor. done. why. looking. for. write. up. if. shop. doing. it. for. you. they. not. goanna. like. you. making. them. replace. one. gasket. seal. at. a. time. do. it. all. at. once. you're. goanna. have. to. replace. them. any. way. when. they. go. bad. eventually. the. set. is. only. like. fifty. dollars. shipped. maybe. not. a. thousand. words. but. I. hope. this. clears. things. up. because. obviously. the. picture. didn't.
Old 10-12-13, 05:43 PM
Farbound
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I appreciate it. Just trying to really learn.
Old 10-13-13, 10:36 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

not trying to be negative. just thought it was a funny the whole words picture thing.. still pretty funny i just read it all over again but I can see it sounding bad and not my intentions. I'd like to help in any way I can and not send you out there without the proper info you were looking for. or info someone else might need. I'd like to make that clear.

but yeah, cam seals are a big deal they hold the oil back in your valve/cam cover behind your cam gears. as does the o ring in the distributor and valve cover and are in the trouble area you circled. I highly suggest replacing ALL seals and gaskets, like the picture they sell sets. and is the best way to go. gasket/seal replacement is part of scheduled maintenance and should not be avoided otherwise you get oil leaks like you are experiencing. reusing gaskets/seals is also a big no-no they can also leak. always use new gaskets/seals when doing a repair or replacement. scary to think this isn't your only leak.. externally.
Old 10-14-13, 06:16 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

im having some leaks as well, hoses under the radiator but its oil thats dripping not antifreeze, im looking to get that gasket set but i dont think thats where its leaking.
Old 10-14-13, 06:56 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

acually sounds like power steering. a line snakes around under the radiator. see if you can wipe some off and determine wither or not its oil. if it is, there is a chance it's your front main seal. or hydropump maybe even oil pan gasket. whats up on a pic?
Old 10-14-13, 08:41 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

acually sounds like power steering. a line snakes around under the radiator. see if you can wipe some off and determine wither or not its oil. if it is, there is a chance it's your front main seal. or hydropump maybe even oil pan gasket. whats up on a pic?
i dont wanna clutter this thread, ill post on my build
Old 10-15-13, 09:06 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Would rather just put a few drops of oil in every week than tear the damn thing a part for a gasket lol. But that's just me.
Old 10-15-13, 09:08 AM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Would rather just put a few drops of oil in every week than tear the damn thing a part for a gasket lol. But that's just me.
i definetly see your point but thats like saying you wear the same underwear everyday, but its ok because you spray it with lysol.

so it works but its not the right thing to do
Old 10-15-13, 11:28 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I heard the best way is to hoist the engine out and replace every single seal and put it back in
If you are trying to install that kit in the picture it may actually be faster than trying to do everything on the car.
Old 10-15-13, 12:04 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

I highly suggest replacing ALL seals and gaskets, like the picture they sell sets. and is the best way to go. gasket/seal replacement is part of scheduled maintenance and should not be avoided otherwise you get oil leaks like you are experiencing. reusing gaskets/seals is also a big no-no they can also leak. always use new gaskets/seals when doing a repair or replacement.

I had a friend that had a bad oil leak and never fixed it just added oil. well eventually one day the oil got low and he didn't keep an eye on the oil level. his car snapped a rod bearing and knocked like the cops. I went to his place to check it out when it happened, checked the dipstick and it was dry...

is it worth fixing a oil leak and replacing your gaskets/seals? YES! especially in a turbo car, uses more oil than an N/A.
please mind your gaskets your engine will love you.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak?