Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Motor turns no start condition - 1JZ SC300

Old 10-11-13, 09:21 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the ability to solder, then they're easy to replace. The fact that you have no power at spark or ignition worries me. Something must be unplugged. Injector/ignition power comes from am2-ig2 connectivity. If its wired as should. Which means it will distribute power out to said injectors through IJ1 pin 3 and pin 7. IJ1 is the dark grey plug in the kick panel with the two fat wires in the middle
Old 10-11-13, 01:52 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

i think he said he has power there but no pulse from ecu. not sure if that means the ecu is powered or not, but some stuff is powered.
Old 10-12-13, 01:46 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked to see if your injectors are firing? I know you dont have spark but you havent mentioned fuel.
Old 10-12-13, 05:29 PM
Lokz
Driver

Ignition was checked via spark tester ( no spark ) . All coils are brand new from toyota.
Injector pulse was checked via stethoscope( no pulse) . Power at injectors was checked by randomly T Pinning both terminals of one injector and checked voltage via Dvom (12V on both sides something isnt grounding) . Checked fuel pump connector via test light to see if it had issues underload etc ( workedout fine ) . I have two used 1JZ soarer A/T ecu's my friends are sending me from over seas. I can solder and stuff but i have never ever messed around with the internals of ecu. I will still go ahead and ohm out my crank sensor to make sure its not that ( i had fuel leak lately but i took care of that few weeks ago) .
Old 10-14-13, 02:24 PM
Lokz
Driver

Update:
I have been sick lately but i got my *** up and did something to it today. This car ****ed with my head pretty bad. Spent hours doing voltage drops and checking crank, cam, sensors etc. I threw an oscilloscope on it and the car randomly started when i was checking my cam sensor input from ecu and i thought my harness was loose or something. So i sat there moving wires, ecu back and forth trying to kill it and it wouldnt die. It even fired up without the fuel pump 12V ecu Modd , im glad i didnt cut the ecu plug wires to bypass it instead i made my own jumper wire so it didnt have to be rigged up. Then it died again lately and it would randomly fire up every now and then and that ****ed with my head pretty bad. Then once i was sure everything looks normal i went ahead and opened ecu and see every capacitor leaking on it. Now i have ordered new caps and just called it the day.

->Long story short it was the ecu, but i tested my whole car out to make sure something else wasnt ****ed up too. I have a soarer auto ecu on my way and i will be recapping it too along with my M/T soarer ecu . If anyone needs one PM me.

Cheers,
-L0kz
Old 10-15-13, 12:50 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Glad you figured it out!
Old 10-15-13, 01:06 AM
Lokz
Driver

It would have been plain and simple if it just didnt want to start. But it kept on firing up every now and then i cant the count number of times i was like FP ECU then back to the 1jz ECU then jumping to each sensor trying to see if anything that is possibly causing it. At one point it made me feel like it was a bad ground somewhere but then after testing almost everything. Ign, Fuel, all grounds, Sometimes it fired with fuel pump modd sometimes i fired without fuel pump modd. Almost nerve wrecking, glad im done with it and didnt take me weeks to figure it out. One more 1JZ common issue out of the way, few more to come though lol
Old 10-15-13, 04:38 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah. Well the fuel pump ecu fails in the same way the engine one does. There is zero benefit of having a fuel pump ecu. Good luck.
Old 10-16-13, 01:42 PM
Lokz
Driver

Update:

Discovered the capacitor leak actually ate a little bit of my circuit board on ecu, so ohmed it out and its open. Now it has officially gone for repair. That **** just got a little too hot for me to handle. Should be running in 2 days for sure. Changed oil cus i was bored.

I will not do the 12V modd for safety reasons, but if i have no option left i have no choice then.
Old 10-17-13, 11:07 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a noisy fuel pump, I see a benefit to a fuel pump ecu being a quieter cabin at low speed and idle. I know its another point of failure, but I really hate loud fuel pumps.
Old 10-17-13, 12:03 PM
Lokz
Driver

I threw another ecu that i received last evening from my friend. In the beginning it ran fine, i tried with both 12V and without 12V modd. It starts both ways, i opened it last night anyways to check for bad caps and it had a bad cap but i just wanted to eliminate the Fuel pump ECU so i went n hooked it up and tried to start it and it starts. So i'm leaving the fuel pump ECU on . Probably just the 1jz ecu was causing the FP ECU to act up. because the FP ECU is wired into the 1JZ ECU and that is what gets it to run.

Later, i start it and RPM keeps on fluctuating, i didnt change **** . I dont understand why this car has to be a little ***** all the time lol. But i will figure it out after im done busting my head on the hood, just problems after problems =( It has codes but i didnt pull them yet. SOLID CEL for some reason.

Now i am changing caps on the A/T ECU , will change all although just one is leaking. Should be running back on the road again tomorrow with it all fixed up and ready to roll.

-L0kz
Old 10-17-13, 01:15 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
If you have a noisy fuel pump, I see a benefit to a fuel pump ecu being a quieter cabin at low speed and idle. I know its another point of failure, but I really hate loud fuel pumps.
That is why I re-installed my fuel pump ecu with my walboro pump. till the day it dies I plan on using it the 9v thing really does cut down on the noise, and excess fuel return from the rail.
when mine goes I will see if there is a way to fix ti, but it keeps on working for some reason.

Originally Posted by Lokz
I threw another ecu that i received last evening from my friend. In the beginning it ran fine, i tried with both 12V and without 12V modd. It starts both ways, i opened it last night anyways to check for bad caps and it had a bad cap but i just wanted to eliminate the Fuel pump ECU so i went n hooked it up and tried to start it and it starts. So i'm leaving the fuel pump ECU on . Probably just the 1jz ecu was causing the FP ECU to act up. because the FP ECU is wired into the 1JZ ECU and that is what gets it to run.

Later, i start it and RPM keeps on fluctuating, i didnt change **** . I dont understand why this car has to be a little ***** all the time lol. But i will figure it out after im done busting my head on the hood, just problems after problems =( It has codes but i didnt pull them yet. SOLID CEL for some reason.

Now i am changing caps on the A/T ECU , will change all although just one is leaking. Should be running back on the road again tomorrow with it all fixed up and ready to roll.

-L0kz
getting closer at least, try pulling the codes now that its running with a working ecu it will actually be possible to diagnose things. or you could have another ecu with less blown caps. they start to show the worst when the ecu is warmed up, you can take a hair dryer to the outside and if it starts to fail right after that then it probably needs some repair also.
Old 10-17-13, 01:24 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lokz

-L0kz
Why are you still trying to diagnose with a known bad ecu? Just wait until you get the recapped ecu and go from there.
Old 10-17-13, 04:06 PM
Lokz
Driver

^^ This is the second ECU, my first one had to be given to someone to take care off because it was something i could not do. The minute i got my second ECU, i opened it up and saw a bad cap. But i just wanted to see if the car started with A/T ECU so i could see if my FP ECU was blown or the previous ECU was causing the FP ecu not to work. Once i figured the old ECU was the culprit, i finally got to put my interior back together. I just got tired of seeing rigged up interior because half of it was outside. thats all i really wanted to do and drive while my other ecu was gone for repairs.

It ran fine 1st time when i swapped ecu, i gave it about 20-30 starts and shut downs at intervals. Here i was not diagnosing anything.

Then i started her to go drive around and i had the idle fluctuating, i was like **** this and i pulled out the ECU and decided to change all caps on it. I only work for soo many hours a day on my car. I dont like to spend all day working on it. I would rather prefer driving more than working lol. The Idle fluctuating sounded like a big *** vacuum leak from somewhere, but i saw nothing that was unhooked. I replaced all hoses, belts, seals, plugs, down to the washers that go on the valve cover when i did the motor swap, that was many months ago, i only put about 4-5K miles and did my first oil change with some BG compression restorer before the oil change. So now i gotta figure out what happened, but i will look into it tomorrow. Probably figure this **** out for the last time to save my life. Buy a toyota they said, it will be reliable they said... lol . This is what i feel right now

@ Ali SC3- I think the minute your FP ECU starts acting up, its just a heads up for your main ecu to crap out. I really think thats where the problem is. Yes the FP ECU has power and ground and stuff, but it all runs through the Main ECU. Now, im not saying the FP ecu can never go bad, but i really think thats where its at. ECU starts to crap out and causes FP ECU not to work. Now this could be just my theory and i could be really off the track. I have only owned this car for 1 year, and its my first SC while you might have owned it longer and probably had more SC's and seen more SC's than i have, so i'm just talking from what i have seen soo far.
Old 10-18-13, 01:32 PM
Lokz
Driver

Update:
Done and done. 2nd ecu was POS too. So fixed it and this problem has been resolved for good now.

Thankyou everyone for help.

Cheers,
-L0kz