Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My SC400 manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-14, 01:11 PM
IBGREEZY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome ingenuity xtra

I'm wondering what your freeway cruising RPM's are @ about 80 mph's? Basically I'm trying to figure out what 5 speed has the tallest 5th gear. I am planning on going KA on my 96 LS and this thread is helping.
A write up on that VSS mod would be **** as well.

Well done on the conversion bud.
Old 04-14-14, 09:47 AM
xtra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WIth the original diff and using the KA transmission.
I was getting about 2400 RPM on 5th at 100 KM/ H , i think that is 60 MPH.

I got the GS400 Diff and the RPM went down to 2100RPM or so at 100KM/H

Sorry i don't have any more details because the car has now been sold.

PS: There was nothing wrong with it, been a 97 OBD2, my options were somewhat limited when it comes to adding power and be Smog legit.
I will need to locate a OBD1 SC very soon.
Old 03-20-15, 04:10 AM
Schleme
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I am having the same issue as you with my speedometer. I recently completed the KA swap and lost my speedo, where did you get the Ultra Speed Meter? I am looking online and cannot find one for sale. Is their any alternative speed meter I can use?? I did this swap in a 1992 OBD1 SC if that makes a difference from yours.
Old 03-21-15, 05:18 PM
victorhugo
Driver School Candidate

Default sc300 clutch

Anybody know what's the cheapest reliable clutch for my 92 sc300
Maybe Nissan 240 clutch or a good website or types of brand nothing fancy everything's stock
Old 03-21-15, 05:21 PM
victorhugo
Driver School Candidate

Default high rpms

Also while we are at it my rpms are off at 65 mph I'm at 5500 rpm n at 100 mph 800rpm what can be the issue n solution?
Old 03-28-15, 03:58 PM
Schleme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by victorhugo
Also while we are at it my rpms are off at 65 mph I'm at 5500 rpm n at 100 mph 800rpm what can be the issue n solution?
sounds like your car is going into neutral at 100 mph. Are you able to accelerate past 100 mph?

Maybe tachometer needs to be calibrated with the transmission.

What are your rpms at 80 mph 5th gear?
Old 03-28-15, 06:57 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by victorhugo
Anybody know what's the cheapest reliable clutch for my 92 sc300
Maybe Nissan 240 clutch or a good website or types of brand nothing fancy everything's stock
factory SC clutch would be easiest. since it bolts on.
Old 03-31-15, 10:11 AM
victorhugo
Driver School Candidate

Default sc300

I talked to my mechanic his mechanic couple of more mechanic they all said it was my clutch going.out that was the reason for high rpms at higher speeeds
The car is currently sitting until I get paid and yes cheapest clutch is oem from AutoZone $100
Old 10-27-15, 08:08 AM
StephenSCB
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys im about to do a ka trans swap into my sc400 this tread was very helpful what i would like to know is how well did the trans hold over time?
Old 12-26-15, 10:22 AM
Ryano085
Driver School Candidate

Default Nss

Originally Posted by k7q
how did you bypass the NSS? im trying to start my car after the 5 speed swap now. but not cranking.
Stuck a blade Fuse in the plug that has the yellow on it
Old 12-26-15, 10:26 AM
Ryano085
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StephenSCB
Hey guys im about to do a ka trans swap into my sc400 this tread was very helpful what i would like to know is how well did the trans hold over time?
Yo Stephen

How did you get on with your conversion just want to know what did people do with there Speed sensors? I know the Digital one will plug in on my w58 trans,
What did people do with the two remaining analog sensors the over drive sensor and the speed sensor at the tail. No where to accommodate them and I'm going Limp mode
Old 12-26-15, 10:59 AM
Ryano085
Driver School Candidate

Default 1uz > w58 Limp mode

Originally Posted by xtra
Hello Everyone
I wanted to make a little contribution to the forum by posting a few pictures of my SC400 manual swap. There aren’t a lot of pictures out there to help potential swapper so I hope this will help out.

It’s a relatively easy swap that can be done in only a few hours.

I have made a post a few months ago regarding using the 240sx clutch pedal assembly in the SC400. The pedal is working perfectly fine with no issues so far.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...al-option.html
Where I live, we need to have all of our smog /Emission equipment working, therefore, I had to modify the kit in order to keep all the smog related items.
Here is a picture of the modified adapter plate that I am using. This enabled me to keep the EGR tube on my SC400

Clutch disk and pressure plate installed

Transmission connected to the adapter plate

Transmission mount I have made

Transmission mount attached to the transmission

I am using the stock KA driveshaft for the swap, I didn’t see the need to get a 1 piece driveshaft made.

Yes the carrier bearing on the 240sx and the sc400 are dead on

Adapter I had made in order to use the 240sx driveshaft, very fine craftsmanship and balanced,

Shifter location , I had to cut off the stock SC400 trim to accommodate the manual shifter. I will clean up the hole with my dremel another time

Shifter hole lines up perfectly, however I had to cut out the opening an additional ½ inch in order to accommodate my short shifter

Short shifter installed,

It seems that a lot of people are loosing the speedometer after swapping the ka transmission in the SC400,
The KA has a 2 wire sensor and the SC has a 3 wire sensor. I got this little device here called the Ultra speed from a local importer, which enables me to get my speedometer working. Yes the speedo works but needs to be calibrated. ( My car is in KM / the device in Miles )

I have also gotten the Dakota digital but I won't be needing it apparently.

There is a quick video when I first had it working, My car is in KM, the device is in miles, that explains why the values are off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnzg2...ature=youtu.be

Let me know if you require any assistance with the wiring.

I hope these pictures will be helpful to anyone converting the SC400 to manual using the KA transmission
Great thread

I would like a little advice please as regards the Two analog speed sensors that's left doing nothing after the conversion, my w58 had a 3 pin speed sensor so handy the loom plugged right in but I'm getting error codes for the other two sensors and that's putting me in Limp mode.

Naturally one would think "unplug the speed sensor, you'll have no speedometer but yawl have power" the moment the engine gets it back to Limp