Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My SC400 manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-13, 08:20 PM
xtra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PseudoK
great work, did you just have the adapter plate cut so that you didnt have to modify the emissions equipment?

did you cut it or did you have the manufacturer do it? Collins adapters?

and how did you get the speedometer working?

also is that adapter better than making a custom driveshaft? and has there been any issues?

The adapter I am using is the Brett Collins adapter plate, All I have done is to cut a portion of it to enable me to keep the emission equipment.

I did cut it myself, took a few hours because it was a slow process since I didn't want to build heat to warp the adapter plate. Most of the cut was done using a angle grinder with a cutting and shaving disk.

As far as the speedo goes, you have a couple of options. As mentioned above, I was using the Ultra speed meter,
Recently , I have gotten a good deal on a LSD aristo diff for my car, I took the opportunity to take out the transmission and will be replacing the 3SGTE pressure plate with an upgraded KA pressure plate. Using the 3Sgte pressure plate works but the pedal feel just annoys me.

Since everything was out, I have decided to design a new easy system to get the speedo working,

I should have pictures and all the details on this post hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

So far, I have not gotten any issues with my make shift driveshaft, I intend to keep it till something happens before making a single piece custom one.
Old 10-13-13, 08:33 PM
xtra
Rookie

Originally Posted by xshurikx
is it as easy to do this on an sc300 regardless of the tranny type meaning toyota or other. Also since we dont have a 3rd pedal how hard is it to run the pedal do you have pictures of that and what additional wires do you need. another question is if you were to go 5speed auto say from an newer gs, not sure if newer sc's ever had the 5 speed
Well, I will try my very best to answer this one.

In the following quote " is it as easy to do this on an sc300 regardless of the tranny type meaning toyota or other" Are you referring to the transmission or the clutch pedal installation?

I am going to assume you talking about the clutch pedal and say the following, The SC400, the SC300 , chassis wise, are identical therefor, I am sure it all be the same. I honestly do not know if this would work on any other Toyota.

I have a thread posted a few months ago about installing the clutch pedal in the SC , I did take a few pictures. Let me know if you have any specific questions on the install and i will do my very best to explain.
Old 10-14-13, 07:39 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Originally Posted by xtra
Well, I will try my very best to answer this one.

In the following quote " is it as easy to do this on an sc300 regardless of the tranny type meaning toyota or other" Are you referring to the transmission or the clutch pedal installation?

I am going to assume you talking about the clutch pedal and say the following, The SC400, the SC300 , chassis wise, are identical therefor, I am sure it all be the same. I honestly do not know if this would work on any other Toyota.

I have a thread posted a few months ago about installing the clutch pedal in the SC , I did take a few pictures. Let me know if you have any specific questions on the install and i will do my very best to explain.
Thanks Post a link to that pedal install if you can, i would like to take a look.

The question is basically the over all install and tranny specifically is it just a bolt on or am i going to have to start manufacturing parts for myself?
Old 10-17-13, 09:55 PM
csneed92
Driver School Candidate

Hey man first I would like to say awsome swap but I have a couple questions for you. Im also attempting this on my 95' sc4 for the same reasons as you and would like to know....

1. Could you provide the demensions of the 240sx driveshaft adapter that you used? What grade of metal was used aswell?

2. What brand transmission adapter did you use or was that also custom machined and what modifications were needed specifically on the tranny adapter?

3.Complete parts list maybe?

Im completely a noob when it comes to transmission swaps and im sure you understand when I say ive done my research and have been overwhelmed with different opinions and options but have a few friends that are experienced and are going to help me. I also have access to the parts and will be using an upgraded ka pressure plate as recommended. Thanks in advance! :-)
Old 10-18-13, 07:33 AM
sc710
Driver School Candidate

with your driveline did you have to move the carrier bearing or did it stay in stock location? if stock could you have used the sc400 rear driveline so that you could do away with the addapter? great job man i plan on doing the same swap.
Old 10-19-13, 10:18 AM
csneed92
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=635994

to whom it may concern I did some further research and found this thread that goes hand and hand with this one aswell regarding this swap I jist thought it might those that were having a lack understanding like I was.
Old 10-22-13, 09:12 AM
Handsome
Rookie

Who makes the adapter for the driveshft? Also did you have to make any mods to the throwout bearing?
Old 10-22-13, 08:28 PM
xtra
Rookie

Originally Posted by csneed92
Hey man first I would like to say awsome swap but I have a couple questions for you. Im also attempting this on my 95' sc4 for the same reasons as you and would like to know....

1. Could you provide the demensions of the 240sx driveshaft adapter that you used? What grade of metal was used aswell?

2. What brand transmission adapter did you use or was that also custom machined and what modifications were needed specifically on the tranny adapter?

3.Complete parts list maybe?

Im completely a noob when it comes to transmission swaps and im sure you understand when I say ive done my research and have been overwhelmed with different opinions and options but have a few friends that are experienced and are going to help me. I also have access to the parts and will be using an upgraded ka pressure plate as recommended. Thanks in advance! :-)
Good day
The driveshaft adapter is about 40 mm or 2.5 inch deep, the second adapter is about 15 mm deep\
Here is a picture of the adapters
Name:  DSC04779.jpg
Views: 6216
Size:  99.3 KB

It was made out of aluminum
The transmission adapter is from Brett Collins, I just modified it so I can keep the EGR. Everything else was a bolt on affair.

Part list is very straight forward.
1 ka transmission ( Grind upper portion of the bellhousing to accommodate the starter gear)
1 ka transmission adapter
Clutch pedal assembly ( I am using the S14 Nissan)
Slave cylinder
Braided stainless steel clutch line
Modded Throw out bearing ( needs to be extended 1/2 inch)
Pilot bushing adapter
Pilot bushing from Nissan
3sgte pressure plate ( I am currently using a staged KA pressure plate)
SR/KA/RB disk
Modded 3sgte flywheel ( re-drilled the PCD to match the 1uz bolt pattern and grind the ring gear)
ARP flywheel bolts ( forgot the part number, I am sure someone can update this)

That is all I can remember for now.
Old 10-22-13, 08:33 PM
xtra
Rookie

Originally Posted by sc710
with your driveline did you have to move the carrier bearing or did it stay in stock location? if stock could you have used the sc400 rear driveline so that you could do away with the addapter? great job man i plan on doing the same swap.
The carrier bearing remained in the stock location. I tried however, I couldn't find any easy way to connect the stock SC400 driveshaft to the Nissan transmission. They are way to different.
Old 10-22-13, 08:43 PM
xtra
Rookie

Originally Posted by Handsome
Who makes the adapter for the driveshft? Also did you have to make any mods to the throwout bearing?
I did, they are very common
Here is a link from driftmotion
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...termk4gssc.php

I just wanted mine to be thicker so I made my own.

Here is a general rule for the throwout bearing, extended it the same amount as the thickness the transmission adapter you're getting. Anywhere between 1/2 to 5/8 will do.
Old 10-23-13, 07:08 AM
csneed92
Driver School Candidate

Dude your awsome... Thanks alot for the help.. Ill be able to show a buddy the pics provided for the drive shaft adapter and Ive already started collecting needed parts, and hopefully ill be able to join the "ka transmission swapped" gang shortly.lol thanks again..
Old 10-23-13, 07:44 PM
sc710
Driver School Candidate

no i wasnt meaning the whole driveline. if the carrier bearing stays in the same place could you use the ka front shaft and the sc400 tail shaft using the two together? cause if the ka driveline slides right into the bearing wouldnt the stock sc400 tail shaft slide right in the other side so there wouldnt be an adapter to the diff
Old 10-24-13, 09:41 AM
xtra
Rookie

Yep, i have though of it but not possible
The ka front shaft connects to the rear shaft using a circular 4 bolt flange. The SC400 rear shaft however connects to the front SC400 front shaft using a yoke/spines style connection.

Sounds complicated but it's the best way i can explain this.

Basically, the 2 halves of the ka use bolt to mate them together, the sc's shaft uses a slide in yoke.

I guess you can take the SC400 rear shaft to a driveshaft shop in order to weld in a flange but the cost factor wouldn't justify not making a 1 peice driveshaft at once.
Old 10-24-13, 03:44 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up a KA trans and driveshaft for my LS. I also got the clutch pedal setup out of the 240 too.

Trans - $75 without speed sensor (need to get one)
driveshaft and clutch pedal assembly - $40

I just have to save up now and buy the rest of the adapter kit with the clutch. I'm using this build for inspiration and research. Thanks for all of the pics!
Old 10-25-13, 05:58 AM
xtra
Rookie

Originally Posted by usoff89
I just picked up a KA trans and driveshaft for my LS. I also got the clutch pedal setup out of the 240 too.

Trans - $75 without speed sensor (need to get one)
driveshaft and clutch pedal assembly - $40

I just have to save up now and buy the rest of the adapter kit with the clutch. I'm using this build for inspiration and research. Thanks for all of the pics!
Hello
I am not sure if you already saw this thread but here is a link that might help you. I bumped into it and saved it because it had a lot of useful info.

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16072

Thanks

Quick Reply: My SC400 manual conversion