Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Stereo Question/Sub works the rest is intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-13, 05:37 PM
SANDSTONE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Question/Sub works the rest is intermittent

So I have a 93 300 with a pioneer stereo and sometimes everything works fine, but most of the time it's only the sub that works. Both the front and back speakers have no sound at all, and it's just bass from the sub. I'm thinking maybe a loose wire somewhere?? I'm not very good with wiring, any suggestions?
Old 09-05-13, 06:43 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your speakers only turn off after when it rains or when you had washed your car?

I had a problem with my factory AMP in the trunk whenever I wash my car or after

it rains. The amp would literally would be wet after this and I am always surprised it still

works. I would throw a plastic bag over it to protect it whenever I wash my car or when

I know it rains.

Also, Check all our connections behind the stereo and the Amp located in the trunk.
Old 09-06-13, 11:43 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If moisture is found near or in the crevices where the amp is at in the trunk, make sure that long clear tube (the sunroof drain) is actually leading out the vehicle. I had this problem. Somehow my sunroof drain tube got dislodged out the hole it should have been going thru so instead of the water flowing out the trunk it ended up pooling. When the water hit the amp or the wire connectors, stereo sound goes out. Doesn't actually die, if you turn up the volume all the way up you'll hear sound faintly.

Hope that is your problem.

Also, I forgot which, the Nakamichi or the Pioneer amp, it's very intolerable to water.
Old 09-07-13, 08:56 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I was going to suggest checking for water also but the above 2 posters have already done so.

I'll just ad that water is the likely culprit since I believe in the older model SC's the subs had seperate amps located next to the sub? Obviously no water is getting there which would explain why its working fine, but the rest of the speakers arent.
Old 09-08-13, 06:08 PM
SANDSTONE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not really effected by weather but I'll try to check for loose wires and let you know what i find, thanks for the tips!