Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Trans build up thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 11:19 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans build up thread

Hey guys so after like 15k of boosting and 120k+ of daily driving my trans is starting to slip like all hell so i picked up a 50k mile core trans and these

Im excited i guess the raybestos blue specials were discontinued and IPT is the only ones who seem to have them (and want wayyyyyy too much IMO)

Any suggestions of things to do in addition while my trans is taken apart? Will be going lextreme tc and transgo shift kit as well.
Old 08-13-13, 01:33 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.atfspeed.com/store/index....&cPath=197_228

Just sayin... ;-)

billet sprag and billet piston... gogogo
Old 08-15-13, 10:38 AM
sj408
Instructor

that would quite literally double the cost of my entire trans build.... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I do want though, just not reasonable for my budget
Old 08-15-13, 02:51 PM
CaliTRDSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. Subscribed!
ive been looking to upgrade my tranny to.
Can we get some pics as you go along, would be great to see what im getting into since ive never rebuilt one
Old 09-19-13, 03:13 PM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by CaliTRDSC
Nice. Subscribed!
ive been looking to upgrade my tranny to.
Can we get some pics as you go along, would be great to see what im getting into since ive never rebuilt one
My buddy actually performed the rebuild and though i didnt get pics i will say there was a full shop table of what looked like little springs and a bunch of other tiny parts. Not something I wanted to figure out how to do on my daily driver.

Actually just got the trans in the car last night and have just been nice to it while enjoying not having to beat on my car to get it to move anymore.

I did a lextreme torque converter at the same time and everything feels great! The "high stall" converter was not quite what i expected but maybe it will take some practice.

The shifts feel strong and the car feels as if it puts the power down alot better now. Probably cause my old trans was so worn out it caused alot of drivetrain loss.

I did not end up installing the shift kit as original planned and Im glad i didnt! Car seems to shift plenty firm and retained great drive-ability compared to what i had anticipated.

For the price, especially in comparison to the old "blue plate special" clutches which cost a fortune I am really happy with how the car drives.

Will report back in a week or 2 when i throw some full boost upshifts at it

Last edited by sj408; 09-19-13 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-24-13, 10:52 PM
sj408
Instructor

Default Update

Hey guys, so been driving around a while on wastegate pressure at 10 psi.

Gotta say sometimes it feels really weird if i get on it at low speeds with the lextreme torque converter, almost as if its slipping the whole time. Thats mostly when im going partial throttle not trying to cause a ruckus.

other times its flawless though, cruises well on the freeway.

As for the red clutches they feel great, seem to hold the power very confidently, i keep it cool in 1st gear until i get fully into second and let it rip. Seat of the pants says it transfers power alot more efficently than my old worn out trans.

For the price I highly recommend them considering the blue clutch kit is like 3 times the price.