Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cluster Lighting..Warm vs Pure White

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 03:54 AM
SC93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster Lighting..Warm vs Pure White

I just replaced 8 bulbs in my dash cluster. Replacement bulbs were purchased from
O'Reilly's auto parts (not sure if they are national) for about $2 per bulb. When I pulled the
old ones, I noticed they all had a green coating and assumed that was to convert the light
being cast from yellow to a more pure white. I tried to peel (roll the green covers off the
old bulbs) but they were "oxidized" and was only able to get two off successfully. So, I elected
to install the new bulbs as is. The new lights did indeed improve the cluster ascetics but
the light cast is on the yellow side now as opposed to a more pure white before. Is that the
purpose of the green covers...to convert the light to white?

Also,I wanted to correct a speedometer problem (reading about 15 mi/hr low) with cluster out and
boards exposed but did not know what to do..I hear it is capacitor related but have no idea where
to look. I kind of just stuck the whole dash assembly back in place loose so to speak and may
try to tackle the speedo problem later on. I'm the worlds worst solderer and probably should just leave
it alone (hate to screw up whole board) but if I knew the specific capacitor (if that is the prob) I
know a good electronics tech and could have him do the replacement.