Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 Hesitation, Idle Issues, Rich Exhaust Smell, etc....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 09:42 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
does the motor respond when you adjust the tps. if not it could be bad. if you have a multimeter and can measure the signal pin, it should vary with the throttle. if it just reads around 2.x volts the whole time without moving that also means its dead, cause with not tps plugged in thats what the tps signal reads normally, its like a default value.
I have the TPS set all the way maxed out and it doesnt have any effect...I can move it and the engine sputters a bit but goes back to same idle....

I purchases the TPS from an wrecked SC...it was only $24 so i figured i would give it a try...they offered a 30 day warrantly on it...considering a multimeter is around $30 I figured i would try the used TPS first. I will most likely be buying a multimeter as I have other uses for it anyways

But i decided to get the o2 sensors at first because it am getting CEL code 26 - which is the lean air fuel mixture...

I'll update once I get the parts installed....Most likely wont get them installed till the weekend.
Old 09-01-13, 07:43 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

I just finished up installing the TPS and o2 sensors...

The one question that i have with the single wire o2 sensor is that you can isolate the wire and it has a small ground wire that goes up the middle of the wire....My question is do i need to isolate both the ground and power wires or can i just leave it as is and just leave it together and connect both end on the crimp connector and heat shrink them up and go....or should i separate the ground from power wire.

Just curious as i wired it up by separating the power and ground wires and used crimp connectors on each?

Or should i take it apart and wire them up together?

Please relate the information if you have wired up universal single wire o2 sensor before. or pics to help if you have them
Old 09-01-13, 07:54 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

As a side note the car fired right up and idle a little rough at first and them it came back around and idles perfect after letting it idle up to operating temp. I had a solid check engine light come on and after diagnosing it is code # 26....which is the lean air fuel mixture. Car runs better than before but still seem sluggish...I reset the ECU before I installed the o2 sensors and at startup I had no CEL but when it got up to operating temp the CEL appeared..?
Old 09-02-13, 10:39 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

new o2 sensors and tps did not solve the problem.....seems like it only struggles at low rpm's <1000 above that it has no problem...

Any ideas....?
Old 09-02-13, 11:31 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Come on guys share your knowledge and help me out...

To Date I have replaced:

Valve cover gaskets
Intake manifold and plenum gaskets
Distributor O-ring
Plug Wires
Spark Plugs
Cap and Rotor
o2 sensor
TPS
MAF
Tried a different ECU with no luck
Checked all vacuum lines
12v fuel pump mod...figured it could hurt.

Car only struggles in low rpms under 1000 and stalls out when trying to idle...it takes a few times to crank it over before it starts up again and I have to keep my foot into it to keep it running...it pulls really hard at high rpms but struggles to stay running at low rpms

I am at the point right now where I am ready to take it to this shop by me that is well known for building Supra's and they are experts on the 2JZ motor and see what they come up with.
Old 09-02-13, 01:22 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Guys looks like I have found the problem....Decided to double check the ECU again and I found the culprit this time.

All the capacitors dont look to bad in the ECU except for one....

Where do you guys send your ECU's to get them replaced at...
Old 09-03-13, 12:21 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

ECU just got shipped out to Lextech to get the capacitors replaced.....Will update when I get the ECU back and I this will solve my problem as I dont know which other route to take if it doesn't
Old 09-03-13, 03:09 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

wow lots of info sorry been away for a bit. with the o2 sensors the inside part is the signal, and the outside is a grounded shielding. you do not want them to ever touch, so the way you did it should work.

You sent the ecu to the right place, they should have it fixed before you know it. a capacitor that looks like that can definately be responsible for all your problems
I thought the ecu was ruled out in the swap test but I guess its possible to have more than one bad one.
Old 09-05-13, 11:53 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

AliSC3 thanks for your responses...I am trying to keep this thread as detailed as possible as there is a lot of similar situations going on around hesitation and idling issues. Just waiting to get the ECU rebuild back from Lextech....Lets hope that it was the last weak link.
Old 09-05-13, 07:06 PM
Brianmoss
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
AliSC3 thanks for your responses...I am trying to keep this thread as detailed as possible as there is a lot of similar situations going on around hesitation and idling issues. Just waiting to get the ECU rebuild back from Lextech....Lets hope that it was the last weak link.
Wish you luck I'm 1 stalled red light away from setting this piece of fire.
Old 09-06-13, 09:18 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brianmoss
Wish you luck I'm 1 stalled red light away from setting this piece of fire.
Stick with it man....Its called a project car for a reason for me at least...Its not my DD so no big deal if it is down for a few weeks.

AliSC3 - What would you recommend doing when i receive the ECU back from Lextech....Im sure it will take a bit for it to reprogram itself upon startup. Any specific steps I should take for breaking in the ECU?
Old 09-06-13, 09:55 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I am fairly sure and (hoping) your ECU will fix your problems you will have many good reliable miles since you have pretty much replaced everything already
Old 09-10-13, 12:11 PM
Brianmoss
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keeping hope alive bump
Old 09-10-13, 12:32 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Awaiting ECU delivery!!! Its shipped out on Tuesday of last week so it prob got there around Thursday....Should be getting it back some time this week hopefeully
Old 09-10-13, 06:15 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Brianmoss
Keeping hope alive bump
Idle/acceleration/surging/bucking/running rich is the least of your worries on this car. No need to be worried. There is an absolute fix somewhere on this forum of 130k members. You just gotta keep lookin'.

Quick Reply: SC300 Hesitation, Idle Issues, Rich Exhaust Smell, etc....