Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Performance & Maintenance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Very light throttle hesitation/jerking

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-13, 11:32 AM   #16
Swint
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: GA
Posts: 30
Default

I'm going to pull the ECU this weekend and look for leaky capacitors.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Swint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-13, 11:44 AM   #17
sj408
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ca
Posts: 924
Default

Sounds exactly like my tps issue, had a brand new tps that was no good from toyota. took a year to figure it out until i hooked up a datalogger and seen no tps signal.

i used to be able to drive however long i wanted.... even 8 hours and it would not have issue. As soon as i started and restarted vehicle i got the light throttle jerking you speak of..... while trying to cruise it would buck back and forth but soon as i mashed the pedal it went away.

bet its tps....
__________________
No for sale in signatures.
sj408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-13, 12:59 PM   #18
Swint
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: GA
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj408 View Post
Sounds exactly like my tps issue, had a brand new tps that was no good from toyota. took a year to figure it out until i hooked up a datalogger and seen no tps signal.

i used to be able to drive however long i wanted.... even 8 hours and it would not have issue. As soon as i started and restarted vehicle i got the light throttle jerking you speak of..... while trying to cruise it would buck back and forth but soon as i mashed the pedal it went away.

bet its tps....
Where did you take it that had the OBD-I datalogger? I would like to look into doing that.
Swint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-13, 01:29 PM   #19
Ali SC3
Na-T Guru
Trader Score: (10)
 
Ali SC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CO
Posts: 6,975
Default

does your check engine light work properly, do you see it come on for a second and go away when you key on.
when you jumper the ports to read it, it should blink slowly even if there are no codes, if not then thats not a good sign.
__________________

1995 Lexus SC300 5spd Na-T ( TT Ecu Mod + a few others)
Ali SC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-13, 01:43 PM   #20
Swint
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: GA
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali SC3 View Post
does your check engine light work properly, do you see it come on for a second and go away when you key on.
when you jumper the ports to read it, it should blink slowly even if there are no codes, if not then thats not a good sign.
Yes, it comes on with key-on engine-off and when I jumper E1 and Te1 it flashes repeatedly showing no codes. I even induced a code (unplugged MAF) to make sure the CEL was working correctly and it threw the corresponding codes related to the MAF being unplugged.
Swint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-13, 01:17 PM   #21
sj408
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ca
Posts: 924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swint View Post
Where did you take it that had the OBD-I datalogger? I would like to look into doing that.
At the time a friend who worked at a local tire shop had the solus scanner that the whole chain passed around. Another friend picked up a snap-on scanner and it has the obd1 toyota adapter.

by what your saying, sounds identical to the issue i had. The super light throttle makes your car buck but if you get in it it "seems" fine? bet if you got a new tps on there youd noticed a world o difference.
__________________
No for sale in signatures.
sj408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-13, 01:22 AM   #22
Swint
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: GA
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj408 View Post
At the time a friend who worked at a local tire shop had the solus scanner that the whole chain passed around. Another friend picked up a snap-on scanner and it has the obd1 toyota adapter.

by what your saying, sounds identical to the issue i had. The super light throttle makes your car buck but if you get in it it "seems" fine? bet if you got a new tps on there youd noticed a world o difference.
The TPS tested in spec and adjusting it even 1/8 of an inch makes a very noticeable difference in idle and shifting RPM. I believe it it in working order. I'm at a loss for words on this one.
Swint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-13, 01:30 AM   #23
Swint
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: GA
Posts: 30
Default

Cleaning the IACV once more seemed to solve the issue
Swint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-13, 07:40 AM   #24
john3998
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: pa
Posts: 17
Default

hi guys i am having the same problems with my 93 sc400 has about the same mileage 117k and i did everything swint did my self. only thing i got mine with the idle problem its just getting worse every day i disconnect my MAF SENSOR and it runs much better i have a check engine light and a traction light when i disconnect it. I take it to the Lexus dealer and they are telling me to start with replacing my transmission like am stupid or i have money like that they r just throwing parts at cars. O I have too throttle plate in mine one is open all the time and the other is close until i rev it out is that normal? i love this car would love to fix the problems.
john3998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-13, 09:09 AM   #25
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400
Trader Score: (59)
 
1JZPWRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Alabama, Roll Tide!
Posts: 8,468
Default

I am still leaning towards three things: bad coils, IACV, and or ignitors...

Here is a great DIY for really cleaning the IACV. I would do this first. While you are at it, replace the bearings, and then put back together.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/perf...acv-sc400.html
__________________
1992 SC400, Sleeper..522RWHP - 93 octane, 1JZ, BW S366, Soarer R154, ACT Stage 4, 800cc, DM LW Flywheel, MINZ FPR, 3" Exhaust, HKS CF Slip on, HKS BOV, Tial 44 WG, BC 264 Cams, AEM gauges, AEM V2, MKIV Auto LSD!
Follow my build thread.....http://www.clublexus.com/forums/buil...and-links.html
Jay's Interior....http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-4...y-1jzpwrd.html
1JZPWRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-13, 10:55 AM   #26
sj408
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ca
Posts: 924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swint View Post
The TPS tested in spec and adjusting it even 1/8 of an inch makes a very noticeable difference in idle and shifting RPM. I believe it it in working order. I'm at a loss for words on this one.
you just tested with a volt meter? Get someone with a datalogger.... pay em 100 bucks and save your headaches.
__________________
No for sale in signatures.
sj408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 01:32 PM   #27
john3998
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: pa
Posts: 17
Default

Ok I will try that this weekend thanks
john3998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 01:32 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine idling high/low/high/low aka rpm hunting. Please advise. Idrive70 Performance & Maintenance 29 12-04-14 10:58 AM
Diagnostics?? DrifterJ LS400 14 04-17-14 02:48 PM
Surging and bucking under load no check engine light rwdaddict LS400 18 11-18-13 01:32 PM
Bouncy Idle after IACV swap USMC97LS LS400 14 01-10-13 07:54 AM
My ongoing Sc400 Issues :( ChrisH Performance & Maintenance 15 06-21-12 12:27 PM


Tags
1985, 1995, 22r, bov, bucks, car, club, hesitation, hks, hot, jerk, jerks, light, sc400, stumble, throttle, toyota

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:42 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info