Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another USA legal swap engine possibility: GM/Pontiac 2.0L Turbo Ecotec 4cyl?

Old 07-10-13, 01:15 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yes you can but its very expensive, but I imagine swapping in a Pontiac motor will be expensive too.
Old 07-10-13, 03:46 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yeah the numbers do look interesting a bit surprised it even gets the 260lb ft at 2600rpm, but even that is barely cutting it for our boats but the solstice is starting to sound like a pretty nice car for cali.. lol.
Personally I'm not so much a fan of two-seater roadsters with no storage space to speak of Another reason I bought an SC. Still, 260lb-ft at 2600 or 340lb-ft at 3600 is far better than 210lb-ft at 4800.

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Can't you do a USDM GTE swap in your SC and still passed Cali smog?
yes you can but its very expensive,
Exactly. Swapping in a full USDM GTE engine is both easier and makes for a more logical and factory supported swap with easy maintenance but it is also a huge premium over a JDM 2JZGTE swap. Last I checked it was easily around $7k to do everything minus your transmission. A US GTE EGR head, US intake manifold, US turbos and US M/T ECU would make this less assuming you used a thick head gasket on your original NA block or change the pistons to TT spec and changed appropriate oil pump, crank sensor and other parts plus all the US emission parts but there is still a chance of a BAR inspector not approving you because your block--despite being OBD1 and USDM-- has a serial number that never came on a 93-98 Supra Turbo. They look it up and it comes back as "Lexus 2JZ-GE".

I've called Toyota corporate about their replacement 2JZGTE short blocks and (surprise, surprise!) they have no way of tying one of the new S/N's to a specific production year to separate out OBD1 93-95 or OBD2 96-98. This is of course because USDM turbo blocks are identical other than the S/N stamping. They're also little more than JDM turbo blocks imported and stamped with those S/N's. One BAR inspector seemed to think this wouldn't be a problem with all other things being equal and I trusted him but I've spoken to at least one other who was adamant about it being the "correct" block and seemed genuinely clueless as to so many things about the swap I'd never take the car to his field office.

I digress but you get the idea which many here have already attested to: your mileage may vary with a BAR inspection. Bottom line is that swaps for most folks really are not this hard to plan for. A truly "legal" GTE swap (whatever that really means) is.

This is still the best option but as Ali said, it's not cheap at all for 320-400hp.

but I imagine swapping in a Pontiac motor will be expensive too.
Again, you've got a point there Ali. Complete Ebay examples of the Pontiac/Saturn LNF (you don't want the Cobalt or HHD transverse versions) are $3,000-$3,500. That's the cost of an Aristo 2JZ. It would also need the LNF manual bellhousing (not sure of this but since the NA version also used the Aisin AR5 it might be possible to use an NA bellhousing as well), a custom engine harness, possibly a modified oil pan+pickup, custom engine mounts and since I've been talking about this as an emission legal possibility everything from the type of cats to the charcoal canister to the evap system integrating with the SC gas tank to the fuel system-- far more trouble than most people doing swaps will get into.

I can see the expense adding up just the way a USDM 2JZGTE would but there are also many unknowns until someone actually tries it.

on another thought wouldn't the gm v8 swap be pretty easy to get bar'd.
I'm not sure but since we've got a couple of LS1 swaps here to document the process it certainly makes it easier. The same emission equipment and exhaust manifold and catalytic convertor caveats apply to an LSx swap as they would an LNF swap since all of these GM options are OBD2.

The cost is also a factor. 5.7L LS1's usually sell for $2k-$3k complete without a T56 and I'm not sure if it's possible or worth it to try adapting an R154 to an LS engine. I believe TurboDremz went full LS-T56 with this swap.

6.0L LS2's prices are frankly staggering. Some are only $3,500 but many start in the $5,000 range and go up to $6k-$8k for some newer examples. That's USDM GTE territory.
Old 07-10-13, 05:28 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Mostly for this thread I simply wanted to shed some light on another alternative turbo engine for our cars that could, in theory, pass a smog visual in California regardless of its pros and cons. It happens to bolt right up to an existing Toyota/Lexus transmission made for the SC/Soarer.

It may be something that I and no one else ever tries but I felt it might help the community just to know it exists because as these cars become older I think it helps to know what options are out there to keep the platform viable.

Arguably a JZ six is enough to keep it viable on its own but I think anything that bolts to a major component of an SC/MKIV/MKIII is worth noting in the forum.
Old 07-10-13, 11:00 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

There's a local shop that swears by this motor and has swapped it into many cars. If it can move an old Chevy Nova, no doubt it can move the SC with the right setup. Now with all of this said, the amount of money and research needed to get into a similar 2ZJ power level would just be a waste. We have a very easy road map written out for us, practically every combination of setups have been tried and proven; in other words by trial and error we already have plenty of R&D for our motors. That being said, I'm all for being different and trying new ideas so if you have money burning a hole, go for it and I'll be there to help with what I can lol.. check it out:

http://www.417motorsports.net/index....r-builds/car-1
Old 07-11-13, 03:00 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris9884
There's a local shop that swears by this motor and has swapped it into many cars. If it can move an old Chevy Nova, no doubt it can move the SC with the right setup.
Just for general info, Chevy Novas without any weight reduction only weigh around 2800-3000 pounds depending on how many doors it had. Or somewhere around there. I don't think any Nova, even the ones extending into the late 70s, had come near the weight of the lightest SC (92 5-speed NA)

The other GM cars that come with Ecotec from the factory that weighed as much as ours were also FWD application IIRC so the powertrain losses were also lower.

I still think it would be less than fun around town. Kind of like a KA-T vs SR20 argument. Drive a KA-T and the torque difference is very obvious even on less than half a liter displacement difference.
Old 07-11-13, 06:48 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All you need is a USDM Gte Head , 550cc, Egr stuff, maf, maybe cams and slap them on your na block.

I wouldn't go that far trying to find a USDM swap.
Old 07-11-13, 07:01 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The pain of ecotec swap would be serious. Wiring everything etc. I would do 2JzGte us spec in a heartbeat. Also please do not mention 3sgte in the same sentence as one of the greatest 4 cyl engines...
Old 07-11-13, 07:54 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
. Also please do not mention 3sgte in the same sentence as one of the greatest 4 cyl engines...
lOL Yeah it is not reliable.
Old 07-11-13, 08:02 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
All you need is a USDM Gte Head , 550cc, Egr stuff, maf, maybe cams and slap them on your na block.

I wouldn't go that far trying to find a USDM swap.
This is a great idea, even though the block wont be for the supra how can they complain if its from the original car. You will have to change the oil pump but the motor should come out for all that work. I imagine you would need the twins for it to look stock.

I am more interested in using the transmission from the solstice myself than the engine.