Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Side mount IC with Front mount IC

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-13, 02:25 AM
Volume123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side mount IC with Front mount IC

Hey guys, I currently have a stock twinned on 14 psi each 1jz. All normal, full 3 in, fmic, and intake. Little more but unnecessary, my only real question here is can I possibly use a side mount IC with my FMIC? I don't really see why it wouldn't be possible as long as I have the room but is it at all even effective? I just want the happiest turbo's/engine as possible and since I have this SMIC sitting around I feel I might as well use it. I just simply have never heard of anyone wanting or trying to do this so if it might be stupid as hell to answer, just don't answer lol. I can sell it if I want, but if it will not sacrifice boost timing or performance in any way and bring some extra cooling then I dont see why I wouldn't use it if I can cut it and retro fit it correctly. Let me know if you have tried something a long these lines as retroing it won't be hard at all, but actual gains or losses is what I am basing the consideration of a decision on.
Old 07-01-13, 05:02 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no. just no. super no. your turbos will have to work harder to blow through another restriction. no
Old 07-01-13, 05:03 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and intercoolers have nothing to do with turbo happiness, they're for engine happiness. And no. just stop.
Old 07-01-13, 05:52 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^^^^^^^^^ x100 ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Stop trying to recreate the wheel!!!
Old 07-01-13, 12:07 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Get a 4 row
Old 07-01-13, 12:44 PM
GTE4Life
Rookie

I would actually put another SMIC on the other side too for a total of three...just kidding. I would say why not try it and see, it would be a cool experiment especially if you had some dyno results. There is no reason why it wouldn't work, it may just be more of a restriction in the system...weather or not that restriction outweighs lower charge temps i dont know. The old 300zx TT cars had a divorced turbo system and that sort of was like two inter coolers...why not try it if you are curious.
Old 07-01-13, 02:05 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GTE4Life
I would actually put another SMIC on the other side too for a total of three...just kidding. I would say why not try it and see, it would be a cool experiment especially if you had some dyno results. There is no reason why it wouldn't work, it may just be more of a restriction in the system...weather or not that restriction outweighs lower charge temps i dont know. The old 300zx TT cars had a divorced turbo system and that sort of was like two inter coolers...why not try it if you are curious.
This whole^^^^^^^^^^ idea is ridiculous

I make over 900 I think I'll try 4 intercoolers to help the IAT temps!
Old 07-02-13, 11:50 AM
GTE4Life
Rookie

Come on man ^^ The first part was a joke, and the second part was just encouraging him to persue an idea if he had one. We mod our cars to make them our own, and to each their own. You remind me of all the people who hum and haw over twin charged cars, but people have created some cool setups doing things that are non-traditional. it's new ideas that push the car scend forward and i think people shouldn't be so fast to diss them.
Old 07-02-13, 11:55 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a waste of time, piping and boost. Your car will not run better, nor will it make a difference.
Old 07-02-13, 07:39 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GTE4Life
Come on man ^^ The first part was a joke, and the second part was just encouraging him to persue an idea if he had one. We mod our cars to make them our own, and to each their own. You remind me of all the people who hum and haw over twin charged cars, but people have created some cool setups doing things that are non-traditional. it's new ideas that push the car scend forward and i think people shouldn't be so fast to diss them.
Yeah let me clarify This whole^^^^^^^^^^ idea is ridiculous

Maybe we should crank bolt an FX 3 procharger on the front as well so we won't need any intercoolers SM or FM, and why your at it drysump the stock TT 1JZ and run some ITB's

Do you even need intercoolers in Colorado????????????

Last edited by blk&blu*j; 07-02-13 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-02-13, 08:08 PM
GTE4Life
Rookie

haha nice one, i'm just saying that not everyone wants a built block with a turbo the size of your head on a dyno queen that is hardly streetable and probably doesn't get much drive time even if it is.

I respectfully bow out...good day
Old 07-02-13, 08:20 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not disputing that forward thinking is not in the best interest of the car scene by this particular idea is not a value IE: the main reason the SM IC gets tossed is due to tremendous heat soak and will only add undue pressure to the stock twins.

Just to set the record straight I drive the **** out of my car virtually every weekend I can and I live in SFLA so seasons are non existent unlike your locale where unless you have a snow plow on the front of your SC its most likely parked in a heated garage!!!! Just sayin!
Old 07-03-13, 09:08 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive my SC all year round. Everyday, snow/weather be damned.

The car scene here is all Hondas and other junk primarily... Thank god I have a decent car that doesnt look clapped together.
Old 07-03-13, 11:02 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
Do you even need intercoolers in Colorado????????????
thats pretty funny because 3/4 of the year here the air is usually so cool you don't need one, but if you step into the sunlight it feels very hot. being a mile close to the sun tends to do that though.

OP, maybe you should try 2 good intercoolers, or even 2 efficient smaller intercoolers because your idea fell apart at using the stock sidemount, it is considered beneficial until it gets heatsoaked which happens more with increased boost, and at that point you might as well not have one at all because the gains would be small. you would need a setup that lowered the temp substantially to feel the difference performance wise.
Toyota did not overdesign the stock sidemount, it was just designed to supress detonation not give maximum power, and the factory setups typically favor hotter intake charges that are still within acceptable ranges as it makes the engine run more stable.

If you want to experiment with reducing intake charges you can try some fans. a while back I was logging on the aem and I noticed that while the intercooler cooled the air well while the car was moving, it would heat up very fast at lights, and take a bit of driving just to make up for the loss sitting there. So I took 2 fans that were about half the size of the IC each and put them in a pull configuration behind the intercooler and set them to be on below 15mph and turn off above that.
End result was at lights it wouldn't heat up nearly as much, and when driving it would get a chance to cool down further instead of just back to where it was.
Then I moved to Colorado and I took all that stuff off because the intake temps are so cool here =)

there are also the systems that spray stuff onto your intercooler to cool it down, those seem even better but another thing to top off.

Last they make these intercooler pipes with fins on them, that help the intercooler out. you could do the piping in both bottom corners of the bumper with those fin pipes lined up to catch air, and then the intercooler in the middle. that would be pretty sweet.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 07-03-13 at 11:14 AM.