Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

should I rebuild or repair my 96 sc300 engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-13, 11:59 AM
Nes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I rebuild or repair my 96 sc300 engine

Hello Everyone: Im new here so go easy on me. I have a 1996 sc300 with 95,200 original miles (certified) and the car is leaking oil. I had the car checked out and was told it was the oil pump. Also when I am on the highway the car does this seafoam thing, alot of blue smoke, from the exhaust where no other cars are visible in my rear view mirror, i slow down then after two minutes it doesnt do it. I was told is a bad "ring" and the engine needs to be rebuild. Keep in mind its due for the cam shaft, water pump, timing belt to be replaced as well.

Any ideas if i should get another engine put in (was thinking about low mileage twin turbo). or just have the engine i have rebuild/repaired . Also money is gone be a factor. All input is appreciated.

Nes.

Last edited by Nes; 06-19-13 at 12:06 PM. Reason: correction needed
Old 06-20-13, 10:17 AM
Drift101
Rookie

it all depends on you budget, a gte motor swap will run you some money, motor alone is 2500 then wiring exhuast intercooler, it also depends on what you want to do with the car, you could rebuld the stock motor an go na-t if thats what your looking to do is go turbo
Old 06-21-13, 04:04 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its probably leaking oil from the front main seal. The seal itself is 30 bucks, but to take it off you need to remove the timing belt.
Old 06-24-13, 12:20 PM
Nes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jwin
Its probably leaking oil from the front main seal. The seal itself is 30 bucks, but to take it off you need to remove the timing belt.
I was told that. And I am prepared to have the water pump, timing chain, and cam shaft seals done, thing is a mechanice looked at my car and told me it was my oil, pump, and my car is blowing smoke out the exhaust when im on the highway. I was told that could be a bad piston ring......

Thats why i wasnt sure if i should just get the engine replaces or repaired. Also, someoneone on here had a forum thread and he had the same problem, it turned out to be he had to replace the ECU....
Old 06-24-13, 01:01 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the Ecu is bad it's because of leaking capicators. Replacing the motor with another motor is really a gamble. You don't know how the other owner treated the motor. I would do a compression check first. What are your plans for the car? If you are planning to keep the engine stock then maybe I would get another motor but if you plan on adding a turbo kit then I would rebuild it.
Old 06-24-13, 02:27 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

it could be something small or something huge. a compression test will give you a better idea of the ring condition. if it just started leaking and the oil has never gotten to really really low or empty, its probably fine and at 90k you are due for maintenance anyway I would just do a full timing belt + water pump + oil pump.
the oil pump doesn't need to be changed often at all really on these motors, and Im not sure how a mechanic can just say the oil pump, its probably a seal or a gasket and if you fix it soon you can save the motor.

oil + anything hot = lots of blue smoke.
Old 07-29-13, 07:15 AM
Nes
Driver School Candidate

Default *update*

Thanks to everyone that helped me with the smoke issue i had. It turned out to be a oil pan gasket leak, oil pressure leak, distributor oil leak. All fixable withouth having to replace the enginge. Now all I need is where to buy the parts. Any suggestions???

Old 07-29-13, 07:18 AM
Nes
Driver School Candidate

Thank you...thats exactly what it is...Pressure switch, distributor, and oil pan, all had leaks. Whats the best place to buy parts? Thanks for your input.......
Originally Posted by Ali SC3
it could be something small or something huge. a compression test will give you a better idea of the ring condition. if it just started leaking and the oil has never gotten to really really low or empty, its probably fine and at 90k you are due for maintenance anyway I would just do a full timing belt + water pump + oil pump.
the oil pump doesn't need to be changed often at all really on these motors, and Im not sure how a mechanic can just say the oil pump, its probably a seal or a gasket and if you fix it soon you can save the motor.

oil + anything hot = lots of blue smoke.
Old 07-29-13, 07:22 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want factory OEM parts, try Carson Toyota or DM. If you want parts readily available then go to local part store, like Advanced, Auto Zone, or Oreilys. Make sure they are Felpro type gaskets. I like them a lot, IMO.
Old 07-29-13, 09:02 AM
redmanV8
Driver School Candidate

I would also get a compression test, and Cylinder leakdown test to make sure the engine has no internal leaks.