Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Clutch disc melted to flywheel??? Southbend/R154

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 10:36 PM
emoFTW
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch disc melted to flywheel??? Southbend/R154

Anybody ever melted their clutch onto their flywheel? What are the symptoms? R154 trans/Southbend clutch.

I launched my car only once tonight. When I went to hit second gear, I stepped on the clutch and it didn't release it out of first gear. It was stuck in first gear, but I can shift the gears without using the clutch as if it were a semi.

When the engine is running, I can't get the car into any gear, but it feels fine whenever the engine is off.

Took the inspection plate off and slave cylinder still moves, I see it pulling the throw out bearing back and forth, but I don't see the clutch disc actually lifting off of the flywheel.

Pedal pressure feels normal, throwout bearing and slave are both brand new and in good working condition.

I can be driving like 5mph, and when i step on the clutch, It doesnt do anything, it still runs like normal as if the clutch isnt being released.

Any insight is appreciated, I just hate to be pulling the tranny, just got the car running and it has less than 1500 miles on this setup.

Last edited by emoFTW; 06-14-13 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-15-13, 12:06 AM
Bleak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lmao I've never heard of a clutch disc melting to the flywheel hahaha..(not sure if that's even possible). If anything you probably have a stuck clutch, which has happened to a friend of mine but not after launching, it happened from the clutch kit sitting.
Old 06-15-13, 06:21 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

you fused the disk to flywheel .. too much heat .. put in 1st gear and start car a few time , the torque of motor usually can break it free .. ive done this a couple of times .. stock r154 and single disk = no launching for you will almost always fuse disk and or destroy the thrust washer within the r154 ..

if plan to launch car at track or light to light , get a twin disk and add the marlin crawler upgrades

(btw at 600 rwhp , im on my second r154 , their will not be a third , when this one breaks i will either due full marlin crawler rebuild with a good twin disc or just go v160 )
Old 06-15-13, 06:45 AM
emoFTW
Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
you fused the disk to flywheel .. too much heat .. put in 1st gear and start car a few time , the torque of motor usually can break it free .. ive done this a couple of times .. stock r154 and single disk = no launching for you will almost always fuse disk and or destroy the thrust washer within the r154 ..

if plan to launch car at track or light to light , get a twin disk and add the marlin crawler upgrades

(btw at 600 rwhp , im on my second r154 , their will not be a third , when this one breaks i will either due full marlin crawler rebuild with a good twin disc or just go v160 )
I tried doing that but it didn't work, any other ideas?
Old 06-15-13, 06:46 AM
emoFTW
Driver

This is the third time I've launched the car, this setup has less than 1500 miles in it.
Old 06-15-13, 12:06 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

either countinue trying to bump start in gear to pop it off or try and use a big pry bar thru the inspection hole and try and free it ,,if not tranny has to come off .. be aware though that you might need a new clutch hub as usually when bumping it , it tends to break a lip off the hub and snap rings wont fit
Old 06-15-13, 01:40 PM
emoFTW
Driver

I'm just going to try and pry it. I've bumped it a lot, but no luck. Hopefully I didn't break anything :/
Old 06-15-13, 01:48 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

All you guys making 500++++ hp need to stop launching 3800+++# cars on single discs and start realizing that this is a big boy game and these cheap single disc clutches are just that, if they were up to the task we wouldn't have twin,triple,and quad disc clutches,if a $ 700-900 clutch would do the job.

Sorry OP but penny wise and dollar foolish just continues to cost money when you realize that the money you've spent several times could have gotten you where you should of been once.
GL
Old 06-15-13, 06:50 PM
emoFTW
Driver

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
All you guys making 500++++ hp need to stop launching 3800+++# cars on single discs and start realizing that this is a big boy game and these cheap single disc clutches are just that, if they were up to the task we wouldn't have twin,triple,and quad disc clutches,if a $ 700-900 clutch would do the job.

Sorry OP but penny wise and dollar foolish just continues to cost money when you realize that the money you've spent several times could have gotten you where you should of been once.
GL

You are correct. I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a twin disk for an R154.
Old 06-15-13, 07:01 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by emoFTW
You are correct. I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a twin disk for an R154.
I get it but at the same time look where you are know stuck,broken, and in need of a complete clutch and a FW at the very least plus the time and energy to procure the parts!!
Sorry for your misfortune but you've already bought a twin disc now

Last edited by blk&blu*j; 06-15-13 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-15-13, 07:46 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this to my act extreme a couple weeks ago. Starting the car in gear didnt do it had to kick the **** out of the clutch while driving, then get it to work and change it because it's done.
Old 06-15-13, 10:36 PM
emoFTW
Driver

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
I get it but at the same time look where you are know stuck,broken, and in need of a complete clutch and a FW at the very least plus the time and energy to procure the parts!!
Sorry for your misfortune but you've already bought a twin disc now

So you think the flywheel is toast as well? I assume the clutch disc was, but I was hoping if I could break it free then maybe the flywheel was salvageable. I'm assuming the pressure plate is salvageable as well.
Old 06-15-13, 10:54 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

R154 Trans = 1UZ V8 , is the fly wheel the same for different engines ?

I need to find out what fly wheel is compatible with the R154/V8 1UZ

I m trying to buy a clutch for my R154 V8.

Thank you for any help on this.
Old 06-16-13, 05:58 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find help in the thread you started for it dude, we don't care about your problems in this specific one if it's not related to fused discs.

Flywheel might be salvageable, but itll most likely have to be cut. I took a scotchbright disc on a die grinder to mine and it didn't wanna take that stuff off easy. More like not really at all haha. Finally got most off, but deemed it to be ****ty and threw in a used setup I had laying around. Once I freed the disc it made the worst grinding sound ever, and that's when I found the pad melted to the fly/pp

the stuff on the fly is raised off of it a good amount

sorry for the crappy pics, but yeah. The one of the pp, that is also raised material. I'm going to have the pp rebuilt and the flywheel surfaced, then toss it on my gf's car. I've already thrown a push converted super single in my car and saving for the twin upgrade now
Old 06-16-13, 06:28 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can this occur with a single launch? Or is it generally related to multiple drag launches or passes back to back and the heat builds up? I'd like to make a few passes at a local 1/8th mile but this scares me. I have a comp clutch stg 4 on street tires and a open diff so it's not like its going t really hook.

Quick Reply: Clutch disc melted to flywheel??? Southbend/R154