Should I get a 1JZ or should I just mate a manual gearbox into my SC400? - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

Should I get a 1JZ or should I just mate a manual gearbox into my SC400?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-13, 09:18 AM   #1
DriftSCZ30
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 40
Default Should I get a 1JZ or should I just mate a manual gearbox into my SC400?

I've been wanting to make my SC400 a manual, but don't know if I should get the 1jz with a manual gearbox or should I just drop a manual gearbox into the 1uz? What's better? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
DriftSCZ30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 09:21 AM   #2
DriftSCZ30
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 40
Default

I forgot to mention Im going with a drift project, and I've heard w55, w58 transmissions brake easily under high horsepower
DriftSCZ30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 09:27 AM   #3
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Posts: 3,178
Default

Different flavors of how you get power. Either way I'd suggest putting a manual in your car. If you have a pre-98 SC400, swap in a W58. If you become far more interested in boost and more power, find an R154 or an entire 1JZ/R154 engine set. Probably the best kick in the pants for the money will be a 1JZ VVT-i with an R154 but plenty of owners just love having a manual 1UZ. You can't beat the sound and feel of a V8.

But since this is a drift project for you, I'd avoid the W58 and especially the W55-- IS300 owners generally don't feel that W55's are very strong for more than a just a stock 2JZ-GE. An R154 against a 1JZ will probably be the best solution for that goal.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-07-13 at 09:31 AM.
KahnBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 12:20 PM   #4
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (2)
 
SC4Paulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NV
Posts: 1,226
Default

i have been told w58 will hold up to a stock 1uz fine. Thats what i would like to do one day or ka24 transmission with an adaptor plate.
SC4Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 12:43 PM   #5
Ali SC3
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (10)
 
Ali SC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CO
Posts: 9,052
Default

a 1uz and w58 can hold up fine depending on how aggressively you drive it. same with a 1jz w58 combo.
Drifting fits into a fairly aggressive category of driving and especially on the drivetrain, so its a no brainer either way you should go r154, especially if the 1uz or 1jz has extra mods on it.

If you are swapping the v8 to manual, that involves a few custom parts that will be different between the 2 trans, and the prices are similar new, so if you buy a bunch of W series adapters and parts you will have to get new R series stuff if you break it and want to go r154 later, or keep swapping out the W series trans.

Alot of people drift with the 1jz, but a v8 with more torque on tap can also be a fun drifter in a different way.
It will come down to your style I guess, or how far you want to go with the project. I like the manual v8 idea myself.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-07-13 at 12:46 PM.
Ali SC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 01:27 PM   #6
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (2)
 
SC4Paulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NV
Posts: 1,226
Default

i love sliding my auto v8, lol. powers over real easy, just gotta be attentive to how much throttle your giving.
SC4Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 09:13 PM   #7
Brianmoss
Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fl
Posts: 110
Default

The w58 bolts up to the 1uz?
Brianmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 09:16 PM   #8
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400
iTrader: (59)
 
1JZPWRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Alabama, Roll Tide!
Posts: 8,500
Default

I say use the R154 on the V8 and call it the day, especially if it runs great... it becomes a real torque monster. If drifting is in the near future then swap in the 1JZ.. they love to be revved! !!
1JZPWRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 09:24 PM   #9
Ali SC3
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (10)
 
Ali SC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CO
Posts: 9,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianmoss View Post
The w58 bolts up to the 1uz?
after you buy over a grand worth of adapter pieces yes you can "bolt" it up, but a 1uz never came with a manual gearbox so most of the parts are custom, but some places sell kits. the r154 kit is a little more expensive but not much more when you consider the whole overall cost, and how much more abuse it can take. for a daily driver a w58 can get you around town just fine, but throw some serious torque at it and well, thats why they made the r154 in the first place.
Ali SC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 12:12 AM   #10
Joey-E
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
Joey-E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: I.E Southern California to SA,Texas
Posts: 4,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD View Post
I say use the R154 on the V8 and call it the day, especially if it runs great... it becomes a real torque monster. If drifting is in the near future then swap in the 1JZ.. they love to be revved! !!
This
Joey-E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 10:13 AM   #11
DriftSCZ30
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingshawty View Post
i have been told w58 will hold up to a stock 1uz fine. Thats what i would like to do one day or ka24 transmission with an adaptor plate.
Yeah I thought about doing that since I saw some video on YouTube, of a guy who swapped a ka24 tranny into his 1uz. I've heard the ka24 tranny can hold high hp.
DriftSCZ30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 10:14 AM   #12
DriftSCZ30
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 40
Default

Does anyone know of any build threads doing the ka24 tranny swap into the 1uz? For the sc400 of course
DriftSCZ30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 03:26 PM   #13
Brianmoss
Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fl
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali SC3 View Post
after you buy over a grand worth of adapter pieces yes you can "bolt" it up, but a 1uz never came with a manual gearbox so most of the parts are custom, but some places sell kits. the r154 kit is a little more expensive but not much more when you consider the whole overall cost, and how much more abuse it can take. for a daily driver a w58 can get you around town just fine, but throw some serious torque at it and well, thats why they made the r154 in the first place.
If people are gonna drop that much why not get a transmission worth making an adapter kit for like a v160 or a t56, he'll even a 350z trans would be better.
Brianmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 05:39 PM   #14
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Posts: 3,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianmoss View Post
If people are gonna drop that much why not get a transmission worth making an adapter kit for like a v160 or a t56, he'll even a 350z trans would be better.
The SC chassis tunnel and mounting points are engineered to fit an R154 from the factory. You need some other parts aside from the actual transmission but its an inexpensive solution compared to a $5,000+ V160 swap or a custom T-56 swap. The CD009 350Z transmission might be inexpensive to buy upfront but I have yet to see anyone actually bolt it up into an SC and drive with it. Anything is possible with money but it makes more sense to use a relatively inexpensive solution that already takes factory parts associated with your car or a close relation.

Of all those alternatives, the V160 has been swapped into a good handful of 1UZ SC400's. The engineering and how to support for that already exists but it does take more work and the cost is considerably more than an R154.
KahnBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 11:20 AM   #15
DriftSCZ30
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahnBB6 View Post
The SC chassis tunnel and mounting points are engineered to fit an R154 from the factory. You need some other parts aside from the actual transmission but its an inexpensive solution compared to a $5,000+ V160 swap or a custom T-56 swap. The CD009 350Z transmission might be inexpensive to buy upfront but I have yet to see anyone actually bolt it up into an SC and drive with it. Anything is possible with money but it makes more sense to use a relatively inexpensive solution that already takes factory parts associated with your car or a close relation.

Of all those alternatives, the V160 has been swapped into a good handful of 1UZ SC400's. The engineering and how to support for that already exists but it does take more work and the cost is considerably more than an R154.
Ok so how much would the R154 full swap cost?
DriftSCZ30 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
w58 to 1uz sc400 swap about ready kolessc400 Build Threads 65 03-22-16 04:16 PM
7-Speed BMW/Getrag DCT conversion for MKIV's KahnBB6 Performance & Maintenance 3 10-12-15 02:19 PM
SC400 5speed question regarding ECU babowc SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) 25 01-03-14 08:46 AM
SC400 Manual conversion ???'s Mattmannz Performance & Maintenance 10 03-04-08 07:45 PM
gearbox alanhp Performance & Maintenance 1 05-01-04 05:56 PM


Tags
1jz, auto, hp, increase, ka24, lexus, ls400, manual, mate, sale, sc400, speed, switch, t56, trans, transmission

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved