Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Should I get a 1JZ or should I just mate a manual gearbox into my SC400?

Old 06-10-13, 02:08 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Brianmoss
If people are gonna drop that much why not get a transmission worth making an adapter kit for like a v160 or a t56, he'll even a 350z trans would be better.
the v160 alone is several times the entire price of an r154 + r154 adapter pieces, and the r154 is known to be friendly to abuse well up to the 600hp mark and a good trans to drift with.
If you happen to find a way to break an r154 at the track, you can find a quick replacement and drop another one in as the trans is not that expensive and you already have all the extra parts.

I don't see a whole lot of 600hp 1uz's rolling around, but if you have one then yeah a v160 would be a good idea, but it will cost you several times more and you still need all the adapter parts.
After all that initial investment if you smash a synchro or break something on mis-shift or clutch kick throwing your car around, you are in another expensive situation of tearing into a getrag or replacing it.

the 350z transmission is interesting, but no one knows how much power it will hold through the adapter plate setup or the super thick flywheel. also the shifter is not coming up in a great spot.
T56 is interesting also, but not a whole lot of progress on the 1uz to T56 front that I know of.

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
The SC chassis tunnel and mounting points are engineered to fit an R154 from the factory. You need some other parts aside from the actual transmission but its an inexpensive solution compared to a $5,000+ V160 swap or a custom T-56 swap. The CD009 350Z transmission might be inexpensive to buy upfront but I have yet to see anyone actually bolt it up into an SC and drive with it. Anything is possible with money but it makes more sense to use a relatively inexpensive solution that already takes factory parts associated with your car or a close relation.

Of all those alternatives, the V160 has been swapped into a good handful of 1UZ SC400's. The engineering and how to support for that already exists but it does take more work and the cost is considerably more than an R154.
Couldn't have said it better myself, the r154 is toyota's turbo 5 spd trans. people have been drifting it for decades now. no need to reinvent the 5 speed transmission that can handle spirited driving and for the most part fits right into your car.

Originally Posted by DriftSCZ30
Ok so how much would the R154 full swap cost?
the cost of a normal r154 swap plus all the 1uz adapter pieces like custom flywheel, bellhousing or adapter, and other little stuff. basically every part exists already made by toyota except for the manual flywheel and the bellhousing. some guys in the phillipines make a cast bellhousing that looks almost like it could have been made by toyota that will mate the 2 together with a toyota fork and slave cylinder. the other option is an adapter on the auto bell housing, but requires the use of a hydraulic throw out bearing which is more of the domestic style of doing things.

even if you go 1jz or 2jz with r154, you will be spending ~300 on the soarer bellhousing, so the real extra cost is going to be the flywheel and miscellaneous items.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-10-13 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-11-13, 08:36 AM
DriftSCZ30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright thanks on the info y'all
Old 06-11-13, 09:43 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

If you find a good deal on a 1jz/r154 motorswap though that is definitely a route that will work and you can make more power in the future.
Old 06-11-13, 01:33 PM
nuturf87
Pole Position

What's going on gentlemen. Lol. Let me jump in. As far as experience with the sc400 is a bit more complicated, more dinero for aftermarket parts, custom parts can be costly and not many options to go with. R154 tranny and swap parts will get you close to $2000 on parts give or take depending on price deals. Therefore leaving you with the options of a 1jz/r154 or 1jz vvti r154 swap. Vvti swap can be grabbed complete for about close to the same amount of a 1uz r154 swap parts. Also take in consideration the condition of the 1uz before investing the money on a tranny swap, with the availabilty of options that you have you can get your monies worth with a 1jz swap. Leaving you with room for more power in the future if decided. Good luck:-)
Old 06-14-13, 10:05 AM
DriftSCZ30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nuturf87
What's going on gentlemen. Lol. Let me jump in. As far as experience with the sc400 is a bit more complicated, more dinero for aftermarket parts, custom parts can be costly and not many options to go with. R154 tranny and swap parts will get you close to $2000 on parts give or take depending on price deals. Therefore leaving you with the options of a 1jz/r154 or 1jz vvti r154 swap. Vvti swap can be grabbed complete for about close to the same amount of a 1uz r154 swap parts. Also take in consideration the condition of the 1uz before investing the money on a tranny swap, with the availabilty of options that you have you can get your monies worth with a 1jz swap. Leaving you with room for more power in the future if decided. Good luck:-)
So a 1jz is the best way to go?
Old 06-14-13, 11:58 AM
zzobeyyzz
Driver

I find the 1jzgte a preeety cheap swap compared too a 2jzte. I like how you get good power stock for a fairly good price
Old 06-14-13, 11:59 AM
zzobeyyzz
Driver

Try Craigslist and ebay too see where you can get the best deal
Old 06-14-13, 01:27 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

It's also a very good idea to get your R154 rebuilt with a Marlin Crawler thrust washer, MC front bearing retainer plate and the MC 1-2 internal chromoly shift fork. There is also a 3-4 internal chromoly shift fork available from Driftmotion. The first two pieces are very important to the life of the gearbox with any substantial power and hard driving because they cure the only weak point: oil starvation to that front bearing from the cheese stamped steel factory bearing plate shifting around under hard abuse and high horsepower. Toyota may have updated some bits for the later Soarer/JZX R154's.
Old 06-14-13, 06:26 PM
DriftSCZ30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zzobeyyzz
I find the 1jzgte a preeety cheap swap compared too a 2jzte. I like how you get good power stock for a fairly good price
Ok so now I'm positive on going with the 1jz, how much would the whole swap cost for the sc400?