Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone running any sort of upgraded cams on their GE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 04:59 PM
CrispyST3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running any sort of upgraded cams on their GE?

Hey guys, so i'm thinking of sending my cams into Brian Crower so they can regrind them to a larger lift.

Eventually i'm either going to swap the engine to a GTE or decide to go full NA build and get their stroker kit and go 3.4L. I'll decide on which when the time comes, but for now in order to get a little extra power i'm going to just throw some cams into it along with my headers and KN drop in filter.

My question is, has anyone else gotten these cams installed? How much of a difference was there in power?

Did you have a mechanic do it or did you do it yourself? Are you happy with the results?

If you haven't done it yet would you be interested to see what it could do for your engine?
Old 06-04-13, 06:36 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

check the supra forums there have been a few na ge builds, still cheaper and easier to slap a turbo on
Old 06-05-13, 04:39 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

without being able to optimize fueling and timing , installing higher lift and duration cams and still being na on stock ecu wont give you much .. once you go standalone and turbo you will get huge results as i have .. i have 268 duration cams with almost 9.5 lift and it gave me almost 80 rwhp compared to when i tuned without them
Old 06-05-13, 06:33 PM
CrispyST3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, i understand that it's easier to go turbo, however right now i don't have the money for that, instead for a quick bang for your buck i'm thinking of running some cams, i have some headers, will do some exhaust tuning, and maybe see if i can find an ECU chip and run that for a while. I'm just looking to give it a lil more umphh in the meantime.

I spoke to someone at Brain Crower and i asked what kind of power gains can i expect with the stage 2 cams they advertise with everything else being stock. He said around 28 hp. Thats sounds about right and sounds more than enough for what i'm looking for at the moment. I'm sure with all the other bolt ons it will help but i'm not expecting much from them, maybe another 5-7.

Also i was thinking of finding some slightly bigger fuel injectors for my car and run those to compensate for the added air the cams will be bringing in. I"m not talking the 550 cc but i read somewhere the the stock SC300 injectors are 330cc so maybe some 440 cc?

Ofcourse i'd upgrade my ignition system and i think i'll be set to go