Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Smaller turbo installed now boosting higher

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-13, 02:57 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smaller turbo installed now boosting higher

Hey guys, so after installing my 61 garrett ball bearing i decided to disconnect my boost controller and before i would get 10-11 psi now im getting 15+. What gives? everything is the same just went from a 67 to a 61.
Old 06-04-13, 07:21 PM
sj408
Instructor

Nobody has some insight? now its boosting 15+ and I would like it <14.
Old 06-05-13, 04:14 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what did you do with the lines you disconnected from the boost controller?
Old 06-05-13, 04:39 PM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMCtuner
what did you do with the lines you disconnected from the boost controller?
re routed everything like it would be without a controller, wg to compressor housing.

So I guess it might just be my old turbo was not up to the task because if I remember right my WG had a silver spring and the hks 50mm gate silver spring says its like 18psi.... although it says its adjustable from like .8 bar to 1.2 or something but the adjustment screw fell out and I have a normal one in there.

Maybe since everything is tight and no leaks this is where ill be boosting? gonna see if I can find a 14psi spring
Old 06-05-13, 06:33 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what do your afrs look like?
Old 06-06-13, 08:03 AM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by scviolence
what do your afrs look like?
Not sure, waiting on a replacement uego gauge. It was a hassle since AEM is ****in lame and wont sell you a new one outright.

out of curiosity what would the relation between that and boosting higher be?
Old 06-06-13, 08:36 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are you working so hard to not have a boost controller?

Even if you had a 14 psi wastegate spring and wanted 14 psi, you'd have better response with a boost controller preventing any pressure at the wastegate until your set point is reached.
Old 06-06-13, 12:36 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

what MooJohn said is correct, adding a boost controller and setting it around where your wastegate normally opens will not raise the boost much, but it will keep the wastegate from cracking open earlier = better spool and turbo doesn't work as hard.

as for your boost issue,it is odd because if you were at 10-11 psi before, that means you have a spring that is 10-11 or lower, because a boost controller cannot lower the boost below what the spring is, a boost controller can only raise the boost. so the only thing I can think of as to why you are at 15 is the adjustment screw that you are talking about, if it is an adjustable HKS then thats probably the culprit, and you can try backing it out some more I think the more it pushes on the diaphram the more pressure it takes to open. never played with one but without some sort of other adjustment is would not be possible to have more boost without the controller. Turbo difference should not matter as long as the line from the wastegate is coming from the same place like the compressor housing on both turbo's. if you moved the reference to the intake manifold lets say, you may notice a small psi increase/difference.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-06-13 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-06-13, 01:20 PM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
what MooJohn said is correct, adding a boost controller and setting it around where your wastegate normally opens will not raise the boost much, but it will keep the wastegate from cracking open earlier = better spool and turbo doesn't work as hard.

as for your boost issue,it is odd because if you were at 10-11 psi before, that means you have a spring that is 10-11 or lower, because a boost controller cannot lower the boost below what the spring is, a boost controller can only raise the boost. so the only thing I can think of as to why you are at 15 is the adjustment screw that you are talking about, if it is an adjustable HKS then thats probably the culprit, and you can try backing it out some more I think the more it pushes on the diaphram the more pressure it takes to open. never played with one but without some sort of other adjustment is would not be possible to have more boost without the controller. Turbo difference should not matter as long as the line from the wastegate is coming from the same place like the compressor housing on both turbo's. if you moved the reference to the intake manifold lets say, you may notice a small psi increase/difference.
Yeah im aware of the benefits of a boost controller other than raising boost. I Also like alot of simplicity in my setup. Just a personal preference, I did only remove it to test what boost i hit solely on the spring in order to troubleshoot my issue.

I actually lost the adjustment screw so never had a reference as to how long its supposed to be, I simply threw in the first screw that could thread in. All the meanwhile was boosting 10-11 psi no problem.

I think maybe it was just my old xs power turbo + the leaks i had. Not really sure.

Guess ill toy with it and try to back the screw out some. Im thinking though that my setup is just sealed up better and boosting where the spring says it should be.

How would i go about setting it to work at my springs psi setting then? just upping the set gain or??? regularly i would put the set gain close to where the set boost is but since i have no % increase of boost how would that work?

This isnt too big of a deal to me, but i hate hitting boost cut. Although walking away from a 2013 jag is always nice in my 93 haha 16psi on the freeway lol

Last edited by sj408; 06-06-13 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-06-13, 03:07 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

well one leak that is possible is between the turbo and the intake, and if you have your boost gauge on your intake you will see less boost with a leak than what the turbo is putting out from its housing which is what your wastegate is seeing, so its possible your turbo was putting out 15 psi, but your engine and your boost gauge were getting 10 psi. probably never really know exactly what happened.

if its the adjustable kind it could help lowering it whichever way that means you turn it not sure, but if it was just a leak or something else and the spring is actually 15, if its not not adjustable and you want less boost you are going to have to go to a lower spring, or recreate your leak.

Im not sure how you go about the settings on the electronic one, only electronic I have used was in the aem ems software and Im not even sure how to make an electronic one do it like that the lines will prob have to be a certain way.

I have a manual boost controller the kind with the ball and spring and its just on the line from the boost source to the wategate. the ball and spring doesn't let any boost through until the psi you want, then it lets it all through at once so the wastegate doesn't get to creep open which it apparently did alot cause it made a huge difference. this is not a bleeder type setup and does not need to feed any boost to the other half of the wastegate.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-06-13 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-07-13, 05:43 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sj408
Not sure, waiting on a replacement uego gauge. It was a hassle since AEM is ****in lame and wont sell you a new one outright.

out of curiosity what would the relation between that and boosting higher be?
Yes you can buy just the sensor by itself.
Part# 30-2001
Old 06-07-13, 09:01 AM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Yes you can buy just the sensor by itself.
Part# 30-2001
I was talking about the gauge, aem wont sell you one unless you send your old one in first....