Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 A/C Compressor Revolution Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-13, 03:32 AM
Bertman
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC400 A/C Compressor Revolution Sensor

Recently my A/C Light has been blinking, resulting in shutdown of the compressor & loss of cold air. I've noticed that this happens whenever I decide to gas it on the highway & rev past 3k. After troubleshooting the system, and not being able to find any trouble codes in the system, I came to the conclusion that my AC Compressor Revolution Switch was bad. This is where my REAL issue started. Dealership after dealership could NOT reference this part for me and they wanted me to buy a new compressor for $600 bucks instead. But thankfully I was persistent enough to finally find the part (Part number 88336-24030), and I wanted to share this on CL so some poor schmuck doesn't have to search the entire internet for hours like I did for one stupid sensor. There were threads that I came upon here where people were also having a hard time finding the part number and ordering this part, so I thought it would be a great idea to post this info. Summer is right around the corner and I'm sure AC issues will soon begin to pop up!
Old 06-01-13, 07:06 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you for sharing the information. I am sure that many will read this, but not post.
Old 06-01-13, 11:03 PM
Bertman
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Thank you for sharing the information. I am sure that many will read this, but not post.
Haha. Very true. But its ok, I don't mind the silence. I just wanna do my part to help out because given the lack of information regarding the Compressor Switch, I thought it would be a great idea to post it up as a reference for anyone searching for this part in the future. I also wanted to clarify that Part Number 88336-24030 is the new part number for 1992 to early 1993 SC400 models that previously used Part Number 88336-24010. For some odd reason Lexus Dealerships have NOT updated this new Part Number on their part diagrams & inventory for 1992-1993 SC400s, so when they try to look for it using their Parts Diagram, they wont be able to find it and try to tell you that it is discontinued. You MUST reference it by the new Part Number.
Old 06-25-14, 12:17 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Now that it's hot as ***** out, I want to bump this thread.

My AC has been working intermittently for about a year. Since I've only put about 5000 miles on this car in the last three years, I haven't bothered with it. Now I'm down to driving the SC or my antique Porsche, which has no AC system at all.

Symptoms- Compressor will engage on start up and blows very cold air. After a short time (1-10 minutes maybe) it will shut off and the fan only blows ambient temp air.

The only code stored is #21, which I believe is pretty normal for these cars, and exists in cars with properly functioning AC.

I don't suspect a freon leak because as long as the compressor is engaged, the air is icy. Taking that into consideration, I don't imagine it's a low pressure switch issue either. I could be wrong.

Before going through the expense of paying for, and trouble of replacing the compressor, I'm wondering if this sensor is a good bet given the symptoms my car has.

Thoughts?
Old 07-15-14, 12:25 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Bump. I purchased another sensor to try in my car. This may be a dumb question, but since the sensor is essentially on the bottom of the compressor, do I have to drain the freon out and then refill?
Old 09-14-14, 09:00 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Bump. I purchased another sensor to try in my car. This may be a dumb question, but since the sensor is essentially on the bottom of the compressor, do I have to drain the freon out and then refill?
Did this fix your problem mongoose? My light is blinking now as well so I guess this may be why. Funny how one thing pops up as soon as another is fixed. This makes the 4th problem in the series in the past week or so. Gotta love my luck....