Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What mount and crossmember for R154 into SC300? (have searched)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-14, 11:36 AM
Kire
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you do without the center bolt? The Celica mount does include the bolt but like you stated above, the crossmember doesn't have this recess for it. Ali SC asked if this was necessary as well in another thread but it was answered:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ossmember.html
Old 08-15-14, 04:58 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I never tried removing the bolt because I didn't want to mess with whatever Toyota put it there for on the older mounts. Kire, I looked up Shern's thread that you posted above and they weren't talking about the Celica/MKIII Supra W58/R154 mount. They were talking about the SC/Soarer/MKIV W58 mount which has no center bolt. The issue with using the newer style mount on an MKIII transmission with an SC crossmember is that you only have two mounting holes used on the back of the transmission.

I HAVE seen someone drill the crap out of an SC automatic or M/T aluminum crossmember to make a Celica/MKIII mount fit but only in forum pictures and I really don't think that's a great idea given the need for a center recessed area. It's cast alloy not forged for one thing.

At least with the Celica crossmember you have heavy steel you can safely weld as needed. That or using the DM kit will work just as well.
Old 08-19-14, 12:57 PM
Kire
Driver

So the final verdict is that the Celica transmission mount does connect to the MKIII transmission but isn't long enough for the crossmember bolts. You'd have to drill holes in the crossmember (like you would with the DM kit) and use longer bolts due to the center bolt clearance issue. If I had a spare crossmember, I would give it a shot
Old 08-19-14, 01:12 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Kire
So the final verdict is that the Celica transmission mount does connect to the MKIII transmission but isn't long enough for the crossmember bolts. You'd have to drill holes in the crossmember (like you would with the DM kit) and use longer bolts due to the center bolt clearance issue. If I had a spare crossmember, I would give it a shot
Kire, you're speaking about the rubber mount itself? The solution is to use an 86.5-92 Supra MKIII R154 transmission mount. That fits perfectly into the 82-85 Celica W58 crossmember perfectly with no modification.

That crossmember still needs to be cut, welded and extended on the passenger side to bolt right into the SC chassis.
Old 11-01-14, 11:39 AM
eblick99
Driver

good info thanks!

edit:

is the auto crossmember and w58 crossmember the same? they have same part number in the book im looking at. maybe you guys already mentioned this and i just missed it, and i just re-read this thread. im going 92 auto to R154.

Last edited by eblick99; 11-02-14 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-02-14, 11:47 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by eblick99
good info thanks!

edit:

is the auto crossmember and w58 crossmember the same? they have same part number in the book im looking at. maybe you guys already mentioned this and i just missed it, and i just re-read this thread. im going 92 auto to R154.
Sure!

To my knowledge, the W58 and Auto crossmembers are not the same but I could be wrong. What EPC are you looking at?

Also, what version of the R154 are you putting into your SC? If it is a tripod version then you can use the factory SC/MKIV W58 transmission mount and factory manual-compatible SC crossmember. If, on the other hand, you are using a converted MKIII or early Soarer R154 then you will need to use an MKIII Supra R154 transmission mount and 82-85 Celica W58 crossmember with some cutting and welding on one side... OR... you can use the crossmember kit from Driftmotion.
Old 11-03-14, 06:39 AM
eblick99
Driver

its a mkiii r154. i have a w58 also, so ive got the auto mount/crossmember, w58 mount/crossmember, and the mkiii r154 mount/crossmember. i hope one of these will work with some light drilling? if not ill just grab the driftmotion kit, its not too spendy. i need my shifter housing extended anyways and ill probably pick up the beech short throw shifter from them, so maybe ill add that kit to it also.
Old 11-03-14, 12:42 PM
KahnBB6

^^ The W58 crossmember can be drilled but it also needs to have a good portion of the center bored out to allow the MKIII mount's center bolt to fit inside it. I really don't recommend doing that. The Driftmotion mounting kit is basically a custom transmission mount that fits the SC300 crossmember and uses two billet spacers to lower the crossmember below the chassis line by an inch or two. Unless you can locate the Celica crossmember and have that cut and welded to fit the passenger side (makes for a much more OEM fit) then the DM kit is best. The Keep the MKIII R154 transmission mount even if you don't use it with the DM kit-- could come in handy later. The MKIII R154 crossmember is not compatible with the SC chassis at all. You might be able to sell it in the Supra MKIII parts section on SF though for someone doing a conversion.

DM does a good housing extension on a dedicated jig (4"-4.75" I think) and you'll need the Beech straight shifter at that point, yes.

Good luck!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-03-14 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-04-14, 02:57 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

I have The mount if you need it for a R154 into a SC 300 its in a wrecked SC I have car was hit in the front DS quarter. LMK
I also have an early SC true R154 DS as well as the 92-95 true SC R154 with the Swan shifter.

Last edited by blk&blu*j; 11-04-14 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Added
Old 11-04-14, 06:27 AM
eblick99
Driver

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
I have The mount if you need it for a R154 into a SC 300 its in a wrecked SC I have car was hit in the front DS quarter. LMK
I also have an early SC true R154 DS as well as the 92-95 true SC R154 with the Swan shifter.
pm'd re: R154 parts
Old 03-09-15, 06:13 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks I needed this thread!!
Old 03-09-15, 09:32 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

I literally just said forget it, and bought the whole driftmotion set up. it was so simple. I didn't want to hassle. I had everything already ready for the swap except for the polyurethane mount, trans bracket spacers and the shifter extension. I didn't have a welder or any knowledge of what other trans bracket to buy so I just ordered that. I was actually amazed at how easy it worked and how nice the 1" spacers looked. I honestly would prefer this way over modifying the factory bracket or going through the trouble of finding out exactly what bracket is needed.
edit: oh and as kahnbb6 said, for the dm style extension shifter, 4.75" is what he does for mk3 r154 into sc300, you will absolutely NEED the beech performance short throw shifter. there is no way for the mk3 shifter to work on our cars with the dm shifter extension. I drove around with no shifter bezel for a week until I ordered my beech performance short throw shifter. sadly I hydrolocked my engine so now i'm painting my engine bay, rebuilding my engine, cutting out the trans tunnel to make the shift boots bolt on like factory and installing the short throw all In one go.

Last edited by grumpi300; 03-09-15 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 11:32 PM
KahnBB6

megamax -- glad it helped you!

grumpi300 -- Sorry to hear about your engine! I hope you can get it running again relatively soon

My take on the MKIII trans mount issue is that we at least have a couple of options. DM makes a kit and so far there is at least one close match from another Toyota if some welding work is done. Either way it will work. How is the lowered underside clearance with the DM kit in your opinion? Not bad?

^^ As you said, the Beech shifter is required if you go with DM's long extension housing. I don't have much more to add about the extension options other than that for the time being the OEM Soarer extensions and matching shift arms are still obtainable new... if you *don't* go through Toyota to find them (re: importer). However long that lasts. Still a good option for 92-94 5-speed cars with the W58 tunnel (direct fit). But the DM solution is more than proven.
Old 03-10-15, 07:00 AM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

considering i'm still on stock ride height and haven't lowered, (yet). lol. the lowered crossmember isn't bad at all. i'll take a picture today and show you guys, granted the trans is only bolted by the rear trans mount and bracket since the engine is removed.
my engine has been nearly done for the past 2 weeks. lol. all I got left is the exhaust cam, valve buckets, and valve cover. then I can throw my engine in. im just waiting till I finish painting the engine bay. sadly I don't have money to prime the engine bay so i'm just spraying vht header paint in matte black. its coming out quite nice in my opinion.
Old 06-07-18, 02:45 AM
KahnBB6

Just to update for new information, the company "XCessive Manufacturing" now has a crossmember which seems like it may be a ready-made off the shelf part solution for using an early R154 (1986-1992 from a Supra MKIII Turbo 5-speed manual car) in an SC300 or MKIV.

Their SKU number for this is T-ZZ3-TCM

Check out their website and you'll see it. Below is a picture of their product. I may get one of these myself to replace the custom welded 1982 Celica W58 crossmember I've been using for a few years now.

The following users liked this post:
DJDGTE (07-20-22)