Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Whats a good Muffler that actually bolts on

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-02, 06:52 PM
johnsc400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a good Muffler that actually bolts on

Anyone know any relatively cheap mufflers that are direct bolt on's with a 4-5inch tip. All the one's on ebay need welded. Also not too ricey sounding. The louder and deeper the better.
Old 12-31-02, 11:05 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

it depends on what you mean by cheap. cheap like my $109 magnaflows? not even close as far as bolt-ons go. borla makes a nice set with a deep tone that goes for around $600, greddy makes another that goes for about $900, and rmm makes another for about $650. these are prices that i recall from lexuspros.com, and i havent heard of any other bolt-on muffelrs that exist for the sc's. if anybody else could confirm this that would be great
Old 01-01-03, 05:31 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Whats a good Muffler that actually bolts on

Originally posted by johnsc400
Anyone know any relatively cheap mufflers that are direct bolt on's with a 4-5inch tip. All the one's on ebay need welded. Also not too ricey sounding. The louder and deeper the better.
You could always get them to make a piping to the flange... Basically, like a bolt on style. Should could less than $75. With all the resonators the sc have.... it will hardly have any sound at all.

Try removing a few resonators and the sound will change.

Good luck
Old 01-18-03, 02:55 PM
joeyc2
Lead Lap

check out the jic twin bullets. looks great but as far as sound i have no ideal.
Old 01-18-03, 07:19 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

like sc4 said, even if you get straight-thru mufflers, youll have little or no sound difference compared to stock mufflers. in fact, i heard our stock mufflers are straight-thru, can anybody confirm? basically i had my magnaflows welded on in place of the stock mufflers, rev'd the engine and it was about 90% as quiet as stock. couldn't even tell any difference from inside with my windows closed - basically i couldn't tell unless i walked up to my rear muffler and stood within 3 feet of it. however, 2 days later i took out the two resonators in front of the mufflers and it made a world of diffrence - nice and loud, similar to a mustang gt or corvette - but not ridiculous like a hemi. sounds great when the throttles open but quiet when cruising.
Old 01-24-03, 04:24 AM
hiyabrad
Driver

like sc4 said, even if you get straight-thru mufflers, youll have little or no sound difference compared to stock mufflers. in fact, i heard our stock mufflers are straight-thru, can anybody confirm? basically i had my magnaflows welded on in place of the stock mufflers, rev'd the engine and it was about 90% as quiet as stock. couldn't even tell any difference from inside with my windows closed - basically i couldn't tell unless i walked up to my rear muffler and stood within 3 feet of it. however, 2 days later i took out the two resonators in front of the mufflers and it made a world of diffrence - nice and loud, similar to a mustang gt or corvette - but not ridiculous like a hemi. sounds great when the throttles open but quiet when cruising.
Today I bought two Magnaflows and swapped them for the stock mufflers. And JUST like Kylesc400 said, there is almost no difference. It added a nice low (and quiet) rumble upon start up and idle, and not much else. You need to be standing at the rear end to hear it. So now, I too, will go back to the shop and have the two resonators taken off. Can't wait!!

By the way, I did keep my stock mufflers. They are as straight-thru as the magnflows are. I looked thru both when they were off the car and they look exactly the same on the inside.
Old 01-26-03, 03:32 AM
Chris4.3
Lead Lap

A good muffler that bolts on? The Blitz Nur Spec is an axle-back bolt-on. Has a nice deep sound to it I think, no need to cut and weld. It's a lil pricey but what else would you expect?
Old 01-26-03, 11:45 AM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

hiyabrad, i think youll be pretty happy with the sound youll get from removing those two resonators. its definitely louder and more noticeable, but not hardly up to the level of rice. my friend just changed out the mufflers on his legend coupe with some straight thru generic mufflers and that thing is hellaloud now, about 2x as loud as mine. youll get a nice rumble at idle that is noticeable immediately around the car but most noticeable when behind the car. when you open the throttle, youll get a nice smooth increase in volume and tone, which i absolutely love. i find myself cruising around with my windows down just so i can hear my new exhaust
Old 01-26-03, 01:45 PM
hiyabrad
Driver

Default Hi Flow Cats, Dual Exhaust, ODBI II and California

Hi guys,

I recently went to my local muffler shop and had my stock SC4 mufflers replaced with Manaflows. As I have written elsewhere, there was minimal sound difference so I am going back to have my resonators removed on Monday.

While I was there, I got to talking with the guys about running a new exhaust system starting from the end of the headers, adding an X-Pipe, then two high-flow cats, maybe two resonators (depending on sound) and then back to my magnaflows.

Before I could even stop talking, they said NO WAY, you cannot do that in California (I live in Los Angeles). They said that aftermarket high-flow cats are illegal in California, and that basically they could not "touch" anything in front of the current CAT. They also said that I'd screw up the current ODBI II set up (I have no idea what that means).

Could someone enlighten me on my situation? Do I really have to drive to Nevada or Arizona to get my dual exhaust installed? Will I screw up my ODBI II set up?

They also said that the current set up is 2" pipe and that is what I should run, not 2.25" or 2.5". Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Go Raiders!
Old 01-26-03, 06:58 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock piping is 2.25 inch from the second y-pipe back. If you want to go with bigger piping, that'd be 2.5-inch, which will give your exhaust note a slightly deeper, lower rumble---but not louder.

I was told similar about my exhaust system not being modifiable beyond the last cat. When I get enough money to mess around with exhaust again, I'll ask for a few more opinions.

Your car is OBD-II, or on-board diagnostic series 2, which is an emissions standard, amongst other things, placed on all 1996 production year vehicles. You aren't allowed to touch the stock catalytic convertors on OBD-II cars because the engine ecu will try to re-adjust the a/f ratio based on O2 readings. If you get caught, it's a $1200 fine, so I don't recommend you driving to Nevada to get it done unless you don't plan on renewing your registration in CA ever again.

BTW, there are exhaust video clips of my Magnaflow exhaust here: http://www.intellexual.net/mycarframes.html ---If you like the sound of this setup then great, but I am looking for something a little more aggressive. Maybe Flowmaster 50-series, maybe Dynomax Ultraflows.
Old 01-27-03, 01:50 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default oops

posted this in worng place*** sorry for any confusion

Last edited by sc400texas; 01-27-03 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-28-03, 02:57 AM
hiyabrad
Driver

I recently went to my local muffler shop and had my stock SC4 mufflers replaced with Manaflows. As I have written elsewhere, there was minimal sound difference so I am going back to have my resonators removed on Monday.

Well, I did it today and just as kylesc400 said, it sounds pretty nice! I was looking for a 928-like sound and level of loudness. What I have now is not it, but I really like it.

The guys said that it will take about 2 weeks for the Magnaflows to "burn themselves in" and then it will sound a bit louder.
Old 01-28-03, 01:38 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

you can actually hear the difference in tone depending on what mode you have your transmission set to. i usually drive around with power mode on and overdrive on. the exhaust is louder/more noticeable this way, since overdrive basically keeps you a gear above where you want to be for optimal power - this means youre always at a low rpm (for city driving), so the rumble i get is lower, and i need to hold down on the pedal more in order to get response. this combines to give me a nice, smooth, and consistent rumble when i drive. having overdrive off keeps you in higher rpm's where this setup isnt as noticeable (sound wise), but still sounds nice. i just find myself cruising around with overdrive on more so that the exhaust note is that much more clear.
Old 01-28-03, 06:11 PM
MatT3T4
Driver

Default Re: Hi Flow Cats, Dual Exhaust, ODBI II and California

Originally posted by hiyabrad

Could someone enlighten me on my situation
Easy. You are going to the wrong muffler shop. You need to find a crooked one. I know of several who will do anything you want them too. I won't talk about them online though, but all you have to do is ask...be cool about it, and most places will do it, because, most places are crooked...lol

If you walk in like a chump though, they'll send you on your way. If you know how to talk to them, they'll do whatever you want done.
Old 01-28-03, 06:19 PM
hiyabrad
Driver

If I swap out my two factory CAT's for two high-flow CAT's, will it pass the Calif. emmission test?

Quick Reply: Whats a good Muffler that actually bolts on