Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

no overdrive/4th gear in 1jz auto transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-13, 09:10 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default no overdrive/4th gear in 1jz auto transmission

My 1jz auto transmission has recently been giving me issues. I cant seem to get into 4th gear at all. Sometimes it goes sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes is goes in for a second and goes back out.

shifting to 1, 2, 3 are all fine no issues there.
Reverse works fine too.

no O/D off light on my dash whats so ever.

I dropped the pan and changed the fluid and filter to see if that was an issue. Did make the transmission shift better but still no fourth.

I did recently do a 98 cluster swap on my 95 sc300 and i think i messed up the speedo wiring bc my speedo does not work. tach, gas, engine temp work

ISSUE FIXED! update 5/12/13

The wires that go to the over drive button in the shifter itself was worn and was touching metal,

I removed the wires and got my overdrive back. tranny shifts alot better with the flus.

Last edited by chnk; 05-12-13 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-23-13, 09:03 AM
AC1984
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chnk
My 1jz auto transmission has recently been giving me issues. I cant seem to get into 4th gear at all. Sometimes it goes sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes is goes in for a second and goes back out.

shifting to 1, 2, 3 are all fine no issues there.
Reverse works fine too.

no O/D off light on my dash whats so ever.

I dropped the pan and changed the fluid and filter to see if that was an issue. Did make the transmission shift better but still no fourth.

I did recently do a 98 cluster swap on my 95 sc300 and i think i messed up the speedo wiring bc my speedo does not work. tach, gas, engine temp work

ISSUE FIXED! update 5/12/13

The wires that go to the over drive button in the shifter itself was worn and was touching metal,

I removed the wires and got my overdrive back. tranny shifts alot better with the flus.
Are you talking about the wires under the shifter bezel or under the car?