Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

no power to fuel pump, car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-13, 06:48 PM
jschru
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no power to fuel pump, car won't start

so i was doing a little maintenance on my sc today and it was idling fine in my driveway after i had just been driving it and it just shut off and now it won't start. it will turn over but will not start. i did the 12v mod and i am not getting power to the fuel pump or the fuel ecu. i tried jumping the fp and b+ terminals on the diag plug and still it will not start and i do not hear the fuel pump priming at all. i tried swapping my efi relay with the defroster relay as they are the same and still nothing. I'm stumped and everything ive read thus far either people get it fired up with the 12v mod, or jumping the pins in the diag. port, or the problem just magically goes away and the car will decide to start. anyone have any ideas? id rather not play the waiting game and hope some gypsy magic decides to get my car running.
Old 05-05-13, 08:17 PM
jschru
Driver

i'm getting 12v at the b+ terminal and .5v at the fp terminal in the diagnostic port however when i jump these it still won't start.
Old 05-05-13, 09:15 PM
jschru
Driver

i was checking voltages with a multimeter when the car died. i believe i had one probe on the positive side of the battery and the other on the b+ wire for one of the coil packs. I'm sure this was probably wrong and I think I shorted out something? I'm sure someones got an idea
Old 05-06-13, 07:27 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe you burned out your coils? Just a thought...reset the ECU.
Old 05-06-13, 09:38 AM
jschru
Driver

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Maybe you burned out your coils? Just a thought...reset the ECU.
Tried resetting the ecu and still got nothing. I'm Almost 100% sure the fuel pump is not running at all even with the pins in the diag port jumped
Old 05-06-13, 04:35 PM
jschru
Driver

So I ran through everything again and I'm not getting spark or fuel. Could the ecu be shot?
Old 05-06-13, 04:44 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

It could be the engine ECU, but they usually go bad only with age. Gel leaks out of the capacitors over time. As for the Fuel ECU, it might be worth it to spend the 60 bucks on a used one to replace...though, IDK how shorting it could cause it to go bad.
Old 05-06-13, 04:46 PM
jschru
Driver

It could be the engine ECU, but they usually go bad only with age. Gel leaks out of the capacitors over time. As for the Fuel ECU, it might be worth it to spend the 60 bucks on a used one to replace...though, IDK how shorting it could cause it to go bad.
I did the 12v fuel mod in order to bypass the fuel ecu and it made no difference
Old 05-06-13, 05:20 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Then I'd venture far enough to say that whatever you were checking voltage for, or "shorted out", didn't really short out or take place. I'd venture to say it might be your fuel pump at fault.

Though, the fact that your car died while you were messing with the electrical makes me think it was something you shorted out in the process.
Old 05-06-13, 05:28 PM
jschru
Driver

Then I'd venture far enough to say that whatever you were checking voltage for, or "shorted out", didn't really short out or take place. I'd venture to say it might be your fuel pump at fault.

Though, the fact that your car died while you were messing with the electrical makes me think it was something you shorted out in the process.
I described above exactly what I was doing when the car shut off. I'm not sure I shorted anything out either. It may be the fuel pump but I'm also not getting any spark making me think it's the ecu
Old 05-06-13, 05:34 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Run a 12 volt wire to the postive side of the fuel pump (Blue wire) and see if it comes on. Then you know it isnt the pump itself. If you say no spark, then that tells me the ECU or ignitor or coils are bad. Check the resistance on all three and report back.
Old 05-06-13, 06:10 PM
jschru
Driver

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Run a 12 volt wire to the postive side of the fuel pump (Blue wire) and see if it comes on. Then you know it isnt the pump itself. If you say no spark, then that tells me the ECU or ignitor or coils are bad. Check the resistance on all three and report back.
Ran a 12v wire to the fuel pump. As soon as I hook it up I checked the voltage and it reads .15v I disconnect it and it reads around 12v.

Coil packs all have 1.0-1.1 ohms resistance
Old 05-06-13, 06:13 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Did the fuel pump come on?
Old 05-06-13, 06:14 PM
jschru
Driver

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Did the fuel pump come on?
Fuel pump did NOT come on
Old 05-07-13, 09:08 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

may have a shorted fuel pump on your hands. Isn't there also a fuse for the pump somewhere, especially if there was a shock or some sparks when you were prodding around with the multimeter thats not a good sign. generally if you don't get a shock or see some sparks you probably didn't blow anything.
fuel pumps do go bad from time to time, but seeing how unpleasant it is to get to you wanna rule out the other stuff first.

Quick Reply: no power to fuel pump, car won't start