Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

no power to fuel pump, car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 05:53 PM
jschru
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I performed a quick test where I hooked up a car battery charger to the positive side of the fuel pump and grounded it out on the chassis and the fuel pump did turn on. Does anyone know if there is a fuse somewhere for the fuel pump itself? I know there's the efi main relay and the efi fuse but I find it hard to believe there is no fuse for the fuel pump itself. If not I'm thinking the ecu is at fault here
Old 05-07-13, 06:01 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Fuel pump relay should be under the hood with all of the others. Owners manual will show you. It would make more senses IMO if it was a relay or fuse at fault from when you "may have shorted it out". Locate it in the manual, replace it, and hopefully that will fix it.
Old 05-08-13, 12:16 PM
jschru
Driver

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Fuel pump relay should be under the hood with all of the others. Owners manual will show you. It would make more senses IMO if it was a relay or fuse at fault from when you "may have shorted it out". Locate it in the manual, replace it, and hopefully that will fix it.
It's not the fuel pump relay, I went and got a new one to try and it still does not start. So at this point I'm thinking the ecu is dead.
Old 05-08-13, 04:47 PM
jschru
Driver

Well it turns out I'm an idiot. I ended up blowing the 30 A injector fuse. The moral of this story is pull out and inspect every fuse individually.

But for future reference the 30A injector fuse in the engine bay covers the injectors and fuel pump/fp ecu. So really it should be labeled fuel. Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 05-08-13, 05:52 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

That's how a lot of my issues end with...me being an idiot. Glad to hear you got it fixed!
Old 06-03-13, 05:54 PM
Brianmoss
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jschru
Well it turns out I'm an idiot. I ended up blowing the 30 A injector fuse. The moral of this story is pull out and inspect every fuse individually.

But for future reference the 30A injector fuse in the engine bay covers the injectors and fuel pump/fp ecu. So really it should be labeled fuel. Thanks everyone for your help!
Just had the same problem thanks for posting. But unfortunately I changed my fuel pump, fuel filter, did 12v mod, and bought both relays before I figured out it was the damn fuse lol. Oh well ya live and learn.
Old 06-03-13, 06:21 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

At least you got it figured out. Thats the main point of this website. Spread the knowledge and share it with everyone.
Old 06-03-13, 11:54 PM
Brianmoss
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some one should sticky this thread because this problem has been posted hundreds of times with no reply anywhere on the web.
Old 05-26-15, 04:02 PM
royjackson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jschru
so i was doing a little maintenance on my sc today and it was idling fine in my driveway after i had just been driving it and it just shut off and now it won't start. it will turn over but will not start. i did the 12v mod and i am not getting power to the fuel pump or the fuel ecu. i tried jumping the fp and b+ terminals on the diag plug and still it will not start and i do not hear the fuel pump priming at all. i tried swapping my efi relay with the defroster relay as they are the same and still nothing. I'm stumped and everything ive read thus far either people get it fired up with the 12v mod, or jumping the pins in the diag. port, or the problem just magically goes away and the car will decide to start. anyone have any ideas? id rather not play the waiting game and hope some gypsy magic decides to get my car running.
fuel pump ecu located in the rear quarter panel inside
Old 06-19-15, 10:17 PM
LEXUSver
Driver School Candidate

It might help if you read my previous posting on this. I included schematic diagram to help with the troubleshooting process. It might not help you now but who knows in the future. You did the right thing but it has to be logical troubleshooting: start with the fuse, next the relay, FP ECU, you do the Fuel Pump last (due to safety concern). When you first turn on the car without the rear seat, you should hear a humming noise coming from the fuel pump (an indication that it is OK). I replaced mine twice already and for both cases, the FP coil was OPEN (infinity/OL).
Old 12-19-18, 04:09 PM
chlenz62
Driver School Candidate

I just found a blown 10 Amp fuse. Car now runs again but the fuse must have blown for a reason. I'm buying a new fuel pump for insurance.
Old 01-01-21, 02:05 PM
Amosotis
Driver School Candidate

similar problem wit my 03 es300. I've checked with a tester that can send power that the hot line (blue)on the fuel pump is not receiving power. Even sprayed starter fluid directly and jumped it to another running car and it worked but died immediately. Change cam sensor, plugs, even checked compression.
security light is flashing with doors unlocked and opened and locked and closed? Did get a code, P0348. Turned key to ON position and the c/opn relay does not click? swapped it with the horn relay, still dosent click. The horn relay clicks other wise on its own. ... lost