Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 Fuel line replacement north of filter. Where does it start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-13, 03:46 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sc400 Fuel line replacement north of filter. Where does it start?

Hi,
I have to replace a broken fuel line on an Sc400. Unless someone has another better idea, I intend to see where the line starts, and replace the line from there to the fuel filter with high pressure steel braided line custom made from a shop. I dont know how long or thick a line to get or how to describe the fitting on the north (motor) side. I can just take the filter with me for the other fitting.

how should i describe the line I need?
Or does anyone have a diagram that shows more detail up near the motor where this line starts then this diagram?

Thank You
Attached Thumbnails Sc400 Fuel line replacement north of filter. Where does it start?-fuelfilter.jpg  

Last edited by Studiogeek; 05-05-13 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-05-13, 03:52 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would just buy AN style lines with fittings and replace it that way. Cost maybe with fittings is around 150 or so.
Old 05-05-13, 04:14 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
I would just buy AN style lines with fittings and replace it that way. Cost maybe with fittings is around 150 or so.
How is this?

Brand:Summit Racing
Manufacturer's Part Number:SUM-230820
Part Type:AN Hose
Product Line:Summit Racing® Stainless Steel Hose
Summit Racing Part Number:SUM-230820

Hose Size:-8 AN
PTFE Lined:No
Hose Length (ft):20.000
Outer Material:Braided stainless steel
Hose Color:Natural
Hose Material:Rubber
Hose Inside Diameter (in):0.438 in.
Hose Outside Diameter:0.641 in.
Minimum Recommended Temperature:-40 degrees F
Maximum Recommended Temperature:300 degrees F
Maximum Operating Pressure (psi):1,000 psi
Quantity:Sold individually.

20 Ft - 76.95$

Are any of THESE better?

Thank you,

SG

Last edited by Studiogeek; 05-05-13 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-05-13, 04:38 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

It requires a size -4 or -6AN line. Closer to stock is -4AN. The rear seat will have to come out. Make sure the gas tank is below 1/2 way in gas. Remove the cover to the gas tank. Buy the appropriate fittings and an inline fuel filter by AERO. You wont use the stock filter anymore. If you use the -6 it is an upgrade. You can run this new line to the back of the fuel rail, near the firewall. They make all kinds of adapters, and couplings for just about any size. I would say 17 feet will be plenty of line. You can cut the line down if needed, and if too long. There is plenty of YouTube videos out there that has great detailed right ups on how to cut and mate the couplings. I can pull my invoice and give you an idea on what to get started.
Old 05-05-13, 04:40 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Oh yeah, while you are at it, I would bypass the stock fuel ECU and run a straight power source from battery to the new 30 amp relay.
Old 05-05-13, 05:46 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

It requires a size -4 or -6AN line. Closer to stock is -4AN. The rear seat will have to come out. Make sure the gas tank is below 1/2 way in gas. Remove the cover to the gas tank. Buy the appropriate fittings and an inline fuel filter by AERO. You wont use the stock filter anymore. If you use the -6 it is an upgrade. You can run this new line to the back of the fuel rail, near the firewall. They make all kinds of adapters, and couplings for just about any size. I would say 17 feet will be plenty of line. You can cut the line down if needed, and if too long. There is plenty of YouTube videos out there that has great detailed right ups on how to cut and mate the couplings. I can pull my invoice and give you an idea on what to get started.
That would be awesome, thanks. Thats Aeromotive right? I'll do whatever is a logical upgrade. I'll do -6 line and the filter. I'm looking at the filters on JEGS site now to order one but there are loads of them. I'm going to read about them, learn a bit and order one and some line tomorrow. The summit racing brand -6 hose should be OK right?

Thanks for that approach. Seems like the move!

Oh yeah, while you are at it, I would bypass the stock fuel ECU and run a straight power source from battery to the new 30 amp relay.
I will, Thanks!

Last edited by Studiogeek; 05-05-13 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-05-13, 06:06 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

No problem man. When I ordered my filter from Summit, it DID NOT come with the o rings for the filter. These need o rings to seal the fuel, so order two of them, for fuel ONLY. Also dont forget the crushed copper washers at the rail.

Here is the invoice portion from my bill at Zen Motors. Keep in mind also this is for my 1JZ, but the length should be the same.

(1) 610020 hose End, -... Hose End, - 6 Straight
(1) 610160 Hose End -... 610160 Hose End -6 90 degree
632080 Proflex SS ... 632080 Proflex SS Hose
15' -6 Stainless hose
1 660350 Union Flar... 660350 Union Flare -6
1 660363 Adaptor fitting. Flare union. #8
1 661890 -6 bulkhea... 661890 -6 bulkhead nut

This should get you real close.
Old 05-05-13, 06:28 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

No problem man. When I ordered my filter from Summit, it DID NOT come with the o rings for the filter. These need o rings to seal the fuel, so order two of them, for fuel ONLY. Also dont forget the crushed copper washers at the rail.

Here is the invoice portion from my bill at Zen Motors. Keep in mind also this is for my 1JZ, but the length should be the same.

(1) 610020 hose End, -... Hose End, - 6 Straight
(1) 610160 Hose End -... 610160 Hose End -6 90 degree
632080 Proflex SS ... 632080 Proflex SS Hose
15' -6 Stainless hose
1 660350 Union Flar... 660350 Union Flare -6
1 660363 Adaptor fitting. Flare union. #8
1 661890 -6 bulkhea... 661890 -6 bulkhead nut

This should get you real close.
OK i just purchased 20 ft of THIS hose. I will get those connectors you list along with the filter.

Thanks Again!

Last edited by Studiogeek; 05-06-13 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-06-13, 05:55 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

1JZPWRD,
Just watched a couple of those AN fitting videos. IM PRETTY SURE I CAN PULL THIS OFF MYSELF!
Thank you so much man. I would have NEVER thought of messing with anything this crucial before but it looks relatively straight forward so far. I have to get back there and see what I am actually splicing in to in the trunk to add the filter, and find this bulkhead and see whats on there.
Getting through my first tuneup empowered me.
I want a garage now!!!!!!!

Thanks!
Old 05-06-13, 07:08 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

NEVERMIND, ALREADY WENT FOR ABOVE OPTION.

I already ordered the line but should i consider this approach as well? What would be safest? Will running the whole line be a worthwhile improvement, or should I spend the money elsewhere?

Thanks Guys!

EDIT: I went on and ordered the fittings listed from summit Racing. This seems like a better way to go AND I will learn something new in the process.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 05-09-13 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-07-13, 06:14 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Anyone know which of those connectors listed connects the hose to the bottom of the gas tank?
Old 05-09-13, 11:43 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Question Does This Look like It Will Work?

OK,
I have these parts coming, I just grabbed the list 1JZPWRD shared above with a couple other things. Does this look like it would get the job done?
I have guessed how most of this will go but don't know what the -8AN fittings are for. I also would like to know what fitting will connect a hose to the bottom of the gas tank.

Pictured below is what i have so far. Does it look complete (minus copper washers)?

SG
Attached Thumbnails Sc400 Fuel line replacement north of filter. Where does it start?-screen-shot-1.jpg   Sc400 Fuel line replacement north of filter. Where does it start?-screen-shot-2.jpg  
Old 12-12-13, 10:22 AM
phermes1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I was interested how this job went? My fuel line is all mangled from the previous owner doing a very bad job at replacing the fuel filter, so I want to replace the 2 lines leading to/from the filter.

Did you end up replacing all of the fuel lines? Any problem working with the braided line, or would the standard aluminum lines be an easier bet? I'm leaning towards the standard lines, mainly because I don't really want to replace all of them, and I'd rather not have half the fuel lines one type and half another.
Old 10-04-15, 10:01 AM
dricacho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 92 SC400 and since I'm going to be replacing the fuel filter, I want to relocate it in the engine bay where it'll be easier to get to next time. I had a twin turbo Z and the fuel filter sat on the driver side shock tower. From the factory, it didn't have the overkill threaded ends on the hard lines. It was a simple flared ends with quality high pressure hoses connected to the filter and secured with spring clamps. Takes 5 minutes to replace the filter. So I'm thinking of using AN fittings and steel braided hose to fill in the gap where the fuel filter used to be. What size fittings and hose would I need and how would I adapt the threaded fuel hard line to the AN fittings? Going to the engine bay, I'm thinking of using a filter like the Earl's inline fuel filter. What size of AN fittings and hose would I need there? And how would I adapt the threaded end of the hardline to AN fitting?
Old 04-26-17, 05:20 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump, what about the banjo bolts under the tank?

Quick Reply: Sc400 Fuel line replacement north of filter. Where does it start?