Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Waste Gate Question on Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-02, 10:41 PM
gavin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waste Gate Question on Turbo

This may be a very silly question, but the waste gate coming off the exhaust side of the turbo has 2 vacuum hoses coming off it. One hooks to the turbo, where does the other one hook to?
Old 12-31-02, 03:32 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

To your boost controller and/or gauge?
Old 01-02-03, 02:08 AM
gavin
Driver

Well let me ask another question. I have the toyomoto turbo installed, and have a haltech F5 and a S-AFC system that are sitting here. I am trying to decide which one (or both) to put on. The turbo system was used, and so there are 2 hoses coming off the waste gate, but not really sure what the 2nd one was hooked up to. Can anyone explain what the F5 and S-AFC do, and what is needed. I know the F5 will bring more gas into the mix from an injector on the intake, but not sure what exactly the S-AFC does. My turbo is working as of now, except it stalls anytime the after the RPMs come down (guessing from lack of gas).

Looking for insight...

Gavin
Old 01-02-03, 05:21 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Sounds like the line off the gate is for a boost controller. The halltech, as I understand it, controls the aux injectors (1 or 2) in the intake. The safc can lean or richen the a/f ratio off of the stock fuel map from the stock ecu for the primary injectors. If the car is stalling - without being there personally, I would think that is an indication of being too rich. Lack of gas can result in detonation - pinging. But I'm not there and don't know so this is all speculation. Sounds like you should pay Lance or another good tuner a visit for the piece of mind and best advice and/or tuning.
Old 01-02-03, 05:39 AM
Miles B
Hyundai Driver

Yeah sounds like you could use someone looking at your car. A lot of people turboing cars have trouble with the air flow meter getting confused with a atmosphere venting BOV.... maybe that is a little bit of your problem? I would suggest you get someone to look at your AF ratios, and how the fuelling is being controlled, and see what is going on.

This from the apexi website on the safc:

"On hot-wire vehicles, the Deceleration Air Flow Correction function is capable of curing the erratic idle and stall problems associated with open-atmosphere blow-off valves on hot-wire air-flow meter systems"

Could be a bit of your problem, but I would suggest getting someone to tune your car.

Last edited by Miles B; 01-02-03 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-02-03, 01:18 PM
gavin
Driver

I agree, I would be happy to pay someone to tune my car so that I feel comfortable driving it and not worrying that its going to blow up. I have called toyomoto over and over, but they seem to never pick up their phones. Can anyone suggest anyone else in florida that can tune this system, or is this just a thing best to wait and have the master do it .

I hooked a volt meter up to the O2 censor, and it actually does seem to be running a little on the rich side, but i didnt think much of that. I drove the car (lightly of course), just to see how it ran, and besides it stalling after the blow off valve releases, the car is awesome. Its a bit shocking at first when the turbo truley kicks in at around 3,400RPMS. I thought an airplane was about to land on me. But I am really excited about actually driving this car around town...just want to make sure I am not going to kill it.

I guess my next step should be to hook up the s-afc system, and see how that runs. If I can actually drive the car, then I can take it some place to be finer tuned.

Keep the insight, or other thoughts flowing. I really appricate it.

Gavin
Old 01-02-03, 03:50 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The F5 needs a vacuum source... Doesn't have to be anything fancy. I'd take it off one of the lines running along the rear top of the firewall near the wipers. I would suggest keeping this F5 in the system along with the extra injectors. The F5 is a basic fuel injector controller. It supplements the fuel capacity of your six standard fuel injectors. It includes two simple controls, rate, and cut in boost pressure. It is different from the S-AFC in that its circuitry drives EXTRA injectors. The S-AFC manipulates your existing injectors, but only under open loop operation (more than 1/2 throttle). Both can change your air/fuel ratio under boost. The S-AFC may be adequate for very low boost situations, but if you have stock injectors, you'll need the F5 to add more fuel under higher boost. You can get a fairly good air/fuel curve with the F5 alone. I dynoed with one and was within a point or so from midrange rpm on up.

Also, at a minimum, you'll need EGT and Air/Fuel gauge to get any rough tuning done. A wideband 02 sensor is strongly recommended for tuning purposes. You'll want to stay very rich under boost. 10.5:1 would be a safe ratio.

I have the toyomoto turbo installed, and have a haltech F5 and a S-AFC system that are sitting here. I am trying to decide which one (or both) to put on
I would use both.

If you have a BOV instead of the standard Toyota ABV, chances are that you are venting the excess pressure to the atmosphere. Since this is past the MAF, the ECU essentially is counting on this air going to the engine where it is really not making it there. This results in an improper mixture and subsequent stall. The Apexi S-AFC has circuitry that can help keep the mixture in check when running an open BOV like this. Best solution on lower boost cars is to just recirculate the air via Toyota ABV. Its fully adequate for lower boost systems.

I would look at the wiring diagram for the S-AFC and AVC-R controller's on Apexi's website, this will give you some insight into how they work. I believe they have downloadable .pdf files. The Haltech F5 also has .pdf install files as well at www.haltech.com

Above all----Get an EGT and air/fuel (or wideband 02) gauge!
Old 01-09-03, 07:39 AM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

sc300t is correct. i think recirculating your bov back into the intake would fix your problem. i would install both haltech and the safc. the haltech will control the additional injector(s) and you can finer tune the af with the safc i believe. as stated above a egt gauge would be a good idea. i have a brand new greddy white face 60mm for sell. 180+shipping. pm me if intrested.
Old 02-13-03, 02:08 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Scott,
I've tried to contact haltech. I have an f5 controller. I'm looking for an operation manual. Still waiting for a response from haltech. Do you have a manual or could you copy one? I will reimburse any expense.
AJ