Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another alternative for the R154?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-13, 09:09 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Another alternative for the R154?

While I was in Atlanta this past weekend helping my friend on his 2000 SC 300, another gear head pulled up and was looking at our work and my swap. We got to talking about cars and JZ in general, he stated that the Chevy Colorado's five cylinder trucks has the same transmission as an R154. I was kinda blown away when I heard this theory. He went into further detail about the input shaft is different and that it needed to be modded to fit our cars. He also stated that he thought it was called an A15. It seemed a quite bit odd when I heard this, but not saying that it isn't or wouldn't work, but a little far fetched in my eyes. He is an SC owner himself and was going to investigate this issue a little further. I was thinking the bellhousing is also something else to swap out as well. I didn't give this much more thought, but I wanted to ask you all, if any of you have ever heard such a thing??????????
Old 04-29-13, 09:41 AM
SFrymyah
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is actually partially true - Its called an AX15. 4x4 guys use them a lot. There is a little bit if information floating around on the Marlin Crawler forums

Edit - for the sake of clarity, the one in the Colorado is called an AR5 I believe.

Last edited by SFrymyah; 04-29-13 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-29-13, 09:42 AM
SFrymyah
Driver

Here you go. This is a great read.

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...-compatibility
Old 04-29-13, 04:46 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It should be a very nice option for us once all the clutch and flywheel options are explored. Think R154 that feels like cutting swiss cheese with a knife and less like rowing a boat through rocks. Just wondering if it has rear output shaft seal issues at higher power levels like the ol' R154 has. Until then, I'm still leaning toward the Nissan 6-speed
Old 04-29-13, 06:30 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

What a great read. I think I need to change the thread name to someting else...
Old 04-29-13, 07:54 PM
SFrymyah
Driver

I believe the biggest difference you'll find from the ax15 to the r154 is the spline and length of the input shaft. It does seem that the r154 is the strongest of every current option. I think the best thing to take from these reads is to use the other listed similar units if you are in an extreme bind and have them available. The Nissan 6 speed seems like a no brainer at this point.
Old 04-29-13, 07:56 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read about this some time ago. The Colorado truck and solstice have a newer version of the r154 with smoother shifting. After some more research I chunk the idea because the shifter was sitting way to far back. It seem like too much work to get it right.
Old 04-29-13, 08:08 PM
mattjk
Driver

this is pretty old, there is also an Aisin r154 version on the older jeep cherokee. shifted very smooth.
Old 05-02-13, 03:40 PM
sebasc300
Driver

No offense, but OP you're way late. lol

On another note, I have a strong feeling that an adapter plate which will allow one to bolt a 5 or 6 speed(e46 Getrag) to a JZ will soon be available.

I also have a strong feeling that the E36(+98)/E46(-04) BMW flywheel and clutch setup bolts directly to a JZ, well, it does

The greatest thing about this is ZF 5 speeds are known to handle 600whp and can be had for under $250.
If you disire a 6 speed, the E46 Getrag can be had for 1500 or less and they are almost if not just as strong as the V160. I saw one for sale locally for $750 last week just to give you an idea of the great deals that can be had.

BTW The BMW transmissions are leaps and bounds ahead of the old crappy r154 and shifts waaaayyyy better.

I have yet to get this setup in my car and driving, but have spken to a few people that have and they have nothing but great things to say. I will share full details with the community once I get my project on the road which should be in about 2 weeks.

Obviously a custom crossmember and clutch line will have to be made. The shifter will also need to be extended a bit because the E46 boxes are short.

I will keep you folks posted...

Last edited by sebasc300; 05-02-13 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-02-13, 11:45 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ I'd love to see a thread detailing your swap. Currently the Aisin AR-5/AX15 hasn't had a full documented swap thread for an SC and that needs some work.

If a BMW Getrag will work I for one would love to see what your progress is like.
Old 05-03-13, 07:28 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

guys you don't want the one from a colorado, it is different from the one in the solstice I can't remember off the top of my head I think its all the shifter stuff and driveshaft (and I don't feel like reading the whole 2jz solstice thread again its very long), But I am 100% positive you want the one from the solstice before the interim design change where the changed alot of stuff for the newer models. these will be the best/easiest to swap.
this is what was used in the 2jz solstice swap, the only difference on our cars is a different length for the shifter but we have to do that for most trans we swap in, so there is a bit of documentation from a while back actually.
Old 05-03-13, 10:09 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
guys you don't want the one from a colorado, it is different from the one in the solstice I can't remember off the top of my head I think its all the shifter stuff and driveshaft (and I don't feel like reading the whole 2jz solstice thread again its very long), But I am 100% positive you want the one from the solstice before the interim design change where the changed alot of stuff for the newer models. these will be the best/easiest to swap...
Ali, I've read that thread too and it is indeed exhausting to get through but you are right about the early version of the AR-5 transmission. I hadn't realized the early Colorado transmission was that different, though.

The bellhousing swap and clutch fork we know about. That's easy.

The shifter length we all know needs changing but I've wondered if a Soarer, JZX100/110 or aftermarket tripod shifter could be swapped in, assuming the tailshaft mounting points are the same.

The tail shaft I read was different across all AR-5's including the one from the early Solstice Turbo but I could be wrong. What would be utterly insane is if the early tail shaft were identical to the R154 tail shaft thus allowing an R154 Soarer R154 or MKIII Supra R154 front driveshaft to be used. But I believe the spline count was reported to be different so... wishful thinking perhaps.

The input bearing retainer plates on the front of the AR-5 are also supposed to be different. This, I think, can be addressed by swapping in a factory Toyota R154 front bearing retainer plate. That should bolt up as far as I know.

But that thread you mentioned dealt with a Pontiac Solstice GXP with its existing AR-5 transmission, correct? So that solves the front fitment issues bolting up the 2JZ block and clutch. We haven't yet seen someone solve the rear tail fitment of the transmission to an SC/MKIV or show that the crossmember mounting is the same or different on our chassis.

All said, I'm interested in the early AR-5 swap. I will probably still buy an R154 box and rebuild it but if the newer Aisin is as close a fit as it seems I can deal with the gearing differences.

EDIT: Quoted from Bryan767 from the aforementioned "pontiac tranny" thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-tranny-4.html

Originally Posted by bryan767
heres another bit of information:

"front bearing retainer
The Supra retainer allows you to run the GTE pull-type clutch and provides a surface for the throwout bearing to slide on. Again, it's a direct bolt-on to the AR5 case. Thus concludes what it takes to bolt the AR5 to the 7M with the supra clutch.

Next is figuring out the shifter. As mentioned before, the Solstice has crazy mechanism to move the shifter back about 8 inches. This would put it in the glove box in a Supra. There are no off-the-shelf shifters that bolt to Aisin tailhousing and put the shifter in the normal location. A 2WD Colorado transmission may remedy this problem, but I think the shifter is too far forward. So I decided to mount the Supra shifter and housing to the Solstice tail.

First the tail has to come off so you can mount the R154 shift rod actuator thing."
So two things from this:

1) The input bearing retainer plate instantly solves one problem

2) Rear tail housings are significantly different in all AR-5's. I've looked at one specifically listed as "pre interim design change 07" on ebay just now and indeed it's nowhere near the same tail housing. It's longer and from what the above quote says, a later R154 tripod shifter won't bolt up in place of the too-long Solstice shifter. Not included in that quote is a previous bit of information confirming that the tail housings aren't very compatible, although it wasn't mentioned if the R154 tail housing being tested/machined was from an early swan-shifter R154 or from a later tripod-tail R154.

The way I see it, this is still not a dead end. Half of the thing bolts in with off-the-shelf parts. It's simply the rear that we haven't figured out yet but this also limits selection to model years 2005, 2006 and very early 2007. To note, it's the same AR-5 between the 2.4L non-turbo Solstice and the 2.0T GXP.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-03-13 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-03-13, 11:42 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I see you have read through that thread many times as well Kahn.
the front side has been documented 2jz> solstice trans.
Rear support is just a rear support, probably one will need to be fabbed unless they kept the same mounting on the rear. this is really one of the easier parts of fab on a trans swap most dont worry about till trans is in. we will have to wait and see if its the same.

Im not sure if the cage from an r154 would retrofit to the newer ar5, I think its different bolt pattern but wishfully I hope I am wrong on that one and that is a good thought. It seems easy enough to chop off the one on the ar5 tough and shorten it.

The OP in that thread contemplated using the colorado trans early on where it is in your quotes, but later discovered towards the end it wouldn't work out great, not to mention there are a couple gearing differences on the low gears (one is meant for a truck after all).
I want to say the solstice has a spline driveshaft that can be made to work somehow, but the colorado uses a bolt on type that is wierd. Also I think the colorado uses a shifter like the old mk4 and w58 which has a ball and socket with no cage, not sure about lengths exactly but I want to say there was another difference as well.

I concluded if you read that thread and start with a trans from the solstice before the interim design changes, you can get the swap done with the least fabbing, and the hardest part is the shifter, but shortening up a remote cage shifter is really not that bad for someone who can weld. the 350z swap needs the same thing but they came out with a bracket to shorten it up instead of the welding route.
Old 05-03-13, 12:01 PM
KahnBB6

Ali, yeah, I was about to post here again regarding your conclusions on the Colorado trans. There did seem to be some advantages but as you stated in your posts at the time, there are several unknowns.

The tranny mount and shifter are the easiest parts, as you say. It's that tail housing and the custom front driveshaft (or full driveshaft) that it would need.

The interesting bits of those unknowns is whether or not one or two things could be swapped from the Colorado trans and bolted into the Solstice trans to make the swap easier before fabbing. Notably you mentioned the cage-style shifter in the Colorado trans vs the Solstice's remote/tripod style. And I have to wonder if the shifter mount top location is still similar between most R154's and AR-5's.

When you say "the cage of an R154" are you referring to the top shifter mechanism bolt location or are you referring to the entire tail section of the later R154 vs the AR-5?

I was put off by the sheer amount of custom work the CD009 350Z transmission needs to be swapped in. I forget the reason but it wouldn't work in an IS300 due to clearance issues. I digress, different car but it might be relevant.
Old 05-03-13, 01:12 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Regardless if this thread is way late or has been covered before, there is no one who has successfully did this swap and documented the build and progress on here. At least I haven't seen it. Anyway, this thread is getting very interesting.

Quick Reply: Another alternative for the R154?