Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another alternative for the R154?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 03:36 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I am bumping this thread up does anyone have a apicture of the guibo on the back of the solstice trans. I am looking at Jeslet's thread and it looks like a spline fitting also on the solistice, so my conclusion is they are both splined for the driveshaft?

here in Jeslet's thread you can see it looks like a spline.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post8207160
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post8224003

If both of these ar5's have a splined trans then that is not great cause I was looking for a trans that is a bolt on not a spline.
Old 11-07-14, 05:10 PM
SquatedSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping this up. check out what the guys over at the is300 forums figured out, a late model chaser shifter housing and assembly bolts up and works properly on the ar5 transmission so that solves another issue, also shifter possition should be pretty close to the right spot for an sc. Ive been temped to try this out, (w58 on its last leg) would like to find a solution in using the solstice hydraulic throw out bearing with a push style clutch to avoid having to buy all the r154 bearing retainer and pull style pp, arm and slave, ect. anyway check out there progress, pretty exciting stuff
http://my.is/forums/f114/ar5-swap-pr...1/index16.html
Old 11-07-14, 05:15 PM
SquatedSC
Driver School Candidate

Ali I believe all solstices came with a pinion flange that the ds bolted to thats why they have that cv looking thing inline of the driveshaft, I think what your looking at is the flange removed to replace the seal as you can see theres threads on the end of the output shaft for a nut to secure the flange.
Old 05-08-15, 07:32 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was the AR-5 idea dropped? I know Jeslet was pioneering the swap here on the sc300 and then he sold the setup.

After spending a couple hours on the my.is forum and following panther's 2jz solstice setup I'm wondering why more people don't do this swap versus the mk3?

I was really impressed with how tenacious the is300 owners were with figuring out this swap, the thread is extremely detailed and worth the read they pretty much figured out every issue or setback.

IS300 Thread:

http://my.is/forums/f114/ar5-swap-pr...thread-447981/

Swap checklist:
06-07 Solstice AR-5 5 speed transmission w/out interim
1jz Bell housing is bolt on
1jz Flywheel is needed
1jz / R154 Pressure Plate
S10 or custom splined clutch disc from ACT or driftmotion offers a Action 6-puck option
r154 slave cylinder
r154 clutch fork / TOB / Pivot Ball
Shifter housing from Late model Soarer / Chaser jzx100 - Toyota Part #: 3357-022150
Shifter from w55 / late model w58 / or soarer / chaser - Toyota Part#: 3353-022300
- These items are exclusive to the JDM side of things and can be purchased through a Japanese trading company brand new at Amayama Trading online, http://www.amayama.com/
ARP 1jz Flywheel bolts
Driftmotion driveshaft adapter for AR-5 / They also offer a complete driveshaft solution
Driftmotion SS clutch line
Driftmotion pilot bearing for AR-5
IS300 guys used the stock w55 transmission mount, flipped it around and drilled 2 new holes in the crossmember

From my research, some say the input shaft needs to be shortened just slightly however the Panther guy with the 2JZ swapped solstice confirmed he didn't touch his input shaft, that there was plenty of room behind the flywheel for the slightly longer input shaft the AR-5 has.

http://my.is/forums/f114/ar5-swap-pr...1/index11.html

So literally the 1JZ bell housing makes it bolt on, including toyota clutch components, including a bolt on solution for the shifter (late soarer / chaser) which puts the shifter right at 29 1/4" length.

There's also a bolt on custom driveshaft solution available from driftmotion for any rear diff.

Am I missing something here? Looks like a much better option to the older style r154 and a very similar swap path assuming you need all the 1JZ components anyway.

Panther on the solstice forums has already proven the AR-5 will hold the power he literally punishes the thing every chance he drives it lol.

Old 02-17-16, 06:53 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

no one ever responded to this, buy i want to do this same thing.

has any one here done it?

edit: post #1000. wow.

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Was the AR-5 idea dropped? I know Jeslet was pioneering the swap here on the sc300 and then he sold the setup.

After spending a couple hours on the my.is forum and following panther's 2jz solstice setup I'm wondering why more people don't do this swap versus the mk3?

I was really impressed with how tenacious the is300 owners were with figuring out this swap, the thread is extremely detailed and worth the read they pretty much figured out every issue or setback.

IS300 Thread:

http://my.is/forums/f114/ar5-swap-pr...thread-447981/

Swap checklist:
06-07 Solstice AR-5 5 speed transmission w/out interim
1jz Bell housing is bolt on
1jz Flywheel is needed
1jz / R154 Pressure Plate
S10 or custom splined clutch disc from ACT or driftmotion offers a Action 6-puck option
r154 slave cylinder
r154 clutch fork / TOB / Pivot Ball
Shifter housing from Late model Soarer / Chaser jzx100 - Toyota Part #: 3357-022150
Shifter from w55 / late model w58 / or soarer / chaser - Toyota Part#: 3353-022300
- These items are exclusive to the JDM side of things and can be purchased through a Japanese trading company brand new at Amayama Trading online, http://www.amayama.com/
ARP 1jz Flywheel bolts
Driftmotion driveshaft adapter for AR-5 / They also offer a complete driveshaft solution
Driftmotion SS clutch line
Driftmotion pilot bearing for AR-5
IS300 guys used the stock w55 transmission mount, flipped it around and drilled 2 new holes in the crossmember

From my research, some say the input shaft needs to be shortened just slightly however the Panther guy with the 2JZ swapped solstice confirmed he didn't touch his input shaft, that there was plenty of room behind the flywheel for the slightly longer input shaft the AR-5 has.

http://my.is/forums/f114/ar5-swap-pr...1/index11.html

So literally the 1JZ bell housing makes it bolt on, including toyota clutch components, including a bolt on solution for the shifter (late soarer / chaser) which puts the shifter right at 29 1/4" length.

There's also a bolt on custom driveshaft solution available from driftmotion for any rear diff.

Am I missing something here? Looks like a much better option to the older style r154 and a very similar swap path assuming you need all the 1JZ components anyway.

Panther on the solstice forums has already proven the AR-5 will hold the power he literally punishes the thing every chance he drives it lol.

"Solstice will blow up after ONE race" - YouTube
Old 02-18-16, 10:50 AM
gib303
Driver School Candidate

I have read on the IS forums that the Driftmotion driveshaft adapter for AR-5 will actually will be touching the jzx100 shifter housing. When looking how close the flange is to the housing there is not to much clearance and with the extra material from the adapter it may hit the shifter housing. Can this be confirmed? There may also be a twin disk option for the AR-5, it is 26 spline clutch for GM trans to JZ.
Old 02-18-16, 01:52 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I still think this is the best r154 alternative, but we never found out if the solstice version has the same issues with the rear seal leaking above a certain power. I know that jzx100 shifter housing has an extra breather on it (you can see it sticking up right in front of the shifter) so maybe that helps with the seal issues. would love to hear about it from someone running one at high hp, cause that was the only thing wrong with the old r154 other than its becoming harder to find them in good condition. with the solstice trans, they are easy to find in good condition.
Old 03-15-16, 08:48 AM
ExtremeFam
Driver School Candidate

Hello, I'm finally saying hello. I'm on the my.is forums. I see the picture above with the trans on the table with the blue realco rz shifter. That's my transmission I used in my first auto to manual swap in an 01 IS. I used the internal GM slave cylinder with w58 push style clutch. I've just completed my second AR5 swap on my current factory manual 02 IS300. I used the external Toyota slave and clutch for the r154 transmission. I did this just to have the experience of doing both ways. When I prosper more I'll do one with a twin disk. @ what power levels are know to make the r154 leak? My first car was n/a but I'm currently GTE non vvti with gt35r. My factory w55 broke 4 whole teeth of the input shaft. So I don't know my HP but I might have enough to test the leaky theory?
Old 03-15-16, 02:57 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I think people were saying that on the older r154 boxes its right around 6-700 depending on condition
Old 03-15-16, 09:13 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ Wasn't it Gerrb or someone else who said the rear seal leak can start as early as 500whp on R154's? I know the 600whp has been mentioned with the rear seal leak on SF. I always understood it as YMMV regardless of which R154 variant you have.

650-700whp (though I've heard 750whp and 800whp too) is supposed to be the upper threshold power limit the transmission is capable of before breaking. The issue should show before those figures, I think.

Does the JZX100 shift housing breather really make that much of a difference?

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-15-16 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-16-16, 07:37 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ Wasn't it Gerrb or someone else who said the rear seal leak can start as early as 500whp on R154's? I know the 600whp has been mentioned with the rear seal leak on SF. I always understood it as YMMV regardless of which R154 variant you have.
Mine leaked while on stock 1JZ twins @ 22psi so I definitely didn't even break the 500rwhp before it sprang.

There was a thread a while back where someone drilled an additional breather but it did not alleviate anything. I would love to hear if someone had success with keeping those seals in with an additional breather.

As I mentioned before, the W58 seal fits tighter giving you slightly better protection but still doesn't address the underlying issue. This has been my best fix so far but I haven't advanced timing much yet with the S366 so only time will tell.
Old 03-16-16, 09:12 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

sounds like it can be alot earlier then, I wonder if anyone has even sprung a leak with the ar5.... that might be worth looking into.
Old 03-17-16, 09:27 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

I have a friend who's R154 constantly spits fluid out of it at only 350whp.

I think the best you can do is replace every seal and keep an eye on it.
Old 03-18-16, 02:44 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
I have a friend who's R154 constantly spits fluid out of it at only 350whp.

I think the best you can do is replace every seal and keep an eye on it.
:< Only 350whp? Is this a stock R154? 7M or xJZ engine? I will not be looking forward to that if so. That's my target power goal.
Old 04-01-16, 09:07 AM
Flyboyzack
Driver School Candidate

T56 magnum. There (finally) are "kits" available as a replacement for the V160/R154.

http://www.grannasracing.com/product...p-kit-mkiv-2jz

Quick Reply: Another alternative for the R154?