Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is it just me? Or, are turbo "kits" getting cheap

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 07:10 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me? Or, are turbo "kits" getting cheap

I'm surprised with the amount of "stuff" people are throwing at you in this ad.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT45-25PC-TURBO-KIT-WG-MANIFOLD-INTERCOOLER-93-98-TOYOTA-SUPRA-MK-IV-4-2JZ-GTE-/170895767352?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1993%7CModel%3ASupra&vxp=mtr&hash=item27ca2e7738

Is it just me? Or, are turbo "kits" getting cheap-6lcowtn.jpg

1 X GT45 Turbocharger
1 X Stainless Steel Turbo Manifold
1 X Set of Downpipe + Dumppipe + Turbo Inlet Kit
1 X External Cast Steel Wastegate WG
1 X Type-S Blow Off Valve Kit
1 X Flange Pipe
1 X Adjustable Boost Controller
1 X Programmable LED Turbo Timer
1 X Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
1 X Universal Voltage Stabilizer
1 X 16-Row 10AN Aluminum Oil Cooler
1 X Oil Filter Relocation Kit
3 X Oil Lines
1 X Aluminum Oil Catch Tank
1 X Universal Turbo Boost Gauge
1 X Universal Oil Temp. Gauge
1 X Universal Water Temp. Gauge
1 X Universal 52mm Gauge/ Meter Pods
1 X Aluminum Radiator Water Temperature Gauge Adaptor
1 X Mushroom Type Air Filter
1 X Oil Drain Line Kit
1 X Manifold Wrap
1 X Braided Oil Feed Line
1 X GT45 V-Band Downpipe Clamp
1 X Lightweight Aluminum Intercooler
1 X Set of Aluminum Piping
2 X 180 Degree U-Pipe
2 X 90 Degree Pipe
2 X 45 Degree Pipe
2 X Straight Pipe
8 X Silicone Hoses
16 X Bolt-Tight Clamps
Hardware, such as Gasket(s) and Bolt(s), if Any is Shown in the Picture Above

If I had some extra cash right now..... I could see picking up this, a long block, and say a 240 shell (or other cheap shell) and you'd have a pretty mean drift/fun car.
Old 04-25-13, 11:23 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know, you usually get what you pay for...
Old 04-25-13, 11:31 PM
Djfoho
Rookie

meh its an ebay kit you get what you pay for you wont get as much power as better quality parts and chances are you might not get reliability but it is a cheaper option and if you are on a limited budget for going turbo i would suggest getting the DM kit for 1500, but hey ebay kit will still do the job not sure how good it will be though.
Old 04-26-13, 04:20 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Why? the DM kit is the same thing. Chinese BS. Eff DM. Can get nearly everything on their site cheaper somewhere else with more reasonable shipping. Boom. Let the hate rain.
Old 04-26-13, 04:32 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL gt45 in a drift/ fun car ?

That Turbo will not even on that manifold .

They do give you alot of parts though!
Old 04-26-13, 08:50 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vrank
^ Why? the DM kit is the same thing. Chinese BS. Eff DM. Can get nearly everything on their site cheaper somewhere else with more reasonable shipping. Boom. Let the hate rain.
Im not gonna bash DM, but sadly you very correct. 95% can be had 10-50% cheaper somewhere else

OP, you could likely put together a better kit for cheaper. Few things in that kit are complete crap

All oil lines from ebay are generally ****
Voltage stabilizer from ebay? no thanks
Ebay wastegate, will probably last you 10-15k they are decent.
Ive never tried the bov's but heard they suck
Im willing to bet the gauges blow ****
the hks knockoff filter will melt if its hot enough
and the silicon couplers are generally 1 ply composite silicon crap. like autozone grade

so after u replace all that ur still gonna have to pray that turbo is built half right

Last edited by sj408; 04-26-13 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-26-13, 09:58 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Originally Posted by sj408
Im not gonna bash DM, but sadly you very correct. 95% can be had 10-50% cheaper somewhere else

OP, you could likely put together a better kit for cheaper. Few things in that kit are complete crap

All oil lines from ebay are generally ****
Voltage stabilizer from ebay? no thanks
Ebay wastegate, will probably last you 10-15k they are decent.
Ive never tried the bov's but heard they suck
Im willing to bet the gauges blow ****
the hks knockoff filter will melt if its hot enough
and the silicon couplers are generally 1 ply composite silicon crap. like autozone grade

so after u replace all that ur still gonna have to pray that turbo is built half right
Well said my friend
Old 04-26-13, 10:36 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Like ive said time and again...

I have the Xspower kit on my car, with a few changes and it has been GREAT for over 30k, with no issues. Mind you that 30k has been in 2 years, in CO, where it snows, is cold as hell for winter and I drive it YEAR ROUND every day.

Its "chinese crap" per se, like everyone else claims... but what you "hear" about stuff and what you know about stuff are two different things

-Every coupler i got is damn good quality, has never leaked, split or cracked... and good luck finding a 3.5 to 2.5 45 degree for a reasonable price other than on ebay.
-My "knockoff wastegate" has lasted longer than 15k, and when taken apart, looks mint inside. Its still on the car at this moment
-I used the "knockoff bov" for 15k alone with no issues and actually still run it as the second on my car.
-The manifold never cracked/warped or gave me any issues (it has since been modded to fit a 4 inch downpipe.)
-Downpipe is still mint and isnt cracked or warped
-Absolutely no shaft play or smoke from the turbo (been boosted at 12 psi for 2 years and 30k)
-And i made just as much (actually more in a lot of cases) HP than anybodys pieced together kit of similar parts.

So, let the hate on cheap stuff continue, but be serious. Do it because you like name brands and wanna rep fancy ****. Dont do it because you claim the quality is lacking, because the parts seem to be just fine on my car. What, did i get the only good one ever?
Old 04-26-13, 10:56 AM
SFrymyah
Driver

For me personally, this may be a product and advantage of where I live, but Me and some friends had one of those EMUSA ebay turbos taken apart, cryo treated and rebalanced and have beat the straight hell out of it for (so far) 10K miles - perfect shaft play, doesn't leak or smoke. We will continue to beat the hell out of it.
Old 04-26-13, 11:06 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Yeah I'm going to have to go with LookEvo on this one, unless that company is building it themselves its likely all the same Chinese knock off stuff which is available on ebay for a fraction of the price.
I have the t61 XS power kit and have not had an issue with it at all probably-~10k miles cause I don't drive very much. I would just get it from ebay now because its cheaper and the same parts basically.
Yes the oil lines included in some kits are no good, but I usually get all my oil lines from atpturbo anyways.
everything else was good quality, couplers, wastegate, bov, all still working fine.

most of the bad stuff you hear about the ebay stuff is from user error if you ask me.
Old 04-26-13, 11:11 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Brad,

I understand where you coming from !

I run an ebay manifold on my car, the inside looks like **** when i got it i had to clean it and modify it.

it has never crack or leak.

A good friend of mine had his XS power kit for a couple thousands miles and it cracked.

ebay china parts are a gamble, I guess you lucked out!

maybe the newer ebay turbo kits got better quality parts now , but 6 -7 years ago when i wanted to go na-t , the ebay stuff was junk, cheap and ****ty.

My tial WG i got for 4 years still working looks like new!

Here is the thing , when 1 person buys something and it's doesn't work out the whole world will know about it , but when it works out , it's no big deal ! it just did what it was suppose to do.

Sometimes the money you spent for knock off stuff you can actually buy a brand new one with warranty!

For example the GT45 on that manifold??? that crap will never fit on that manifold unless you spend some $$$ on it to get modify or If you can weld do it yourself .

I am not saying that the brand name stuff don't fail.

I have seen Aeromotive FPR fail not once not twice.

AEM fpr is junk , aem fuel pump is junk.

Fuelab fuel pumps are junk.

Precision Turbos are junk ! i know alot of people will hate me for saying that but it's the Truth.

I can keep going LOL .
Old 04-26-13, 11:47 AM
lol
Driver School Candidate

I think it's funny how people are about "Ebay" Turbo kits. People that have never used them always say they're junk. I've had one before on another car, never had a single issue.
Old 04-26-13, 11:49 AM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by lol
I think it's funny how people are about "Ebay" Turbo kits. People that have never used them always say they're junk. I've had one before on another car, never had a single issue.
Actually i have an "ebay" kit on my car.... Ive used it plenty and i will tell you right in the face, THAT KIT IS JUNK.
Old 04-26-13, 11:54 AM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by lookEVO
Like ive said time and again...

I have the Xspower kit on my car, with a few changes and it has been GREAT for over 30k, with no issues. Mind you that 30k has been in 2 years, in CO, where it snows, is cold as hell for winter and I drive it YEAR ROUND every day.

Its "chinese crap" per se, like everyone else claims... but what you "hear" about stuff and what you know about stuff are two different things

-Every coupler i got is damn good quality, has never leaked, split or cracked... and good luck finding a 3.5 to 2.5 45 degree for a reasonable price other than on ebay.
-My "knockoff wastegate" has lasted longer than 15k, and when taken apart, looks mint inside. Its still on the car at this moment
-I used the "knockoff bov" for 15k alone with no issues and actually still run it as the second on my car.
-The manifold never cracked/warped or gave me any issues (it has since been modded to fit a 4 inch downpipe.)
-Downpipe is still mint and isnt cracked or warped
-Absolutely no shaft play or smoke from the turbo (been boosted at 12 psi for 2 years and 30k)
-And i made just as much (actually more in a lot of cases) HP than anybodys pieced together kit of similar parts.

So, let the hate on cheap stuff continue, but be serious. Do it because you like name brands and wanna rep fancy ****. Dont do it because you claim the quality is lacking, because the parts seem to be just fine on my car. What, did i get the only good one ever?
I "Know" about every thing i commented about except when noted, I wouldnt expect a wastegate to look "worn" or anything but "mint" inside. Mine failed around 10k when it simply wouldnt hold boost anymore. Looked "mint" inside too.

For the majority of the parts u speak of are hard parts, And i agree with you on everything but the BOV cause i havent used it. Got a real hks for free.

Out of all people i have no fascination with spending more on parts, but i speak FACTS. Not opinion

Last edited by sj408; 04-26-13 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-26-13, 11:57 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

So then your parts suck. Not mine.

I would preface your comments as such. Everything can break. Everything can fail.

I personally never talk crap about the parts people buy or use. Aesthetics however, thats another story.

Quick Reply: Is it just me? Or, are turbo "kits" getting cheap