Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is it just me? Or, are turbo "kits" getting cheap

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-13, 12:11 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lol
I think it's funny how people are about "Ebay" Turbo kits. People that have never used them always say they're junk. I've had one before on another car, never had a single issue.
I am talking about me?
Old 04-26-13, 12:38 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lookEVO
So then your parts suck. Not mine.

I would preface your comments as such. Everything can break. Everything can fail.

I personally never talk crap about the parts people buy or use. Aesthetics however, thats another story.
.... Its the same parts you bought. Lmao, Nobody was talking crap. Simply pointing out this kit is overfilled with many crap parts of low quality.

We all pointed out how the items supplied in the kit were talking about are for the most part either un-needed or of extremely low quality, and in fact many of us are speaking from experience NOT just knocking cheap parts.

You came in talking about a completely different kit, and then defended it. We were all talking about the kit in the photo.

Bare minimum i would go is the xs power kit, which is what i did.

So youd talk crap about peoples personal taste and preference regarding aesthetics but not about stuff that if failure presents itself can cause severe damage to ones setup??

"screw you for liking those rims and kit! but more power to you if your wastegate doesnt open and overboosts your engine"

That makes sense

But hey, i guess when someone comes in knocking the xs power kit you will already have your response written and it will actually be 100% relevant

All in all OP, save your money and buy a kit that comes with stuff you need. Not a buncha crap.

Last edited by sj408; 04-26-13 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-26-13, 12:56 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

The OP already has a nice setup going in his SC.

He just posted the link because he thought it was a great deal ,and if he had the $$ he wouldn't buying the kit and drop it in a 240 for a drift car project.
Old 04-26-13, 01:05 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Most all the parts sold via ebay or xs power are made similarly or literally the same stuff. Many have knocked them as the same for years as well. They may vary slightly from one distributor to the other but you cant "reinvent the wheel"

So yes, I lump them together myself because everyone else does. Hell, if I had another sc id buy this kit, run it and see what happens. For the price, why not?

And yes, aesthetics matter. The drewgo and treadstone manifolds are ugly as hell and would never be on a car I owned. Can I state an opinion on something subjective? Of course. Its a matter of opinion, but immediately crapping on something because of where bought or price is idiotic. Hell, most name brand hond a turbo kits are barely 1k. We should be so lucky that 2jz stuff gets cheaper.
Old 04-26-13, 01:12 PM
sj408
Instructor

^^^^ Evo.... We were crapping on the parts because many of them included in the kit are of low quality. Not because of where it came from..... You should go over to the supra forums with this one, those are where i see most of the elitist supra guys are. Go fight the good fight!

<<<<<< bought an ebay kit, Were both on the same team. But dont kid yourself if you think the oil lines, Voltage regulator, FPR, a/n fittings, oil cooler, boost controller etc in this kit are built with any quality intended

Last edited by sj408; 04-26-13 at 01:33 PM. Reason: realize it is a 2j kit, just looked funny
Old 04-26-13, 01:29 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

that looks like it comes with the exhaust manifold for a 2jz, which is the same ebay/xs power one is how it relates.
Lets get back on track here though, everyone has made valid points.
There are obviously alot of extra nonsense parts in that kit that you wouldn't bother installing.
I don't see what a ebay voltage regulator has to do with a turbo kit at all and wouldn't trust that for sure.

The best thing to do is to just go out and choose each part yourself, that way you are happy with what you get.
There is not much of a price break on the "kits" online anyways, so cut out all the middlemen and just get what you want custom parts or knockoffs.
In general, all turbo parts at least for na-t seem to be getting cheaper.. unless its a T6 manifold.. those are pricey.
Old 04-26-13, 01:31 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

When I clicked the link, it says its a 2jz kit, albeit gte.

Fair point that the electronics may be at issue. But I cant speak to it, ive never run em. Who knows, they may work great. I csnt imagine the voltage stabilizer is some intricate part to screw up, id probably not run it anyways. Gauges arent foolproof, but as long as they work, who am I to knock em. Chinese (Ebay) stuff is coming up in quality. I just want the blind hate of cheaper stuff to dissipate because its ****ing brand *****s that have killed the pricing on parts for our cars and its stupid.
Old 04-26-13, 01:42 PM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by lookEVO
When I clicked the link, it says its a 2jz kit, albeit gte.

Fair point that the electronics may be at issue. But I cant speak to it, ive never run em. Who knows, they may work great. I csnt imagine the voltage stabilizer is some intricate part to screw up, id probably not run it anyways. Gauges arent foolproof, but as long as they work, who am I to knock em. Chinese (Ebay) stuff is coming up in quality. I just want the blind hate of cheaper stuff to dissipate because its ****ing brand *****s that have killed the pricing on parts for our cars and its stupid.
Well alot of those brands charge more because they were the ones doing the R&D for these items, china offers them cheaper due to stealing the design and replicating.
Hence why its so cheap for them to do so, not because they are just good intention enthusiasts like you or i and want to stick it to the big "Elitist" brands

I totally understand and agree with you regarding the poor elitist attitude about parts, but one has to understand many of this country's economic problems stem from people settling to buy cheapo knockoff parts instead of supporting the company who spent tons on r&d for the items.

And your definetely right, chinese stuff is coming up in quality. Which is why its hard for one to justify spending extra for the "real thing" but when i think about what if I personally designed something with thousands of hours in R&D id be pissed if my fellow americans didnt care and just bought the chinese **** some ******* copied.

So one thing i tell myself when buying knock-off stuff is "well guess i cant ***** about the economy today"

Last edited by sj408; 04-26-13 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-26-13, 01:53 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Ali,

and the exhaust manifold will not work with that turbo, and they don't even know that .. You know why? because they never test fitted it . No R&D.

I bought an ebay 4"DP/MP kit , i spend about $350 to modify to work with my car and Turbo setup at the end i was out $700 where i could have my friend but me a 4"dp/Mp combo SS for $650 but i thought i was gonna come out cheaper but i was wrong.