Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

EGR tube issue Not the "two lower bolts"

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-13, 11:21 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR tube issue Not the "two lower bolts"

I attempted to take the intake manifold off to get to my plugs.Long story short I got the manifold off (prying on it etc)without taking the 2 EGR lower bolts off on the tube.So now I can't for the life of me get the connecting tubes to line up to bolt together.Overall is it critical to drive it like this with the vacuum sucking/blowing cause there not completely sealed?I also came across the EGR delete thing?Good/bad?Any input on what I should do?Take it to a mechanic to get the tube on or delete it?

Thanks
Old 04-22-13, 04:18 AM
FrshPrince
Rookie

If the EGR pipe isn't cracked just take it to the mechanic and the EGR delete isn't a bad option either.
Old 04-22-13, 06:25 AM
Tam4511
Driver

can you get a picture? i recently had all of that apart and deleted my egr and cant think of what you are reffering too.

The egr delete isnt bad, if youw ant to do it you might as well do it while you have you manifold off.

there are 2 nuts where it connects to the exhaust manifold and one bolt mounting it to the back of the block.
you can get the one on the back with a 12mm socket and a loooooong extension.
Old 04-22-13, 08:33 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

rebend the tube back if its not cracked. I wouldn't delete the egr if you need it for emissions where you live.
also note for the future you only have to take off the throttle body to get to the plugs.
Old 04-22-13, 02:59 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
rebend the tube back if its not cracked. I wouldn't delete the egr if you need it for emissions where you live.
also note for the future you only have to take off the throttle body to get to the plugs.
I was up til 2am trying to work it in but,the nut won't line up to the tubes.I tried banging it in place but,no luck.I live in Atlanta so I don't think they are as strict as CA looking for the egr.IFor removal I kept all the lines in and just too the Y pipe off.I didn't know you could just take the throttle body to get to it?
Old 04-23-13, 12:35 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah its in the manual, throttle body is the easiest to remove except for the coolant hoses at the bottom of the throttle body. I always bypass those and remove those brackets right under the throttle body that seem to only be there to hold up the o2 sensor plug, and then I can remove the throttle body in about 10 minutes if you don't have to mess with either of those. if you keep those items add on another 10-15 minutes, or 20 minutes if you don't have long snap ring pliers to get to that lower coolant hose on the side of the throttle body thats further from the firewall, which is easier to remove than to get back in place surprisingly.
Old 04-23-13, 02:16 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tam4511
can you get a picture? i recently had all of that apart and deleted my egr and cant think of what you are reffering too.

The egr delete isnt bad, if youw ant to do it you might as well do it while you have you manifold off.

there are 2 nuts where it connects to the exhaust manifold and one bolt mounting it to the back of the block.
you can get the one on the back with a 12mm socket and a loooooong extension.
Doing the egr delete,can I just leave all the hoses/plugs intact(look factory) and just take the egr piping off and add the two blocking plates without getting a CEL?Seems everyone takes it all off and adds the resistors but,I would rather just keep it plugged in and just block off the passage way.