Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Curious about Nitrous.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 02:00 PM
toyolover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious about Nitrous.....

Ok so just out of curiosity I wonder how much nitrous the UZ motors can handle...

1uz ... Figure can handle quite a bit due to it's forged factory parts...

2uz ... Anyone after looking inside of a 2uz would be afraid to I guess. Those rods are like toothpicks. Maybe a 50shot I guess at the most...

3uz ... The rods are a slight bit better from side by side comparison so I would safely guess more than the 2uz could handle from a factory standpoint.

This is purely out of curiosity and nothing more. Really just want to know how much abuse these motors can take. The more I read up on them the more impressed I am especially with the 1uz vvt-i .

Old 04-18-13, 02:50 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the vvti has skinnier rods as well, the one that has the strongest internals is the 1uz non-vvti, but remember the 1uz and 3uz are all aluminum block so its not like a JZ, however I haven't seen this being a major problem on most builds or nos. The 2uz has an iron block (4.7L) for better reliability supposedly but as you said it has the same rod problem as the rest of them.

in short I wouldn't nos it unless it was an oldschool 1uz motor, and there are threads on here with various different shot sizes people use.
Old 04-18-13, 02:55 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing the 1uz is forged but properly tuned would take a 150 shot.
Old 04-18-13, 03:11 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-from-a-z.html

I wrote this nitrous guide a while back.

My nitrous system is already installed but I'm currently only running a small shot.

I just purchased an AEM FIC 8 and I'm going to install that. I will use that to retard timing. I will be changing my straight shot nitrous controller for an NX Maximizer 4.

My plan is to run a 150 shot progressively.

The first gen 1UZ can actually take a huge nitrous shot when tuned right.

http://www.tmengineering.net/gallery...gineering.html

TM Engineering ran a 250 shot on a stock engine and stock transmission.

If I ever get bored of the 150 shot which I doubt I will, I'll do a direct port system with a 200 shot.

On later generation 1uz engines with the weaker rods there are people on these forums that have run 125 shot.

92-94 1uz had strongest rods. After that 1uz models had weaker rods. If you have a weaker rod 1uz you can always swap in first gen rods, or even stronger ones depending on your power goals.

Last edited by Clean400; 04-18-13 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-18-13, 05:02 PM
emoFTW
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to run colder plugs with a non projected tip.
Old 04-18-13, 06:14 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by emoFTW
Be sure to run colder plugs with a non projected tip.
Very true. Forgot to add that to my guide I made. Personally I'm using NGK BK7re one step colder copper plugs.
Old 04-19-13, 01:34 PM
toyolover
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clean400
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-from-a-z.html

I wrote this nitrous guide a while back.

My nitrous system is already installed but I'm currently only running a small shot.

I just purchased an AEM FIC 8 and I'm going to install that. I will use that to retard timing. I will be changing my straight shot nitrous controller for an NX Maximizer 4.

My plan is to run a 150 shot progressively.

The first gen 1UZ can actually take a huge nitrous shot when tuned right.

http://www.tmengineering.net/gallery...gineering.html

TM Engineering ran a 250 shot on a stock engine and stock transmission.

If I ever get bored of the 150 shot which I doubt I will, I'll do a direct port system with a 200 shot.

On later generation 1uz engines with the weaker rods there are people on these forums that have run 125 shot.

92-94 1uz had strongest rods. After that 1uz models had weaker rods. If you have a weaker rod 1uz you can always swap in first gen rods, or even stronger ones depending on your power goals.

Thanks I was considering taking the rods and pistons from the earlier model 1UZ motors and swapping them in or just getting complete internal upgrade. So with 100shot I'm more or less playing it safe and it's still enough to have plenty of fun with. I don't plan on drag racing, drifting or anything like that. Just daily driver SC430 with mods to play with. I do plan on dropping in my R154 with adapter plate from Quantum-Auto.com.. Other than that it'll look like a simple VIP on the outside with nice sport rims and brake upgrades and everything else would be sleeper underneath.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-19-13, 01:55 PM
toyolover
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
the vvti has skinnier rods as well, the one that has the strongest internals is the 1uz non-vvti, but remember the 1uz and 3uz are all aluminum block so its not like a JZ, however I haven't seen this being a major problem on most builds or nos. The 2uz has an iron block (4.7L) for better reliability supposedly but as you said it has the same rod problem as the rest of them.

in short I wouldn't nos it unless it was an oldschool 1uz motor, and there are threads on here with various different shot sizes people use.

The idea is to keep the engine block aluminum for the weight savings. I would like to retain the VVT-i system for mpg purposes. Do the earlier model 1uz rods and pistons direct swap into the 3uz motor??? If that's the case then I'm starting to smile..... I'm only looking to have a 100shot (max) of NOS or a turbo kit. Personally just the fact that I'm going to swap out the transmission for my R154 really gets me going.
Old 04-19-13, 09:25 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toyolover
The idea is to keep the engine block aluminum for the weight savings. I would like to retain the VVT-i system for mpg purposes. Do the earlier model 1uz rods and pistons direct swap into the 3uz motor??? If that's the case then I'm starting to smile..... I'm only looking to have a 100shot (max) of NOS or a turbo kit. Personally just the fact that I'm going to swap out the transmission for my R154 really gets me going.
The 3uz motor is great with VVTI, considerably more power than an early gen 1uz. With a 100 shot of nitrous it would pull pretty well. For only a 100 shot you would not need to swap the rods. You could put a nice 125 progressive shot and be perfectly safe. Pull like 4-6 degrees of timing with an ECU.

Early gen rods would probably be needed for a 150 shot or more.

All the rods are swappable 1uz 2uz and 3uz

http://www.lextreme.com/rods.html

Last edited by Clean400; 04-19-13 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-22-13, 10:57 AM
toyolover
Driver School Candidate

The 3uz motor is great with VVTI, considerably more power than an early gen 1uz. With a 100 shot of nitrous it would pull pretty well. For only a 100 shot you would not need to swap the rods. You could put a nice 125 progressive shot and be perfectly safe. Pull like 4-6 degrees of timing with an ECU.

Early gen rods would probably be needed for a 150 shot or more.

All the rods are swappable 1uz 2uz and 3uz

http://www.lextreme.com/rods.html

----

Thanks I wasn't exactly sure if the rods would be swappable but that saves a lot of headaches.

So 100shot is good with some tweaks to the timing and colder spark plugs.
Old 04-22-13, 11:19 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

there was a debate on just how much stronger the early 1uz rods are, and while most of us do think they are stronger, there was something about differences in the material used in the rods, so basically what I am saying is if you are bothering to swap rods get some of the beefy aftermarket ones, the 1uz ones are "better" than the others but will still be one of the weaker components in the motor when talking about higher power levels.
Old 04-22-13, 11:36 AM
toyolover
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
there was a debate on just how much stronger the early 1uz rods are, and while most of us do think they are stronger, there was something about differences in the material used in the rods, so basically what I am saying is if you are bothering to swap rods get some of the beefy aftermarket ones, the 1uz ones are "better" than the others but will still be one of the weaker components in the motor when talking about higher power levels.
----

I appreciate your honest opinion. Thank you, I'll definitely take that into consideration.
Old 04-23-13, 08:07 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toyolover
----

Thanks I wasn't exactly sure if the rods would be swappable but that saves a lot of headaches.

So 100shot is good with some tweaks to the timing and colder spark plugs.
Yeah with a wet kit, a 100 shot would even be safe without pulling timing. Just colder plugs. If you're **** about safety then pull 2-4 degrees of timing.
Old 04-29-13, 08:38 AM
toyolover
Driver School Candidate

Yeah with a wet kit, a 100 shot would even be safe without pulling timing. Just colder plugs. If you're **** about safety then pull 2-4 degrees of timing.
----

I wouldn't say that I'm worried about safety but at the same time I want to keep this car for years to come so taking precautions ahead of time to prevent problems down the road is the way I want to go with this.
Old 04-29-13, 08:55 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I didnt know that about the internals of the 1UZ motors. Very good thing to know about them...