Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need help, electrical nightmares, headlights cutting off tranny acting up

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-13, 07:11 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need help, electrical nightmares, headlights cutting off tranny acting up

On the way home tonight my tranny and headlights where acting up. Need help diagnosing this issue for possible fixes. Driving on the hwy at night with no headlights was no fun, and driving slow only helped a little

Info on the car

sc300 1jz auto tranny swap. Everything worked when i got the sc

the issues

The transmission is acting really weird
When i drive a little aggressively it seems to shift fine like it normally does
When i drive a little slow it seems to have problems shifting past 3 gear. I feel like it rides the gear for a couple minutes before shifting to fourth gear. Checked my fluid seems full and still red

The headlights has their own issues and seems to get worst with the transmission
after 3.5 to 4k rpm the headlights cut off in general and the battery light comes on. The headlights come on after the rpms drop back down to like 2.5k. Im running 35watt hids with them relayed to the battery.

headlight and transmission issue combined

When the tranny doesnt want to shift to fourth the headlights cut off, battery light comes on, the abs light comes on,

Possible sources

Main drivers side harness
within the past year or so the tires have gotten to my drivers side main harness. did not eat through any wires. electrical taped exposed wires and relocated through engine bay.

passenger side harnesses

completely eaten through abs sensor harness, exposed wires did touch my intecooler piping. soldered new wires and tucked to more secure spot

airbag sensor harness
completely eaten through my airbag harness, exposes wires did touch metal on body. soldered new wires and relocated trough engine bay

ecu possibly?

When the issues began

first noticed the issues when the abs sensor wire got eat through. the airbag harness was not eaten through yet.

issue did not start happening when the main harness was eaten through by the tire

update 5/12/13 ISSUES FIXED

tranny issue resolved here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...nsmission.html

electrical issue was alternator replaced and everything is good again

Last edited by chnk; 05-12-13 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-16-13, 06:50 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

anyone? 10char
Old 04-16-13, 07:56 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First it sounds like you have an Alternator/ battery problem to me.