Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rear Cam seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 02:15 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Cam seal replacement

Is there a DIY for replacing the rear cam seals on the SC 400? I would at least like to check them for wear but I'm not sure of the difficulty.
Old 04-12-13, 06:28 PM
chiken
Rookie

Just did them today. drivers is very easy to do, passenger is bit more tight. just do it while cold, I burned the bejesus out of my hands, I didn't take any pictures because you really cant take any pictures back there. I removed the rear cam cap bolts but did not remove the caps because they are underneath the valve cover. There is a metal bracket behind each plug that you need to remove, "10mm" wrench on divers side to remove, and 10mm 1/4" drive ratchet with short socket on drivers side. After removing the brackets I used a dental pick to grip the plug and pry it out. They are not in there very tight so it cam out easy with the pressure of the cam cap off as well. The new one presses right in with your hands, I put silicon all around the plug after it was installed for added insurance. Install everything you took off then you are done.

Do the drivers side first so you can see how it's done while you have the room to work because the passenger side will be a lot harder due to the lack of space. The brackets in the back holding in the plugs are different, which is why you have to use a socket to remove the passenger side, it's a tight squeeze, I feel bad for you if you have large hands. The drivers took me about 10 minutes start to finish to do and the passenger about an hour because the car was very hot still so I had to fight the heat.
Old 04-13-13, 07:06 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Thanks. I'll give it a go.