Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Compatible Differentials

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 01:44 PM
slidewaysc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compatible Differentials

I've was wondering if someone has a list of the different types of diffs you can swap into the SC.

I was looking for which Lexus differentials came with a limited slip, what the gearing is, which ones worked the best out of your experience. Im looking at this option before commiting to buying a 2-way. I've always welded my diffs in the past, but that can be annoying as Im sure some of you know.

Any info helps. Im going to drift it so any input on tranny - diff combos is appreciated also.
Old 04-11-13, 02:09 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Moved to proper forum.
Old 04-11-13, 02:47 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

It has been covered a lot. I'd do some research. What are your power goals? The brief version is this:

SC300/400, Supra MKIV and GS300/400 differentials are compatible (EXCL. Supra 6-speed 220mm diff which can be swapped no problem but requires many other subframe bits, axles, etc making it very expensive)

LS4xx differentials are not compatible with SC's.

Supra MKIII differentials are not compatible with SC's.

No Lexus came with an LSD other than the 2001-2005 IS300 as an option and some year IS-F's.

IS-F differentials look very, very, very similar to SC/GS/MKIV diffs but they won't actually fit.

I would find a factory Supra TT Automatic Torsen LSD (or full 3.769 pumpkin) or go with the TRD 2-way if your horsepower goals go above 500hp. Torsens aren't as durable or predictable at those levels. The best of all LSD's is an expensive OS Giken-- superior to Torsens and TRD 2-ways for road/track racing.

If you're setting up to drift, I recommend you plan on swapping in an R154 manual transmission for durability and stay with a higher ratio rear end. 2-way LSDs are more suited for drifting, just like welding a diff. Difference being that there is still some limited slip with a 2-way which will help with street ability.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-11-13 at 07:25 PM. Reason: forgot to reference TT 6-speed diff and auto TT diff specifics
Old 04-11-13, 03:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

what he said you basically want one from a TT supra but it has to be an automatic (10 bolt version).
If you get one from a 6 spd, it will not swap into your diff, you will need the whole 6 spd pumpkin + axle etc.. etc.. everyone goes with the auto TT either factory or aftermarket TRD or kaaz etc.
If you plan on swapping a 6 spd in, then maybe the 6 spd pumpkin may be a better choice depending on how you like your gears, but there is more gearing options with the auto TT, because it fits into alot of the other diffs as shown above.
Old 04-11-13, 05:07 PM
slidewaysc
Rookie

Cool, thanks guys. You're input is appreciated. I was thinking r154 with a two-way.
Old 04-11-13, 05:45 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go trd. ive heard nothing but good things about it!!

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...-TRD-LSD...why
Old 04-11-13, 07:28 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

I forgot to mention that if you're looking for a Supra TT Automatic LSD pumpkin you have to be sure to get visual confirmation of whether it's Torsen or open-diff by having the rear cover removed. 93-96 Supra TT Automatics were all equipped with LSDs. 97-98's were open-diff standard with a Torsen being optional. Some folks have run into this when purchasing. Always confirm.

Or you could just source out the 200mm Torsen itself. Likely you'll want it installed to the pumpkin with a ratio of your choice.
Old 04-12-13, 08:46 AM
slidewaysc
Rookie

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I forgot to mention that if you're looking for a Supra TT Automatic LSD pumpkin you have to be sure to get visual confirmation of whether it's Torsen or open-diff by having the rear cover removed. 93-96 Supra TT Automatics were all equipped with LSDs. 97-98's were open-diff standard with a Torsen being optional. Some folks have run into this when purchasing. Always confirm.

Or you could just source out the 200mm Torsen itself. Likely you'll want it installed to the pumpkin with a ratio of your choice.
Thanks for the insight. Is that what you did for your set-up?
Old 04-12-13, 10:03 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by slidewaysc
Thanks for the insight. Is that what you did for your set-up?
Visually confirming that the Auto TT diff had a Torsen? Yes. I ended up buying the entire thing, however. They are not easy to find and you have to be willing to jump on a deal very quickly when you find one.

I got mine and took it to Driftmotion where they removed the Torsen and the 3.769 ring and pinion and replaced it with a 4.272 ring and pinion I acquired along with new seals and carrier bearings. Torsen was installed back into the TT Auto casing. I basically had them create a 93-96 MKIV Supra non-turbo LSD diff. You can apply this to any driveline gear combo/pumpkin you want as long as it's in the 200mm SC/GS/MKIV family.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-12-13 at 10:12 AM. Reason: clarification