Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New Engine and Transmission Computer designed for 1UZ & A340

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-13, 12:31 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Engine and Transmission Computer designed for 1UZ & A340

I came across this interesting ECU and TCU for the 1UZ and A340 automatic transmission.

The Transmission control unit is quite interesting because it would be a better alternative to the Suprastick.

http://www.spitronics.co.za/cms/gearboxmanagement.php

Transmission Control Unit (TCU)

Features

Automatic Drive Mode – shift automatic up to gear for town driving or towing
Lock-Up Converter Control – will engage the converter clutch under safe load conditions
Line Pressure Control –for smoother low throttle shifting in town
User Programmable – to custom tune each TCU on different engines and drive trains
LED indication – to check different signals and functions
Internal Drive Module – to minimise wiring
Progressive Gear Selection – variable RPM shifting depending on the TPS position.
Wireless Kick Down – kick-down function in every gear without the need for a kick-down switch
Reverse Gear Selection – will prevent the TCU from selecting gears when in reverse
Compact – fit in small places
Cost Effective – lots of features for relative low cost
SA Manufactured Product – good backup support and repairs

Cost $270 US. Pretty cheap solution to manually control your A340 autobox!

Cheaper than Suprastick but with more features. And is supported where as Suprastick support is pretty much dead.

Next up the Spitronics ECU

On their site they have a Lexus Spitronics ECU. So everything is ready in the kit including software harness and map sensor to get you started.

Venus ECU Features

Small Compact Design easy to hide in small places like motorcycles
6 On-board Ignition and Injector Drivers – any combination for specific engines
With F10 Extreme Firing Module this can be expanded to 9 Drivers
2 Self-Protected General Purpose Outputs for idle and fan control etc.
Self-Protected Safety Fuel relay output
Self-Protected Scalable RPM Output to calibrate rev-counters
2 ECU’s can be connected to double the drivers for larger engine configuration
4 Different injection methods from Batch to Full Sequential injection
Closed Loop Lambda Control for improved fuel economy
Cold Start and Idle Control for more drivable engines
Over Boost Protection against waste gate failure
Over Heat Protection will put the ECU in limp mode
Micro Fuelling for duel-injectors systems – easy setup with no feel change-over
Map sensor synchronisation for throttle engines for best vacuum signal
Full sequential injection for throttle engines with injectors in front of ram tubes
V-tech Control versus TPS Load
Selectable 1 to 4 Bar External MAP Sensors
Launch Control in Three Selectable Modes
3 x Selectable Engine Limiter Options – Soft, Hard and Bang! mode
Start-up Maps Included – some are more than 90% spot on
Tuneable without Dyno
Easy to use isolated USB Interface Cables with installation software
User Friendly Tuning Software with Compensation Maps
Easy Drawing Layouts and Instruction Manual
Easy to follow Start-up Procedure to prevent damage

The ECU kits come standard with wiring looms, relays, MAP sensor in protective casing,
as well as a CD with wiring diagrams, software, installation manual and start up maps.

$385

Considering these two products are being sold specifically for Lexus/Toyota 1UZ and A340 transmission control they seem like cheap alternatives to other ECU's out there.

Thought I'd share some interesting products I found. The ECU is interesting for people with manual swap and the TCU is great for people with the autobox still. Either way I might consider these in the future.

http://www.spitronics.co.za/cms/index.php
http://www.lexusv8conversions.co.za/wmenu.php

Thoughts? Opinions? Came across this while googling.

A big plus is that software is free... and it comes with harness for both ECU and TCU for our cars.

Last edited by Clean400; 03-30-13 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-30-13, 09:54 PM
NixusSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i see the specific package for the ls400, would that be the application you're referring to?
i would be curious if this TCU would be operable with paddle shifter kits, love the price.
Old 03-30-13, 10:05 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NixusSC
i see the specific package for the ls400, would that be the application you're referring to?
i would be curious if this TCU would be operable with paddle shifter kits, love the price.
They seem to have multiple Lexus packages for their TCU. I'm not sure which one would be best for the SC400.

I'm also considering the the Venus aftermarket engine management unit. I'm sure 20-30hp over stock tune is achievable. With this installed if I ever decide to slap on a Vortech supercharger I could tune that as well.

Seems like a good price to me. I wonder how much shipping is?

If the Venus ECU can control my Nitrous progressively I'll order it right away. I was reading the manual and it can control nitrous with RPM and TPS. Doesn't say anything about progressive nitrous but I'll give the shop a call.

Last edited by Clean400; 03-31-13 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 05:24 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

So I got a quote from Spitronics.

The Lexus kit comes out to $464 shipped to Canada. That's really cheap for a stand alone!

ECU Venus Lexus Kit
ECU Venus Advance
Harness E27 - 10Way
Harness E24 - 12 Way
Harness IN01 (Injector Lexus)
Map Sensor 1Bar with Holder
Lexus 36-1 Gear 1
Idle Controller Type 1 - 6 Wire
Harness S01 - 8 Way (F9 Idle)
Spitronics USB Cable - Venus

Comes with all of that. And the software is free. I've been reading up on it on random webpages and forums and everyone seems to be really happy with it.

Just got this e-mail response from Spitronics

Yes it is possible to run your stock ECU and incorporate the Spitronics on the system. The only problem is the system runs of a different crank gear set-up (36-1) opposed to the 12 tooth gear of the Lexus. That is not a problem because we can back feed an 12 tooth signal to the standard ECU. That will help then to keep the old ECU alive and then make it possible for you to take control of the ignition and injection side of the engine.

This is good news because I can keep the stock ECU in place to control other functions in the car (immobilizer, cruise control, factory alarm, door locks). The best part I can let the factory ECU control the automatic transmission. Which I'm quite satisfied with. Then later down the road maybe get the TCU.

Last edited by Clean400; 04-09-13 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-05-14, 05:28 AM
Fubari33t
Driver School Candidate

I'm just going to bump this up for more to see. I'm very interested. I'm working on using a 7730 ECU with our car's, but for that price. screw that!
Old 03-06-14, 11:23 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suppose this wont work on manual swaps eh?
Old 04-11-14, 04:09 AM
s1984
Driver

I will bump this thread because i want to use the Spitroncis TCU.
Can i use this TCU with my A340E that has the line pressure cable or do i need the electronic A340 version?
Old 09-27-15, 03:54 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Has any more come of this? Every time I search for anything A/T-control related, this thread is one of the few that pops up.

I've been thinking that the SC400 [edit: tranny] may not be the performance bottleneck everyone assumes it to be. A M/T swap has been at the top of my wish list, but then I read about all the complications (speed sensor, speedo calibration, tranny tunnel heat) on top of installation challenges and cost, and I'm reminded of how smooth and peppy the A/T is in certain scenarios.

With the 4th solenoid bypass (aka "anti-squat wire") done, it shifts very crisply through the gears and is shockingly quick for a car regarded these days as a bit lazy. (FWIW, I've lightened the car nearly 200 lbs, which has really brought it to life.) Where it still seems lethargic is rolling starts in second gear, such as in stop and go traffic.

So, that brought me back to this thread, in search for any sort of aftermarket transmission controller. I'm thinking the tranny itself is fine, but being electronically controlled, the ECU is the part that doesn't keep up.

Last edited by t2d2; 09-27-15 at 08:20 PM.