Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel management NA-T

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 09:40 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel management NA-T

Any of you guys going through emissions with your nat setup? I live in AZ and emissions for OBDII cars is just a plug in to check for codes, and gas cap test. No visual, and no sniffer test.

What do you guys recommend for fuel management? I assume I would need to keep the stock ecu so that they can plug into it.
Old 03-28-13, 01:05 PM
geogolf
Driver School Candidate

Default nat

dont have in pa sorry
Old 03-28-13, 01:06 PM
geogolf
Driver School Candidate

Default emissions

yes they do have them
Old 03-28-13, 01:28 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

If you are 98+ (vvti) you probably want a piggyback setup althogh they are a pain to get working properly, but then you can still plug in and all the good stuff. look into the aem fic and check the IS forums, they deal with this more often than we do.

If you are 96 or 97 (odb2 non-vvti), you can also do the TT ecu mod with a usdm odb2 2jzgte ecu, and that can be made to plug in and would be good for a turbo setup obviously, but it will take some re-wiring.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-28-13 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-28-13, 11:23 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
If you are 98+ (vvti) you probably want a piggyback setup althogh they are a pain to get working properly, but then you can still plug in and all the good stuff. look into the aem fic and check the IS forums, they deal with this more often than we do.

If you are 96 or 97 (odb2 non-vvti), you can also do the TT ecu mod with a usdm odb2 2jzgte ecu, and that can be made to plug in and would be good for a turbo setup obviously, but it will take some re-wiring.
Good info. Yes, I have a '97 non vvti OBDII so I guess the tt ecu is the way to go. I'll have to do some research on that. Swapping out the ecu, I would assume there is some laws somewhere saying that I have to use one from the same year or newer? Kinda like engine swaps? Do you have any links to a good thread about this? If not, thats cool, just thought I'd ask.
Old 03-29-13, 08:39 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I have never heard of the year thing with ecu's that mostly for engine swaps, but if they are the same engine or ecu Im not sure there is a way to tell what year it is (unless you are a 2jz junkie), just what range of years, they mostly just don't want you to downgrade to an older gen motor.

anyways it would be from a 96 or newer supra turbo from the US, because in the US the supras never got vvti, so all the supras that are turbo and 96+ have that odb2 ecu that is non-vvti.

I have a thread on the main forum for wiring up a odb1 TT ecu. it will be similar to that.
post 4 relates to USDM ecu's, as they have 550cc injectors and need a TT maf and TT map sensor to work.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...t-ecu-mod.html

If you were to do the wiring mods in the thread, and match the o2 sensors to whatever the TT setup is, you could wire in one of these and should be able to get rid of any codes that come up from there. once you do that you have a turbo ecu and it will plug in and all that good stuff, it is practically the same motor is why it works.

also we had a more specific discussion in here on this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-obd2-car.html

There are also some places that will perform these mods on your harness, it can be pricey but may or not be worth it depending on how comfortable you are with electronics.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-29-13 at 08:43 AM.